Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

protozoa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
Isla Sorna
I'm probably the only person here who doesn't know the answer. :confused: :D I did a search and couldn't find any info... I'm willing to bet that I just missed it.

My local Best Buy recently set up a display of Macs. But, I think I heard one of the sales associates saying that they didn't actually sell them (although, they do carry a large assortment of Apple accessories).

I guess my follow-on question would be... if they don't sell Macs, why do they have a bunch on display? I'm not complaining, however. It was my first chance to play around with a MBA. I honestly wasn't going to consider the MBA (because of the lack of an optical drive), but seeing it in person really changed my mind.

protozoa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
Isla Sorna
Wow, that's interesting. I must have not heard the sales associate correctly (that's what I get for eavesdropping on someone else's conversation.... and with my really poor hearing :)).

What would be the advantages of buying from Best Buy versus ordering online?

I have been trying to find out how to get my "preferred pricing" applied. As a member of the DAV, I'm supposedly able to get some sort of discount. I wonder if that would be more difficult if I purchased from Best Buy?

CalmEnvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Mine does, however I don't see that much probably because Apple has a small section by me.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Wow, that's interesting. I must have not heard the sales associate correctly (that's what I get for eavesdropping on someone else's conversation.... and with my really poor hearing :)).

What would be the advantages of buying from Best Buy versus ordering online?

I have been trying to find out how to get my "preferred pricing" applied. As a member of the DAV, I'm supposedly able to get some sort of discount. I wonder if that would be more difficult if I purchased from Best Buy?

Best Buy probably won't be able to deal with your DAV discount, since they don't do Educational discounts. It might be worth asking, if you're determined to buy a Mac from BB.

Also, of note, the associates at Best Buy almost never know what they're talking about.

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
Instead of ordering thought the Apple website, I think it's a better idea to set up an order with the physical Apple Store if it's some sort of BTO concoction.

protozoa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
Isla Sorna
Instead of ordering thought the Apple website, I think it's a better idea to set up an order with the physical Apple Store if it's some sort of BTO concoction.

Bachman-Turner Overdrive?

I'd probably prefer to order directly from Apple over the phone. I think the closest brick and mortar Apple store is 120 miles from me.

f1

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
If you're going to buy a mac from bestbuy make sure you stay away from their extended warranty. They charge more than applecare because they offer accidental damage coverage, but the restrictions are so tight it's hard to make an accidental damage claim through best buy's warranty.

jvette

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
My Best Buy sells all the Apple products but just 1/2 mile away is a Apple Store in my town. I looked at both places but I have the Education Discount that Best Buy won't honor. To tell the truth I don't think you will get any better knowledge from the sales people at the Apple Store than at Best Buy. Most I have come in contact with don't have a clue about what they are selling. I have to agree that purchasing over the phone is the best option and ask the person you are talking to if they can offer you anything to purchase right now. You might be surprised.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
Best Buys do sell them but at a cost. You're going to end up paying $150 to $250 more than if you bought it online from Amazon, MacMall, etc.

tuxtpenguin

macrumors regular
May 19, 2007
TX
Last I checked the Best Buy closest to my house, they did not have them; but that has been about a month ago.

OldSkoolNJ

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
I as well work for Apple as rep in Best Buys. Most of us used to be the reps in CompUSAs and have since moved to these stores since their demise. Most stores will have one of us. If you need anything give us a hollar. To address two things mentioned. One about the Best Buy guys never know anything. Welcome to buying retail. No matter what store you buy from, Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City, Apple .... some will be great and some do not know anything. Dont group them all together. Second their service plans ain't half bad. They do offer a lot for the extra price and in some cases their plans are cheaper.

If you are looking for benefits
- Constant "instant" printer rebates (they dont do mail in rebates anymore)
- Awesome financing
- Rewards Zone ( you always get money back later)

However like everyone said shop around and get the best deal. (I would suggest staying away from MacMall).

The store that has a display and is not selling them. They may have just got set up. The store probably has a street date. My store was setup on August 1st of 2007 and I was not in there until August 15th as I was closing up the CompUSA I was in.

If you go to the Best Buy link above or here http://www.bestbuy.com/apple. You can see which ones have an Apple Shop and the ones with stars next to it have Corporate Reps in them. Most of the reps are people who have worked in the company for 4-5-6-7+ years and have a lot of experience and are trained very well. Come see any of us.

Kevin :apple:

protozoa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
Isla Sorna
Man! Lots of good information in this thread!

You can see which ones have an Apple Shop and the ones with stars next to it have Corporate Reps in them.

The one that I visited is listed, but no star.

They would probably do pretty well if they had a rep. I had to rugby scrum my way to the Mac display. It's in a college town to boot.

