Does eveyone else's watch have this?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Phisherman81, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Phisherman81 macrumors 6502

Phisherman81

It may be hard to see, but I can't get a more focused picture with my phone.

At the top where the glass meets the aluminum, there is a perfectly centered "gap" for lack of better explanation along the seam. It looks intentional, like it could be where a brightness sensor could read the ambient light.

But the other 3 sides of the glass appear to be tighter to the aluminium than the top.

You may need to open the pic in another tab and zoom in - I tried to put arrows where it starts and ends.

It is the middle third of the top seam of the glass/aluminum.

Any input is appreciated. I wanted to check with others before I set up a genius appointment with my local store. It functions as expected, but I'm afraid condensation may get in there.

Attached Files:

2. c1phers macrumors regular

3. Andylar macrumors regular

4. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

Seems like it shouldn't be like that

The ambient light sensor is beneath the display so it wouldn't be for that.

5. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

FWIW I can't seem to find a similar "gap" on my stainless steel body.

6. linhromrom macrumors member

can't tell for sure by looking at the pic, though from what i can see. It looks like its been lift open by the tool from IFIXIT team and re-attach lolz. Thats where they open the face of the watch

7. Nufc_joe macrumors member

not on mine either

8. Phisherman81 thread starter macrumors 6502

Phisherman81

Thanks everyone for checking.

Sounds like I'm going to make an appointment to get it checked out. At least it's working in the mean time ;)

9. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

No, definitely don't have that gap on my Stainless, either. You did a great job photographing and pointing out the problem, by the way. Good luck with your appointment.

10. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

11. insane08 macrumors member

I actually noticed this the other day. I have gaps along 3 sides of the device which I realized at night as the light escaped out. I also bought applecare so I should be able to get this resolved after a few months easily correct ? I don't want to have to wait around for them to send another order while people are still waiting on preorders.

12. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I might be mistaken but I don't think the watch has a light sensor. The adjustment is manual only.
    If it does have one (seems I have read maybe that it does) I don't see an option to allow auto adjustment of the light level.

13. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

Attached Files:

14. spampy22 macrumors member

15. Phisherman81 thread starter macrumors 6502

Phisherman81

If I were you I'd get an appointment setup asap. Apple Support online is currently a spinning wheel of death at the moment.

16. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I did see that in their tear down but do not see a place in settings that makes use of it. I have also seen reports of sensors for blood oxygen levels next to the heart rate sensors and still not being used. If I go outside in the sun my brightness remains the same.

Can't argue it's not there when it clearly is but from what I know, its not in use or does not appear to be at the moment.

----------

My apologies to the OP, your topic was a gap by the screen. I took your thread off course. I do not myself have a gap but to be honest my eyes are getting older and I can't tell that I have a gap may be the better reply.

17. Phisherman81 thread starter macrumors 6502

Phisherman81

Oh man, no worries at all! I'm a pretty liberal macrumors member ;)

So I have an appointment set up for Wednesday night - we shall see what they say. They set the appointment up as soon as they heard the description, so they sound on it.

18. Phisherman81 thread starter macrumors 6502

Phisherman81

So some quick follow up:

My appointment went great. Genius was awesome and the watch has to go out for repair because they didn't have a replacement in store. Not a big surprise; I'm glad it will get fixed free of charge and I wasn't nuts. 3-5 days and I can pick it up.

One funny thing - they have you take the band home with you, which I didn't think of but makes sense I guess so it's not lost in transit. But it was kinda funny to leave with just the band.

19. H4mmo macrumors newbie

I noticed this when i first opened mine but just thought it was meant to be there because it looks symmetrical. What did apple say? Is it something i should be worried about?

20. Phisherman81 thread starter macrumors 6502

Phisherman81

The genius looked at it with their version of a lit otoscope, basically what you would look in someone's ear with. He said he could actually see in there with it, and it looked like the adhesive just wasn't applied there. But it is clear that the glass doesn't "sit" on the aluminium at the top compared to the other sides.

They concluded it was flawed manufacturing.

I said I noticed it during the next day of getting it, because I came home late and only saw the watch during the night on the 24th.

They did not have a replacement in store, so it needed to be sent offsite for repair.

The one cool thing, is they said since the watch is so new, the issue would be "captured" and might be reviewed by design team that works with manufacturing. They may contact me to discuss it. I agreed to do it and I'm assuming since I haven't signed anything saying I can't talk about it, that it's ok to mention it at this time. Maybe that will change if/when they actually do contact me.

But anywho, I'd say you saw it right away and you're worried water or dust will get in there and fry the whole thing. They agreed that was a legitimate concern.

Get it checked out ASAP.

21. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

No gaps here!

I did get worried for a minute that I had one though. The light reflected off the glass and it looked like there was a gap, but I'm pretty sure I don't have one

22. H3rman macrumors 6502

To me the pic looks like there is a seal around the screen and that gap has the seal missing opposed to it being lifted up.

23. Phisherman81 thread starter macrumors 6502

Phisherman81

I agree that is how it looks, but the thing is there is not supposed to be a visible seal around the glass on a properly manufactured apple watch like there is for instance, on an iPhone 6/6+. So seeing the seal is actually the indicator that the glass is lifted up.

24. H4mmo macrumors newbie

Thanks. I made an appointment for in the week so I'll see what they say.

25. Omen87 macrumors regular

Omen87

I feel like I can see the same thing on mine. What do you guys think?

Attached Files: