Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

finnschi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
In my opinion Apple doesen't care about us PRO users anymore... all those features in the new macbooks and iMacs... and we don't have any of that :eek:
I mean I really want new PRO keyboards (Remeber those big fat and HEAVY keyboards, those where awesome) and also multitouch support (external multitouch pad maybe?) and they haven't changed the mac Pro design in years... also... the 30" studio Monitor was awesome, but I can only laugh at the 24" LED crap, I want that but in 30" ...

I really started turning to other companies when it comes to peripherals like mouse, keyboard screen .... but I miss Apple design :( where is something for the PRO Users??? :eek:

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Apple hasn't cared about Pro users since the PowerBook G4. :(

Removing ExpressCard on a "pro" laptop? Making the GeForce 9500 standard on a "pro" tower? Really.

Oh, but if you're really a pro, you wouldn't give a crap about the Mac Pro design. The design is meaningless. The design is to show it off. Screw that. Put it in a wooden crate for all I care, as long as it has professional hardware.

slpdLoad

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2009
In my opinion Apple doesen't care about us PRO users anymore... all those features in the new macbooks and iMacs... and we don't have any of that :eek:
I mean I really want new PRO keyboards (Remeber those big fat and HEAVY keyboards, those where awesome) and also multitouch support (external multitouch pad maybe?) and they haven't changed the mac Pro design in years... also... the 30" studio Monitor was awesome, but I can only laugh at the 24" LED crap, I want that but in 30" ...

I really started turning to other companies when it comes to peripherals like mouse, keyboard screen .... but I miss Apple design :( where is something for the PRO Users??? :eek:

So...go to other companies. That's what they're there for.

Apple couldn't care less what keyboard and mouse you use on your machine - that's entirely a personal preference and one company can't make something that everybody likes. Buy whatever you want in that department. You're a "Pro", which means you should be concerned about what works for you and your workflow, not buying a nice matching set from a single company (IMO).

Is there something wrong with the current Mac Pro design? It's incredibly functional...what was that about you being a "pro" again? :rolleyes:

A monitor refresh has been in the rumor pipeline for a long time. Maybe LED will be where they go, but there are lots of good options, and you need to be more worried about getting a panel that meets your needs. If you don't like it, don't buy it. It's just a monitor.

mac-mania

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2005

It sounds like you're all over the place here.

The 24'' LED is crap, but you want it in a 30. You dislike the new keyboards but you want a redesign of the Mac Pro.

The Mac Pro gives you the flexibility to choose your components, if you don't like the keyboard or monitor, buy a different one, it's not like you're forced into specific components.

I think there are legitimate complaints on the laptop front (anti-glare, removable battery) but on the desktop side of things you have Nehalem chips, removable graphics and interchangable components. What more do you want? :D

Major Reeves

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
EUSSR
Apple like every other company out there only cares about their stockholders and overall costumer satisfaction, not a minority. If you're not happy, them apple isn't the brand you should be buying.

Also you shouldn't be ranting about the apple cinemas, they're just 8 bit s-ips manufactured by lg-philips, led backlight or cold cathode, its the same. If you want pro displays, look at Eizo, Lacie and Nec. For cheaper 8 bit s-ips the HP lp2475w.

As for the sd card thing on the macbook pro, well real boys don't use sd cards, they use compact flash or thertering, as for e-sata adaptors or 3g network access cards, well they can be a strategy to sell more 17 inches macbook's .

gotzero

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2007
Mid-Atlantic, US
Personally, I would rather they keep focusing on making great towers like the MP, and let others fight about the peripherals. I have two of the BT keyboards because I liked their small size as second keyboards, and I do use ACDs (but I do not care about graphics).

Beyond that, I stick to third party designs for and keyboard/mouse needs. If they were to introduce a multitouch pad for the desktop, I would jump on it, but it is not something that I think is missing. There is no feature that I see being introduced on the laptop line that makes the desktop line somehow inferior.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
What do you do that the Mac Pro disappoints you? Is it because you can build/buy a more powerful machine? You don't have the bragging rights? Or does it actually cripple your workflow?

Personally, I LOVE the new slim keyboards. I don't know why it took decades to drop the 3/4" tall keys. The mighty mouse is glitchy, it needs some fixing but I use it. I'm too lazy to really go pick out a new mouse - that's my fault.

I love my prosumer Dell screens - not as pretty as a cinema display but a darn good panel nonetheless. I'd love to jump on the 24" bandwagon but *-IPS panels seem to be getting rare... which sucks.

The Mac Pro doesn't need a redesign. At all. I don't know why people keep complaining about it. It's a terrific case, runs cool and quiet - what else do you want? LED's? No thanks.

As a web pro and a (semi) photo pro, I don't feel neglected.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
the 3007 WFPHC and the 2209WA are both great S-IPS panels, but I still prefer the 30" cinema and *gasp* even the 24" cinema is a nice model (despite that shiny glass). I hope Apple can stuff some antiglare + oleophobic coating on that stuff! That'd be nice..

I don't care what Apple does to the Mac Pro as long as they make the base model $1499. It's currently way overpriced for what it is!!!! OTOH, the high end model is cheaper than the G4s and G5s used to be, especially considering bang for the buck.

I love the thin keyboards as well, had one for a little while and still miss it! That was a great keyboard.. But really, the low end machine is just an i7, if they threw an i7 on there, it'd make a lot of people happy (I assume).

