Does being on Mavericks make my system any 'less secure' than a newer OSx?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Yumid, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Yumid macrumors member

First of all I know all the apple people are going to be saying "just update! Its for the consumer nothing can go wrong!"

Which is probably true for most peoples cases. But im still on 10.9.5 because it works good with all my Software (Running Pro Tools 11.3.1) which is infamous for not working with OSx upgrades. So in the Pro Tools world the word is basically 'upgrade once you HAVE to'.

With that being said, would disadvantages in terms of being hacked or anything like that do I have while being on Mavericks compared to Yos or El? Or basically any major system advantages that we KNOW Mavericks is behind on??

An extension of why Im hesitant to update - I have a horibble history with updating my apple products. Everytime I used to update the OSx on my iphone by phone would stop working then apple would blame it on something else forcing me to buy a new one. Eventually I switched to android because I was convinced they used update crashes as a way of getting people to spend more money. Which is making me scared to update my macbook because I cant afford a new one and its already a few years old. I cant afford to hear that same BS again when its always the update that ruins my hardware - Even when they say it isnt. The coincidence became too relevant for me to ignore and now im just simply scared to update anything from apple. I know it seems stupid but its from their ridiculous actions in the past.

2. asoksevil macrumors 6502

Honestly speaking, all these "security threats" you are seeing aren't really that mainstream that you encounter them on your daily usage. I once run Snow Leopard for 2-3 years with no security updates and I did just fine, no viruses, hacks, password stolen nor weird things.

I plan to be on Mavericks for the next couple of years as macOS has once again shown me no incentives to update.

3. Isamilis macrumors 6502

Anyone know, until when Mavericks still get the updates (security updates, etc)?

4. asoksevil macrumors 6502

Most likely this fall, once Sierra is released.

5. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

Looking at the Mac Pro forum, it's funny how the 3,1 and 4,1 people are overreacting because Sierra's requirements changed. :p "what to do what to do??? sell my mac pro, flash the firmware, time to switch to Windows (LOL!!!)" With our 1,1s and 2,1s OTOH we've been trying to keep them up to date since Mavericks came out. Luckily, it worked so far (might be a little more complicated with Sierra, wait and see...). But the first question should always be "do I have to upgrade"? In El Capitan I need to keep SIP disabled, there goes my "super protection" ;) Sometimes when I look at the list of new features, it's like they're running out of ideas (simply because the OS already does what it has to do) but still have to find some new functionality to include in the new OS.

Security threats is a non-issue for us, as individuals. If Safari becomes too old, if my software absolutely requires a newer OS, if I miss iCould Drive too much, if, if, if... Then I'll do it, otherwise Mavericks does everything I need right now, and if there's no way to install Sierra on my 1,1/2,1, then I'll stop at El Capitan, by the time 10.11 becomes obsolete, I guess I'll have purchased a new Mac (Pro hopefully...) :)

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't think you have too much to worry about, unless you have really valuable data and potential hackers know that you are running an older OS. In theory you will be less secure, but unless someone is specifically targeting you the user base of Mavericks is way to small for anyone to be interested in targeting it unless you have something specific they want.

7. Avenged110 macrumors 6502

Mavericks (and Safari) should get maybe one or two more security updates before 10.12 hits in October. After that my plan is just to keep FileVault enabled and both firewalls at their highest levels. So at the moment, Mavericks is just as secure, but even after support ends, I really don't think there is anything to worry about.

8. vista980622 macrumors 6502

The annoying thing is that if that if an app update requires a newer version of OS X, and the updated app breaks file compatibility with previous versions, if I need to exchange files with my co-workers, I have no option but to update. [I'm looking at you, iWork and Sketch.]
    --- Post Merged, Jun 29, 2016 ---
    Safari on Mavericks will get 9.1.2 update.

9. ricede macrumors regular

ricede

Both firewalls ? Do you mean the one on the mac & one in your router ?

10. ErnstStavroBlohard macrumors member

No. Mavericks still receives security updates from Apple.

11. Avenged110 macrumors 6502

Both in OS X, the application firewall (the one in Sys Prefs > Security) and the network packet filter which is accessed through the command line (or a GUI like Murus). They can be used to work together.

Only until October.

12. vista980622 macrumors 6502

I'd say just leave it as it is on Mavericks. The time you have to move to a newer version of OS X is when your hardware physically no longer works and you get a new computer.