Does Exchange email sync read messages with the server?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Knolly, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Knolly macrumors 6502a

What I mean is, if you read a message on your computer, will your iPhone sync that as read?

I currently have GMail forwarding to MobileMe, but one of my biggest irritations is that if I read messages on my computer, I have to open Mail and allow it to refresh in order for the messages to go away (and the annoyance is multiplied since I use LockInfo). If I set up exchange with GMail, does this problem still occur? If yes, has anyone figured out a workaround to this?

Many thanks to anyone that can help.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes. Since Exchange is push, it means read messages are marked as read in your iPhone and vice versa if you read on your iPhone.

The other 2 questions I don't know.

3. Knolly thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry if this comes across as rude, but do you know this from experience? After all, MobileMe is "push" and "Exchange for the rest of us," but it has this problem.

4. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

MobileMe syncs read after about 15 minutes, I don't know if its different with Exchange, but it will eventually sync

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I have MobileMe(personal) and Exchange(work), and trust me, that's how it works. No you were not rude.:p

6. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Push has nothing to do with marking messages as read with Exchange. Exchange is a two way protocol similar to IMAP (although much more powerful) in that any changes made to the client side are made on the server (moving to folder, marking as read, setting a flag, deleting a message).

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

May not. It depends on the service you have. Mine does this. If I read it where ever, the read status is sent all over my devices. That works for MobileMe and Exchange.

8. Knolly thread starter macrumors 6502a

Never has for me. It will only mark messages as "read" if I get a new message. This is how it's been for me on three different iPhones...

The fact that it works for MobileMe for you worries me that Exchange might not work... But I'm going for it and setting up Exchange, so we'll see what happens. Many thanks for your help!

9. hsk macrumors regular

I have Exchange set to push and if I receive an email on both and I read it on my PC, it will also mark it as read on my iPhone, but you have to wake it up for that to happen - or an additional email has to arrive.

10. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Yes, you can set it up as exchange or an IMAP account and it makes the changes server side. The only difference is that the exchange is pushed as soon as changes are made and IMAP changes on it's next sync cycle. It should also be doing this on your mobileme as well.

11. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

This is incorrect. The badge disappears if you read the email else where.

12. Knolly thread starter macrumors 6502a

IT WORKS.

One of the largest frustrations I've had with the iPhone hath disappeared.

Many thanks to everyone!

13. hsk macrumors regular

True - I was incorrect. It was the GMail IMAP account that did not correct itself automatically. Exchange works as it should.

14. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Actually you are wrong again. A gmail account set up as IMAP will also remove the badge when the email is read else where, it just takes a little longer.

15. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Again, it has nothing to do with "push". It is inherent to the Exchange protocol. All changes made on the client are sent to the server. IMAP does the same thing but the protocol is very different. Both will reflect read/flag states on all clients when a client sends an update.

16. hsk macrumors regular

Since you were so kind, thought I would come back to this after an observation. I was partically correct - at least for my situation. It will clear the mail badge if I read it on my PC within a few minutes IF I am on wifi. But on 3G only, it does not work so fast. I just looked and two emails I recieved 2 hours ago had yet to clear the home screen badge until I opened the email app.