Major Reeves

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
EUSSR
The problem is that the general consumer thinks of apple as an "elite" computer and software maker. Most of them considering design over functionality. Thats why you read so much Mac pro redesigns, or the rant about the cinema displays. Honestly I think apple should just stick with current offers, the led 24 for notebook owners and the cinema 30 due to be updated once lg-philips manages to get a s-ips panel with led backlight.

As for some of you complaining about prices, well if it doesn't please you, also means you don't need that computer or spec, same goes for the other trying to justify if they should buy the quadro or not.
Also s-ips displays are not rare, as mentioned above, the hp lp2475w is good enough for its price and ergonomics. If not happy with that, go nec.

And JoeG4 the low end machine isn't an i7, its a bloomfield, i7 doesn't accept ecc ram.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
You really want a "Pro" monitor? Then take a look at the EIZO's.

Yup! And I hear there's an NEC model to rival it now too.

EDIT: And for those of you complaining about Apple's 2009 pricing you're entirely right to do so and buying 2008 models is the right thing to do. It'll send Apple the right message plus you're be getting MUCH more machine for your money!

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
Yup! And I hear there's an NEC model to rival it now too.

EDIT: And for those of you complaining about Apple's 2009 pricing you're entirely right to do so and buying 2008 models is the right thing to do. It'll send Apple the right message plus you're be getting MUCH more machine for your money!

I would love to have a pair of the CG301W models. :)

alexrose99

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2007
Whiney

Jimminy Christmas you people are whiney little babies! If you really have specific things you need in a tower, build one. Otherwise, hush and quit your belly-aching!:D

surflordca

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Jimminy Christmas you people are whiney little babies! If you really have specific things you need in a tower, build one. Otherwise, hush and quit your belly-aching!:D

What's the matter with you. The cat licked your milk out of your bowl this morning. Read the thread title. We have the right to our opinion. Yes I do love my Mac but that is not this thread...

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Um...I have to disagree with the OP the mac pro is incredibly "pro". Its the nicest desktop I've ever seen and upgrading is amazingly simple.

As far as keyboard and mouse go thats a personal preference. No such thing as a pro keyboard or pro mouse.

As for the laptops the design is for the best. I myself will miss the express card slot but many many more people can use and SD card slot verses and express card slot and lots of people don't even know what an express card slot is.

EMKarelia

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
Denver
Company is just trying to save some money. The got the word of mac around people are buying now all they are doing is trying to get even more money.

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
The first-party options for the MacPro that Apple sells really give a good idea of how much the company cares; on the inside, in the base model, you can see that the engineers card. They had to cram a whole load of stuff in a mid-sized desktop tower that should fit in a full-sized one; I'm sure we would have had a dual processor dual core machine except that, well, the only dual-core LGA1366 processor I've seen (on the Egg) can't hold up to the new Nehalems (methinks it wasn't even a Nahalem).

But still, as a company, the RAID card is laughable in some opinions. MiniDisplayPort? WTH?! extra SATA ports? Pshaw. Its these things that say that buying first from Apple is not a good idea. Not to mention the non-proportional scaling of RAM and HDDs as offered.

So; if you want a workstation from a company that actualy cares, Boxx and Sun are your companies; the first only sells creative workstations, the second mainly makes profit from servers. Lenovo, Fujitsu-Siemans, and... Dell all offer workstations, but they do not concentrate on them as their primary profit, either.

This doesn't mean that the Pro is not a powerful machine and cannot be used as a workstation - merely that the company as a whole barely cares. A user must upgrade primarily with third-party parts to bring out the best performance.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Sun maybe yes. BoXX? Nope!

BoXX: Where you pay 4 to 8 times the going price just for telephone privileges - when they're feeling like it. No one cares! Only you care about you as much as you do - no one else does. To "them" you are a customer... a number... and maybe a signboard at most. Such is part of the definition of a company. Any company.

So if you want a hardware and software combination that was created with "care for you" in mind then only YOU can build it. Apple like all companies offer what they offer. They think it's the least they can get away with offering for the largest mark-up within "some" definition of the class of computer they're offering. Engineering speaks a little bit to that but basically this is the crude formula that all companies follow. Apple is no exception even if the company's mascot is a cool-jobs kinda guy. :p

PS: McNealy is actually cooler! Nya! Nya! :D

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
McNealy? As in, the Sun guy? Yes, I prefer Sun to Boxx. After all, I use Solaris :)

Well, thanks for the info, Tesselator. I had made some speculation with Boxx over email, and the rep seemed nice. I guess. But the point was that Boxx (or at least I thought) made workstations for a living; logically they would "care" more about whatever product that they were making for their largest market. In real life, all that really matters is margins.

Although from what I hear, Sun offers the best support ever. True?

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
I like Sun and SGI support, yes. I mean, it's support. It works. I guess that's rare sometimes?! As customer bases grow it gets harder.

The first time I checked out BoXX they were a VAR selling $2K PeeCees for $17K. Last I checked them they were selling the identical spec machine as the 2006 MacPro 3.0GHz + RAID controller for $48K. LOL!!! Needless to say I haven't been back to look at them since.

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Ah, I see - I never really looked at their prices. One dumkompff buys one machine, they feed their entire workforce's families for a month. Too abd I can't see their prices now - one has to login for it now. Wonder why?:rolleyes:

At anyrate, Tesselator, you've given me the idea of playing around with the thought of assembling everything up from the logic board might be the best thing to do. Sure, no "AppleCare", but oh well.

I guess the word "support" leaves a bad taste in my mouth after I finally broke down and flamed a helpless 411 techie who couldn't spell "Lohman" correctly (after the third time of spelling it for him). True, its not real tech support, but the effect is still there. Of course, being a PC builder, I know all about how one can support themselves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.