I'll probably order over the phone. There's something very anti-social about doing it that way that appeals to me. :D

JNB

macrumors 604
I have to admit that the Apple sections in BB are a helluva lot better than they ever were at CUSA, as far as being properly representative of what and how Apple wants to be positioned in the market. For all that, though, I don't see me buying anything there as there's a Fry's across the street from my nearest BB with pretty much the same selection, and if I need a piece of hardware or software in my hands, I need it quickly, not the "experience."

The Apple section at BB is more like an "Apple Store Lite," then simply a reseller of the products. Kudos for the concept & effort on that score. I can't speak to the reliability or quality of the advice or guidance there vs. an Apple Store, or for that matter, MR. That's more luck of the draw than anything else in retail today, but I'd generally give them the benefit of the doubt to begin with, as they're Apple employees (and what are they doing posting here, eh? ;))

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
I have to admit that the Apple sections in BB are a helluva lot better than they ever were at CUSA, as far as being properly representative of what and how Apple wants to be positioned in the market. For all that, though, I don't see me buying anything there as there's a Fry's across the street from my nearest BB with pretty much the same selection, and if I need a piece of hardware or software in my hands, I need it quickly, not the "experience."

The Apple section at BB is more like an "Apple Store Lite," then simply a reseller of the products. Kudos for the concept & effort on that score. I can't speak to the reliability or quality of the advice or guidance there vs. an Apple Store, or for that matter, MR. That's more luck of the draw than anything else in retail today, but I'd generally give them the benefit of the doubt to begin with, as they're Apple employees (and what are they doing posting here, eh? ;))

i work for apple canada

im on my friends account...you know... :);)
yeah!

OldSkoolNJ

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006

I guess it depends on which you go to but our store is not a "Lite" shop as we are better stocked then the closest Apple Store. We usually keep about 200-300 Apple CPUs on hand at all times as well as any accessory or software you will need from Apple and Third Party. Again that can vary as we have several size classes to the shops. As far as what we can do for you that goes a long way. In an Apple Store you have several different kind of employees for different purposes. SOme trained to sell, some for teaching classes, some for 1on1s, some for merchandising, some for managing the store. We are trained heavily in all those areas so you have one person that can help you with most anythin you need and also make sure the Best Buy Employees can offer you the same (not always an easy or perfect job as with in any retailer) but thats what we do for you. Make your own judgement though and stop in and see one of us.

No one ever told me I couldnt post here. However thy did say we cant talk about any knowledge we have on future products or company info. Which I dont. So I am alllll good and always here o contribute to this community.

Kevin :apple:

TopGear300

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2007
Yes in a quick answer

If your Best Buy has an apple display it is considered an authorized apple reseller and they will sell them there and Best Buy has also started selling apple products online :apple: :D

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Correct, I didn't mean all Best Buys sell them. They are a nice place to check out the computers though since they are more available than Apple stores.

I wasn't directing my response at you, I just was giving the info for those that weren't sure which particular BB locations they could find them. :)

I'll definitely consider getting my next Mac there due to the Reward Zone benefits and their occasional 0% financing offers on computers.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
...One about the Best Buy guys never know anything. Welcome to buying retail. No matter what store you buy from, Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City, Apple .... some will be great and some do not know anything. Dont group them all together. ...

I know I'm one of the people who made this comment, and unfortunately it just comes from a fairly consistent experience at Best Buy: the employees are not to be trusted.
Now, I'm sure that current company can be excluded and I'm sure there are great people working at Best Buy, but the list of stuff I've heard that was wrong, stupid, or just insane and the list I've things I've fixed, corrected, or otherwise advised is longer than my arm.
This isn't just retail, this is a case of poor training and management. Couple this with the constant queries for warranty coverage, credit cards, or Entertainment Weekly subscriptions, and I end up hating Best Buy.

Plus, $50 for a USB cable? Seriously?

CompUSA wasn't much better, but while the Apple Store guys are often confused about fairly technical aspects of the Intel C2D, they understand enough to work with their customer.

Hopefully, this will get better as people like you work for the company.

Flyer0815

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2007
PA
I know I'm one of the people who made this comment, and unfortunately it just comes from a fairly consistent experience at Best Buy: the employees are not to be trusted.

I am also not a fan of some of the Best Buy associates, as I am a educated individual and customer, and know what I am doing and buying before I walk into the store. I avoid the misinformed blue shirts like the plague. I was however very surprised to see the Apple associate in Best Buy near me to be very knowledgeable, courteous and friendly. It felt like a cordoned off area of bliss within the madness of Best Buy. It is very apparent that the Apple Store employees are well trained and held to a different standard than the regular blue shirts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.