Does it make sense to have a "Retina MacBook Pro" sub forum?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by smithrh, Jun 11, 2012.

1. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

It does appear to be fairly distinct from the current MBPs...

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

What is the advantage of separating them? What is the disadvantage of keeping them together?

I'm having a hard time thinking either way is better.

3. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Personally, unless it gets to the point where the two are vastly different, I don't see a reason to separate them. At this point, they are both still technically a "MacBook Pro".

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Well when the older MBPs eventually go they will all be retina, so yeah.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I see no reason for a new sub forum here. The display is just another option on the same laptop. We didn't make a sub forum for the anti-glare display, so why make one for the Retina?

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Why not have a separate forum for us 17" MBP owners too...? :D

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Right after we split the "Mac Pro Minor Bump in June 2012" forum off from the main "Mac Pro" forum!

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

:D fantastic!

9. tarponbeach macrumors member

Can we please have a Retina Only Forum?

Moderators, As much as I am interested in Apple's efforts to move the MacBook line into new territory, I currently have no interest in upgrading to a Retina Macbook. Would it make sense for those of us in a similar position to have a dedicated forum for the Retina Macbook?

10. Geo411m macrumors regular

I agree. The forum is already separated by Macbook, Macbook Pro, and Macbook Air. Might as well add a Macbook Pro Retina.

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

KInda unnecessary and clutter making IMHO. There aren't separate forums, for example for the Retina based iPad or iPhones. The iMacs have certainly changed form factors and upgradability over the years, but there aren't different forums for each of those either. I think as long as people refer to RMBP or MBPR and MBP, respectively in the title there is no confusion.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, I don't see a need for it either.

13. G5isAlive macrumors 6502

I don't see the situation as similar, this is a more than another option. The retina technology has consequences on software developers to upgrade their applications. No one, for example, came out with 'new and improved drawing program for the anti-glare display'. Also the RMBP has other differences, lack of DVD drive, no spinning platter HD, such that it is distinctly different and would benefit from a separate forum. Already I read posts that confuse the various pro models so its hard to read what is being discussed.

I can see it already, someone comes here to discuss software revisions for the retina display and the regular macbook pros jump on with 'so what' or a repeat of 'the retina display is a waste of money'

Subgroup time.

14. Arelunde, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012

Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

MBP non-retina forum possible?

Hi all...

Now that the Retina and upgraded MBPs are out, all discussions on the MBP forum seem related to the new models. Is there a chance you could establish separate forums for the new and "old" MBPs? I see there is a separate thread on creating a sub-forum for Retina, but I think a totally separate one would be better. There are significant differences between the past and present iterations. Those of us who have the "old" ones aren't really interested in all the topics connected with the Retina generation... and visa versa.

Prior to June 11, there was enough discussion to keep the "old" MBP forums active and now, us 2011 and earlier owners are buried by the (predictable) landslide of discussions about the 2 newer versions.

There are still a whole lot of us out here who didn't buy the latest and greatest, but still have questions and a valid community.

PLEASE???

15. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

What makes this different from having a "Retina Only" forum? Seems to me, that if anything, we should have a new thread prefix for "[Retina MBP]" and "[Retina Resolved]". Especially since they are both technically the same product line. Just like 3G iPads are the same product line as Wifi Only iPads.

16. Braniff747SP macrumors 6502

Braniff747SP

Retina-only forum is the answer. I've got a new-old body machine, and I don't care for a zabillion Retina MBP threads... It would be nice to separate them.

17. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

This is definitely the simplest idea, if members are willing to take the time to tag their Retina threads with [Retina]. It would at least give a visual indication of which threads are about which machine, for those who are only interested in discussions about one or the other.

Thoughts?

18. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Without having an opinion on the sub-forum issue, I wanted to point out it's not an option, it's a completely different model.

19. belvdr macrumors 603

While it is a separate selection on Apple's website, it's not a different model; it's still a MacBook Pro.

20. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I disagree; it's a different model under the MacBook Pro line of laptops. The MacBook Air is a completely different model.

I don't believe the Retina display alone is enough to make the line an exclusive one separate from the standard line of MBP's.

Having the prefix that Comeagain? suggested isn't too bad of an idea to help delineate the differences in threads.

21. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Especially if you make it required to have a prefix before creating the thread. Then everyone would have it from now on.

22. SR71, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012

SR71 macrumors 68000

Request: Subsection for the rMBP

I don't know if I'm the only one that thinks this, but I feel that it would create less clutter and confusion in this section if a subsection was created in the MacBook Pro section of the forum for topics that relate specifically to the rMBP, while the standard MBP section relating to all non-retina models.

In my opinion, as it stands, the MBP section of the forum is cluttered with threads relating to the retina and non-retina MBP, this can sometimes confuse me and could possibly confuse new users as well.

Do you think having a subsection dedicated to the rMBP is a good or bad idea? Not trying to start an argument or anything, I just wanted other forumgoers input.

Edit: Didn't know about this thread, thanks to the mod that moved mine. Sorry for the unnecessary thread.

23. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I agree, especially as apple may create a 13" retina mbp in the near future, and the fact that there are so many differences between the rmbp and cmbp models.

24. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Right now I can certainly see the value of that, but in 2 months when all the buzz and died down quite a bit, would it still be worthwhile? If not, I'm not sure it is worth the trouble.

25. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

What you write makes sense, but I see one downside: members who are interested in threads about both general MBP issues and specific rMBP issues would have to look in two forums. I suspect we'd end up moving a lot of general issues from the r-forum over to the other, and that some threads and posts would straddle the line and make it hard to know where they really belong.

In that respect, prefixes would be the best solution, because everything would be in one forum but visually identifiable. If, as Comeagain? suggests, prefixes were required, we would need something like rMBP and MBP (with MBP denoting issues that are common to both).

That's something to consider. On the one hand, if we wait and decide we needed some sort of separation, we'll have to move or tag a lot of threads at some point. On the other hand, if we make a distinction right away, we may find later on that we cluttered things up a bit unnecessarily.

I don't have an opinion at this point, just thinking out loud.