Does Apple know when a user Jailbreaks their iDevice?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kdesign7, Jul 31, 2011.

1. kdesign7 macrumors 6502a

A friend of mine that works for a Cellular Carrier here in Canada told me that - Whenever a user Jailbreaks their device, a small piece of information is then sent from the device, back to Apple's servers then the phone itself is flagged as being Jailbroken, thus voiding the warranty.

PERSONALLY - I dont think this is true - I mean, I know Jailbreaking is legal, yes... I also know that when you do Jailbreak it will void the warranty of the iDevice (but then, restoring fixes that issue)

I tried to explain that Jailbreaking is legal - which he agreed, but it is to his knowledge and such within his company that apparently Apple does indeed receive confirmation that Jailbreaking has occurred... Could anyone verify this?

Second question - Also, Here in Canada the iPhone 4 is unlocked. When I told him that I could take the SIM card out of my other friends iPhone 4 who is on Rogers, and put it into my iPhone 4, which is on Bell - that it would work - and he thought that this was absolute rubbish and wouldn't work at all...

Just for the record. It does work. I've tried it...

AND - just for the sake of asking... he also said that you can 'UNLOCK' any iPhone by pressing a few numbers into the keypad - and voila.

Im just trying to get a bigger perspective on this... notion. :)

2. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't listen to anything he says from now on.
    Most phone shop workers seem to make stuff up or claim to know everything.

3. labman, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

labman macrumors 604

labman

your friend is wrong. if you don't restore the device before taking it in too Apple they would know/ However a full restore takes care of that.. FYI many Apple employes JB as well! ;) Oh and he is wrong about the unlock too. some phones do that Iphones talk directly to Apple it's done though Itunes the carrier has to request it unless it's unlocked from the start. tell him if he can unlock my I4 on at&t i'll send him $200

4. kdesign7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for your reply.

I tend to think I'm well versed in the Apple ways and it just didnt seem to mesh for me. I didnt think he was right either - Strange thing is - hes a supervisor for Tech Support... so it kinda makes me wonder where he gets his info... cause apparently its not right.

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

There was an issue where where you could gain partial functionality in a locked phone, but it was not unlocked and that was fixed long ago.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, they know and they will send a signal to your phone to either zap/taze you while you're holding it to your ear or it will either self destruct.
    Dont do it.

7. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

This happened to me the other night. I immediately restored my phone.

Thank you for explaining what caused the issue.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Who cares? By JB you're voiding the warranty with full knowledge of your actions, so you should be prepared to deal with the consequences. It's like breaking your screen and asking if Apple will know if it was an accident or you mishandled the phone when you bring it in for repair.

9. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

With a lot of older phones, yes, you can do this provided you have an unlock code from the carrier. No carrier, at least none that I'm aware of, will provide this code for any iPhone/Win7/Droid phone. I think with these phones the unlock process is a bit different, or happens in some other way, than simply entering in an unlock code on the iPhone although it could be as simple as well. If you have any older "dumb" smart phone or something like that and are finished with your contract, most carriers will provide you an unlock code if you call and ask for one. Unlock codes can also be purchased, I believe, for older phones while you're still on your contract.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

They can probably tell if you restore from a backup, but they don't really care that much. They know that jailbreaking wouldn't cause your home button to die on you.