Does being an active forum member make you feel.... sad?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ss957916, Dec 11, 2009.

1. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

I hate forums. I hate 'net speak' and refuse to do it (all the lol, rofl, lmao etc. etc.). I think people who spend their time on chat rooms, forums, blogs etc. are just sad. When I meet couples who have met online, I shudder. And don't get me started on Facebook.

So I was shocked when I saw that my username had a number after it - and I found out that number was cos I have made over 500 posts. I originally came on here to ask one question.

I don't feel I spend much time one here but now I'm beginning to wonder. Maybe I'm actually just as sad and lonely as the rest of you.

2. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Like you have no life? Yeah, I wonder what the heck I'm doing here sometimes... Creepy addictive. Sad.

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I feel like sometimes I spend too much time here. Definitely. I've spent more time on here than you and I feel awful about that. But I realize I spent the rest of my time being very productive and hanging out with real people. So in a way that makes up for it.

I don't know what I would do with myself if I spent as much time as I do here and spent the rest playing WoW or some other game. I think I do use my time wisely and my free free time I spend here.

4. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Good point. I only get on here when the kids are to bed or out doing other stuff. So this is what we do with our free time? Still, a little sad, eh?

5. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

There's a little bit of me that wants to close my user name and start again - just to lose the '6508a'. I think people must see that and think I'm some fat, greasy, lonely man in a messy flat surrounded by pizza boxes.

Which I'm not.

6. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Gotta post your pic now. We don't believe you. :D

7. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I know of a certain couple who have just celebrated an anniversary, they met online and seem to be totally in love with each other.

Why does it make you a sad person just because you post online?

8. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

While I kind of agree that it can be sad for two people to meet online because they cannot meet people irl (I can't believe I just typed that) it does seem like they're very happy and could have met people in real life.

It just seems sad that I'm closing a thursday night with the forums. It's thirsty thursday! but everyone else ditched me to go do what they do best... and I fell off the doing what I do best wagon last week. So I'll have to pick up my thursdays over winter break.

c'est la vie

but don't too sad on yourself if you have a high post count on this forum. This place can sometimes be thought provoking, and so you are prone to post a lot. Especially when it's this cold outside and you don't want to wander.

9. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I saw a documentary about Second Life. I couple who met on there decided to get married in Second Life, so all their wedding photos were screen grabs. That has the be the saddest of all.

10. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

What the heck is wrong with me? I don't have the "cold outside" excuse. (hawaii)

11. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So, er, what does that mean?

12. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

That is awful... As I continue to still live my online life by posting...

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

in real life. I've spent too much time online. Or maybe that's just my generation.

Whatever it is, my generation really hit the pinnacle of social networking in the worst way.

14. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I still don't understand how posting online makes you sad? I have posted here every day since April 2008, but I still have loads of mates, an active social life i.e drinking, playing soccer for a team, seeing my girlfriend etc. Posting online is just another aspect of my life.

15. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

well that's part of it. But once you break the 1000 post mark. You realize that you have spent literally hours doing nothing but "talking" to other people who enjoy what? The same product as you? How superficial is that? You could be talking to loved ones or making even better friends with others, talking about things, no matter how miniscule, that actually matter to you all.

But everyone has their vices. I'm just glad mine didn't turn out to be heroin, like so many of my real life friends.

16. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Heroin... That sucks. Must be hard to watch.

I'm not sure that I could really explain the sadness of an online life... I may have to look at myself too closely.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I've been here for 8 years, and I don't think my life is sad. Some people spend their leisure time reading the newspaper, while some like to read books. I enjoy interacting with people online. You're from all over the world, and you interest me.

Am I a sad, lonely person? Well no. I haven't gone 3 months without a girlfriend over the past 6 years, I was the president of 3 university clubs, lots of people at uni know me despite the fact I don't know them, and I have loads of friends in real life. I've travelled to over 40 countries, have 3 university degrees, and I'm quite fit.

On top of that, I've been posting on forums since around 2000, been a moderator, and started coming here instead.

If you think the latter part of what I said outweighs the earlier achievements in my life, then I suppose my life really is sad. However, I don't see it that way.

18. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I don't see it as sad. I have spent a great deal of time here, and it has taught me a number of new things - many of which are in no way Apple or computer related. I have learned a great deal from the people here, and yes, they are real people behind the screennames - some of whom refer to each other by our real names.

19. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

OP, it's too bad you can't get over the old worn-out 'internet computer geek' stereotypes and just enjoy yourself online. Do you really care that much what people think of you? My wife and I met online, but not because we're lame computer nerds. Quite the contrary (ok, I maybe am a little...) Both of us had exhausted the possibilities in our immediate surroundings and were looking to broaden our horizons. With me living in the U.S. at the time and her living in London there was no way we probably ever would have met if it hadn't been for the internet.
    I love MR and I come here every once in a while just to see what other Mac users are talking about. I'm not on here excessively, just a little bit here and there.
    Anyway, just do what makes you happy, even if it includes spending a little time with some online friends on a computer forum. And if people think you're 'some fat, greasy, lonely man in a messy flat surrounded by pizza boxes' then that's their problem...

<kicks the pizza boxes out of the way>

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're talking about virtual life (forums and other online stuff) replacing real life/interacting with people outside of a computer,then yeah that can be sad.

Life is all about balance and moderation, a glass a wine is beneficial to one's health. Downing a couple of bottles isn't. The same can be said with online interactions.

I have a fairly high post count because at times work can be a bit slow, or I'm in my home office for a reason. My posting sinks during the weekend because I try to do things that are not computer related, i.e., spend time with my children.

Overall is you enjoy being online and it has not turned into an obsession or taking over your life, why be sad over something you enjoy.

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I spend most of my MR time in the PRSI forum, which can be both a blessing and a curse. I'm exposed to new ideas or to articles I may not have seen before, and some of the conversation can be stimulating, and even quite hilarious.

But we've also seen some goofy, tin foil hat stuff lately. That's the point at which I either walk away, or limit my response to a quick answer or a humorous one-liner or picture. I've got a wife, three grandkids we babysit, a job and a small online business that are certainly more important to me than spending any significant time trying to convince people that there isn't some global conspiracy that's out to get them.

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Nope. I rarely watch TV (up to about 2 hours week), I don't read articles online, I don't listen to Podcasts or sit there and purposely listen to music. I rarely watch films, except around Christmas time or when the girlfriends over. I don't do things that other people do for kicks (driving, holidays, drinking, drugs). So going online isn't detracting from that kind of thing.

I do however do a lot of work on very big projects. As they're saving or taking a while to load I'll load the internet. It's either that or;

1) stare out the window
    b) stare at my desk
    III) walk around the house

23. Xavier macrumors 68020

I have 968 posts over 3 years, and I definitely do not spend all of my free time on MacRumors. It is interesting that you point this out.

I don't think its fair to say that just because you have a lot of posts that you have a sad and lonely life.

24. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

MR to me is a pastime or a way to take a quick break. Some folks play solitaire. I visit MR.

However, I seldom spend time devoted to MR. I am usually doing something else and MR is secondary.

25. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I think an online community like MR is just a tool to further human interaction. Like someone said above there are real people behind the screen. We are simply meeting and interacting through the internet as opposed to at a coffee shop, in the bar, on the phone, etc. I aslo agree with Abstract in that it is really cool to meet and discourse with people from all over the world. One member recently moved from Tokyo here to Dallas and through the MR community he was able to ask about the area and get a feel for how his life would change on account of such a big move.

Now if one finds that being online is their only source of human interaction then there is probably some sort of problem. Balance is the key to all things.