Does Apple Need To Redesign The Home Screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Goona, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

I think Apple needs to find a better way to organize the apps on the iphone, right now it seems too cluttered, especially if you have a lot of apps. My desktop on my laptop isn't cluttered with apps, that's how the iphone should be. Have ways to organize apps into folders, maybe have something like stacks. Also I want to be able to turn of wifi, bluetooth, 3g, gps, without having to go into settings all the time. It slows you down. What do you think?

2. zrbecker macrumors member

An addition of categories and folders would be nice, but other than that I like the way it is now.

3. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

But isn't the enitre springbord essentially supposed to be a dock?

4. celticpride678

I think they need to redesign the home screen...but we will have to wait till 4.0:(

5. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I remember back when I jailbroke 1.1.4 or whatever, and there was an app for having Stacks that you could put on the dock and it would basically act like Stacks on OS X and fan out how many ever apps you have in the stack. I think that would be a cool idea that Apple could put in, along with category folders.

6. Smrtphoneaddict macrumors member

Apple definitely needs a new home screen. We should be able to put a picture in background and I like the stacks idea that I saw on a jailbroken iPhone. I would like like a widget screen so you could see your upcoming calendar items or something like that.

7. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

It definitely needs a redesign. While categories/stacks would be nice, I think Apple could come up with something even better. The 16 icon springboard was great when the iPhone only had 1 page of apps. It's really bad when you have a lot of apps. Although Spotlight makes it easier to navigate.

8. travistaylor macrumors regular

Haha, we posted very similar threads at exactly the same moment. Check my post out about ideas for future OSs.

9. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

There should be a way to install Applications to the iPhone but NOT have them show up on one of your pages. This would be the best and in order to get to your Apps, all you gotta do is search spotlight :eek:

10. con500 macrumors regular

A lockscreen with Notifications such as, sms, email, missed calls, reminders etc...would be sweet :D

11. Goona thread starter macrumors 68020

Goona

Yeah that would be very nice. Something like expose which would be good for the multitasking people are asking for. Something like top sites for mobile safari.

12. trssho macrumors 6502

A better shortcut to access power saving switches like bluetooth and 3G would be good.

13. Appdict macrumors regular

Personally, I find iPhones user interface to be just the right fit for a phone like the iPhone. If Apple redesigned its icons, that'd be more work for the thousands of developers. I used to think Apple's icons sucked. But, 3.0 really made me feel good knowing that I had a great looking phone.

http://www.steventroughtonsmith.com/stack/
    :)

14. joro macrumors 68020

joro

I do think this would be a valuable addition and I, for one, would use it for all the different applications.

15. amorican macrumors member

amorican

I would just like to be able to see my background behind the home screen as opposed to just when the phone is locked. If there's some way to do this and I just don't know, enlighten me...

16. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I think apple should make the bottom dock with space fore 5 apps like the jailbroken ones. It would be nice to have the main apps (phone, mail, safari, ipod, and messages) all at the bottom.

And i was thinking today, what if when you are on the home screen if you could like slide your finger up and down on the right side of the screen (like under the battery) and that change the brightness off the screen. Or across the top where the time is at. Maybe like the side be for brightness and the top be for like quick excess to like wifi/airplain mode.

Or maybe even make the top part of the phone where the ear speaker is at touch sensitive for certain apps or like wifi or something.

Just a few thoughts. Hope i made sense lol.

17. Akira1980 macrumors 6502

Akira1980

The bottom icons on the iPhone should work like the Dock in OSX. And we definitely need a new way to organize the apps. Maybe organize them in iTunes and sync it over? Moving one app at a time is not fun when you have 20+ apps.

18. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

Imagine if you could organize applications on the home screen just like they are in the App Store. You could have all the games in one folder, Media (iTunes, Camera, Photos) in another. Of course not all apps have to go in the folder, but I can see this in iPhone 4G and the 4.0 OS.

19. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

Yes, they certainly need to redesign the homescreen. The biggest problem is the limited customization. It gets boring looking at the same bland black background.

20. Morn macrumors 6502

Palm Pre kinda solved this issue you know.
    [​IMG]

Clean background image with the app launcher rising out of the bottom tray.
    Actually this is really just an implement of the Dock and Stacks on a mobile device. But I still like it.

21. matttye macrumors 601

Yes - a new homescreen with widgets would amazing.

22. svndmvn Guest

jailbreak if you can't live without a background and put all your apps on your second page, swipe when needed.
    I don't think Apple needs to redesign anything, it works pretty well now, a few tweaks could make it closer to perfect but they'll get there.
    on your desktop you don't have pages, you can have spaces though..
    you don't need categories or stacks once you have pages and spotlight, IMO.. I have 10 full pages of apps, don't actually use all of them but I don't go through the pages when looking for something, one swipe to the right and spotlight solves it for me.
    Use blank webclips in order to get spaces between your apps or empty pages.

23. Goona thread starter macrumors 68020

Goona

Actually there is room for improvement, I like the way the Pre does it.

24. cenetti macrumors 6502

Go check out the new Hero Sense UI. And talk about customization. Dayum!
    Widgets are awesome, have different widgets (or icons) on different screens.
    You don't have to launch "mail" to read your mail etc.

that's why I am waiting for hero to come out this year, instead of upgrading to 3GS. I need a change. Been using the same UI since '07. I am tired of looking at the same screen every day. :D

25. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

I like the way the iPhone just seems clean and easy to use. That is apple, not having to go through 9 menus just to change a ringtone or enable 3G.

However I will say that everything should be available in landscape mode. AKA just rotate the phone and the unlock screen, home, everything is already horizontal.