Does beta 4 seem iOS6-ish?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by naasrd, Jul 29, 2013.

1. naasrd macrumors 6502

naasrd

There's something not right in beta 4 for me. The new bars, above and below, in Lock Screen, the pulsating colours in Slide to unlock and the slight darkness, tone to it all. All that refreshing lightness has gone or at least been diluted. The whole look of things now seems to be a step back to iOS 6. Anyone else feel that?

2. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It really does indeed seem like iOS 7 beta 3 ish. Almost nearly spot on.

4. Paradoxally macrumors 65816

5. WhackyNinja macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

6. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

It's a lot less flat if that's what you mean.
    More gradients and shadows, etc.

7. .Asa macrumors regular

No, it still looks like iOS 7 to me. Just a little more ugly than beta 3, because of the slide to unlock arrow.

8. betabeta macrumors 6502a

If your talking about speed and fluidity, yes it seems very iOS6ish, now if your talking look and feel, nope:D

9. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

After about a half hour testing just about every single function or scenario that I knew would crash b3 and this beta is far superior

10. towg macrumors regular

Some people are really weird.

11. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

No

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

Aren't there actually less of those in beta 4?

13. janmayan macrumors newbie

Actually I was seeing some old remnants of iOS 6 in it literally.

Like Dropbox menu bar is still from iOS 6.

14. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Someone help me out here....how does the arrow next to slide to unlock make iOS more ugly? And weren't people complaining that the unlock screw wasn't intuitive because the arrow wasn't there? :confused:

15. bumblebritches5 macrumors 6502

16. iOSOS macrumors member

There is no problem with mixing the best from iOS 6 with the best so far from iOS 7

They should reinstate the slide frame border from previous iOS builds.

Attached Files:

17. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

Why?

18. Aucun Express macrumors regular

Without a doubt, yes.
    iOS 7 is about simplification, not only removal of skeuomorphism. After the release of beta 1, Apple did understand that the two arrows were confusing. But instead of simply removing those, they have changed those to two flat lines (which is totally dumb) and also added an additional arrow near "slide to unlock."
    From my humble perspective, I would have simply removed the arrows. Simple as that. The animation in "slide to unlock" is enough to understand in which sense sliding.
    But as Jony Ive mentioned in the introduction video, this is just the beginning of a new iOS era. I am sure that it will be simplified in the next iterations of iOS. That way, the millions and millions of current users will learn how to get to control and notification centers. Then it won't be a problem to remove those in the future. My two cents (one for each control and notification center :)

Then, I have another example about iOS 7 beta 4 being a small step back. The buttons to accept or deny a calls where just amazing in the previous betas! Totally modern. As Craig Federighi said while showing this screenshot, "your friends never looked more attractive."
    Now, those buttons are not ugly, but it's definitely a big step back.

19. falconeight Guest

falconeight

Depends on what your definition of ish is?

20. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

You know what might be a nice compromise? Go ahead and put a border on there, like you showed, for people who aren't familiar with the iPhone. That'll make it intuitive again. But make it so you don't have to swipe within that border. In other words, retain the current functionality. Best of both worlds.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

I'd actually say they should bring the limited area for an unlock swipe (and the distance that you have to swipe it) back. Right now, with the whole screen allowing you to unlock, and only about 1/3 of a screen needed for that swipe, it's much easier to even accidentally unlock the screen. The whole point of a lock screen is not to make it simple to unlock, certainly not overly complex or time consuming, but at the same time not overly simple. What it used to be--a confined space that required a deliberate movement over majority of the screen--seemed about right.

22. Aucun Express macrumors regular

I think the question is, do we need two straight bars to make us learn that we have a notification and a control centers?
    Nothing tells you that you need to pull down icons to get to Spotlight. Nothing tells you you need to tap an icon longer in order to rearrange it. It's not as if everything needs to be explained.
    I think that those bars serve no purpose at all. I would simply delete those.
    (Also, the control center would look a bit better without its arrow).

Then, the "slide to unlock" text could be as in the three previous betas, without the arrow.

23. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Personally, I think that the changes they've made in these beta are enough to make it intuitive.

With the added arrow and the much more prominent and frequent 'slide to unlock' pulse, plus the way that the on-screen elements bounce (as though being pushed right) when you tap the screen, it now makes it very obvious that you're meant to slide right.

I think adding a box around the text would be counter-productive, since iOS 7 allows you to slide to unlock anywhere on the screen.

----------

I think having the little bars is better than nothing. At the very least, it gives the user a target to interact with. With a little trial and error, the chances are that most people will quickly realise what you're meant to do with them.

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

I can see doing away with the bars/arrows for notification center and control center--after all notification center in iOS 6 and before didn't have arrows to show you to pull it down. As for the little thing single arrow pointer next to slide to unlock text--it's potential usefulness is more valuable than any effect it might of the looks, which isn't really much at all for the vast majority of people.

25. Skika macrumors 68030

Here is an idea.

Why not gradually make them transparent over the time one interacts with them? If someone pulled them over x amounts of time they would start to slowly fade away each time until they would disappear completely. Same with the arrow for unlocking.

Establish the meaning and when the user understands it, get rid of them slowly.

I think its a cool idea.