Does Craigslist Make Anyone Else Uncomfortable?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CRAZYBUBBA, Dec 12, 2008.

1. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

I'm selling my computer and I've got lots on interest on craigslist, but it seems to me that all of these guys are overeager sharks and the prospect of meeting up with them makes me nervous.

Does anyone have advice on making transactions in person or dealing with a sea of eager buyers?

Please see post #22 for current problem

2. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Ive always noticed these "eager buyers" to be scams. But you said they want to meet in person. I guess it would be all good. I really doubt they are going to try to steal your computer from you in person. Just call them and feel them out.

3. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

It did at first, but I have bought and sold a bunch of stuff. People came to my house, meet at theirs, meet in public parking lots. Its all good.

Iam sure there are bad apples out there but you'll find that anywhere.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

ive sold things many times on CL.

when you go look at something, always bring someone and do it in a public place

though i have sold stuff where they came to my house to pick it up lol

5. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

I have sold and bought things threw craigslist, many times. I used to worry about stuff like getting robed. Never had a problem
    Just meet inside a public place. Go to a starbuks or similar place. Order a cup of coffee and wait.
    It's close to Christmas so their are plenty of people looking to buy things right now. That is why you probably have plenty of eager takers.

6. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Public place is probably best. Its not too good of an idea to show strangers where you live. For all you know they will come back and steal your stuff.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well to be fair, i knew the buyer through a friend so not a total stranger

plus it was my old motorcycle and didnt have a ride home otherwise lol

but yea, your point is true. however, id like to think that all people are decent in the end

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I just recently sold an old computer on CL. Met in the parking lot of a Starbucks, he got the computer, I got cash and everything went smoothly. Like others have said, I wouldn't want to let someone come over to my house. Meet in a public place and things should go well.

9. CRAZYBUBBA thread starter macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

Thanks for the reassurance guys. I have three pending sales tomorrow!!! :)

10. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin

Another thumbs up to CL. Like others before have said - meet in a neutral location. At least make sure someone knows where you are going. If you are the buyer and will have lots of cash, take a friend and make sure it's a very public place. :)

I never had any problems, and unless it was something I could not easily transport, I'd NEVER have a stranger come over to my place. Tho, I just got a great deal yesterday - 4 heavy duty dorm dressers in like new condition for $25 each - picked them up from someone's garage. My back's still screaming at me for doing it. LOL.

Oh, I also never post an email or phone number on CL, I ALWAYS use the CL provided email anonymizer. I'm amazed at how many people do this - they're setting themselves up for spam/telemarketing calls. Ha.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I've done a few transactions via CraigsList and met the people in a Starbucks.

All were successful except one. The guy pulled a gun on me and made me walk out to the parking lot. He then made me open up the trunk to my car and climb in. Of course he took my wallet. He said if I made any noise, he had my address and he'd know where to find me. I stayed in the trunk for 5 hours until I felt it was safe to scream and get help.

OK, I made the whole thing up.

12. timerollson macrumors 65816

No. I sell my stuff on Craig's List. I actually prefer it to eBay.

13. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I think dealing on Cl is one of the least uncomfortable things I've ever done. A hobby of mine, really.

I always have people come over to my house, even when buying, because I can't drive yet. No problems except for when some a***** whined about the cost of gas.

14. esco macrumors 6502

esco

During my first Craigslist transaction, I met the guy in the parking lot of Best Buy and had a great transaction. We still talk to this day actually, and it happened 2 years ago

15. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...Craigslist is great for doing local buy/sell stuff and I've done countless transactions that way. The vast majority of the scams are with shipping things and not dealing "face to face." As long as you take the precautions other have noted already and just use a little common sense you should do just fine....oh yeah!

16. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

My advice: Bring some friends.

I have had some experience with craigslist and let me tell you there are some shaaaady people on there.

A few years ago I bought a "brand new xbox 360" with a few games and controllers and etc. on craigslist for $150. Well it sounded too good to be true so first I emailed the guy and talked to him about it. He made up a story about how he was out of work due to an injury and had to get rid of it even though he just got it. So, I figured what the hell... i'll buy it.

I'm not exactly a little dude, and I have a few really big friends. So i took my friend Jamie (6'7" 320lbs) and another friend who just likes to fight lol... and we went to pick up the xbox. We get there, and the guy had a buddy with him, met me in a parking lot, and then started trying to raise the price on me.

I think him and his buddy were honestly going to try to steal my money if I went alone. Anyway, he tried to raise the price and I told him we had an agreement and he needed to keep that agreement. We went back and forth before Jamie and Andy got involved.... long story short, nobody got into a fight but after a few "strong words" the xbox was mine for $150 bucks. It was like pulling teeth though, and the guys were really ghetto.

Like I said, take some friends with you whenever you are meeting people you don't know. For selling or buying, doesn't matter.

17. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

i just bought a 10 in tom for my drum set and the guy was pretty mellow.
    it matched the color of my set which i was not expecting,
    he even has a 14 in floor tom which i was looking for, in the same color but he is not going to sell it right now, soon :confused::D

ha i don't even have the money to buy the floor tom so its all good.
    i did count my pennies and have close to 50.:D

18. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

I usually have had pretty good luck selling/buying high priced items. However, I did fall for a scam a few months ago.

Guy showed up with his son and a MBP that I had agreed to buy for $1,500. I paid him the cash and left with it. Get a call 2 days later from the local police department, said the guy stole it, and I have to give it back to them, and try to get the money back from him.

I get about $1,100 back from the guy (he bought a bunch of stuff from Apple with the money, he gave me the stuff with receipt, and I returned it), and still haven't seen the other $400, as he said he doesn't have any money to pay it back and hasn't returned any phone calls, emails, etc.

19. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

i have used craigslist all the time for selling and buying

a good tip is to go in a populated area (not massively populated, but enough so that people will know something is happening if something goes wrong) and bring a buddy or two with you to do some FBI acting lol

but craigslist is not a bad place anyways. its much better than eBay IMO cuz you dont have to pay for shipping and the transactions are local

20. faust macrumors regular

faust

Some woman tried scamming me. "Can you just accept Paypal and send it overseas to my son in Iraq?". Even if it weren't a scam, I wouldn't have touched that deal.

21. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

just meet in a very very public place. food court in a mall, i dono

22. CRAZYBUBBA thread starter macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

Okay, so I did the deal this morning, got the money, paid my credit card and now the guy is having second thoughts, he says that the computer doesn't turn on (even though it passed the apple hardware test when he tested it this morning).

Why do I always get stuck with these kind of buyers? Do I have to answer his phone calls? I'm thinking of just ignoring him.

23. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin

Those people are no fun, I know. If you feel your machine was in good working condition when you sold it to him, you are really under no obligation to respond to him.

Then again, if I was the buyer and I had a legit concern, I'd be upset that the seller wasn't responding to me. I guess thats the danger of Craigslist. No established method for resolving these types of concerns.

Just follow your gut feeling and do what is right. Good luck.

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

if you sold it as is, its as is. so tough luck to him.

you arent running a warranty service

25. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

unless you said yadda program or something works and now it doesn't