Does it normally take this long...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Apple-NoEscape, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

To jailbreak I mean.
    I'm just curious as I haven't really ever followed the jailbreaking side of things. But if I do decide to get the iPhone 4 I'm thinking it would be nice to finally jailbreak an iPhone.
    So with that said my original question stands, with each update 2.0 to 3.0 etc does it normally take this long for someone to crack it?

I don't truly believe Apple will make it uncrackable, but they can make it damn well hard to do so.

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

It takes as long as it takes. Try taking a look at the source code for Spirit to get an idea of how much work goes into it.

3. Apple-NoEscape thread starter macrumors 6502

I understand how hard it must be, hell I wouldn't even know where to begin. I don't want to come across as impatient or something, just generally curious.
    Will it ever get to a point where it takes so long for a jailbreak the it next 'X'.0 os is released before the jailbreak for the current one.

Apple has to be getting better at spotting these security holes, however that being said I supose I can just look at my windows machine to see how that may never be possible.

4. nfl46 macrumors 604

No need to get a smart attitude with the OP. All he asked was a simple question, that didn't require a smart ass comment.:rolleyes:

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

He wasn't being a smart ass, he's just probably tired of hearing all these people asking about this same subject over and over.

6. ACardAttack macrumors 6502

ACardAttack

Then all he has to do is not open the thread

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You are impatient.
    There's like a dozen threads like yours every day.
    Why is it taking so long, can I JB my iphone, when it the JB and unlock going to be ready finally.......
    Just wait like everyone else.
    Noone know how long it will take and why. Each OS, iphone device, baseband, JB and unlock is different and there's tons of coding and research that needs to be done for you to just plug in your iphone and click a button and have it jailbroken.

8. Apple-NoEscape thread starter macrumors 6502

How am I impatient when I don't even have the iPhone 4 to jailbreak :rolleyes:

As I say I'm just curious as to how long it normally takes. I love the idea of people foding security holes and Apple fighting to fix them. I was just wondering whether it is getting harder and harder to do.

9. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

The obvious answer to this question is yes.

Whether it's because it becomes harder to jb, Apple starts spitting out new versions faster or a combination, yes, a new version of the OS could come out before the last one has been jailbroken.

I've wondered how many people Apple devotes to doing this because what business benefit is in it for them. If they can close a hole as part of doing other development, they probably do, but why would they expend development dollars for this? Will they claim they are closing holes for PR reasons? Yes. Will they actually devote resources? Who knows.

10. headcheese macrumors regular

Everyone should get off the OP's nuts

He seems to be a n00b as far as jailbreaking is concerned, and is just asking some basic questions regarding time lines of the process.

If you want people to b1tch at go to the "dozen threads" with the people who are self entitled whiney brats who think they are OWED a jailbreak NOW. This kid doesn't even have an ip4 :rolleyes:

11. Vinnie Madrox macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

from Wiki :cool:

12. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I'm not sure what other answer I could have offered than "it takes as long as it takes." It's the kind of answer I would give anyone asking hypotheticals about unknowables. The fact is that nobody can know when or if any firmware version will be jailbroken. It is not being a "smart-ass" to point out this fact. All you n00bs need to calm down and stop being so defensive.

13. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

wow I didn't realize the first JB was introduced so soon after the first iphone was released. There wasnt even an App store yet

14. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Yes, It Takes A Long Time, Always..... This Is Actually Very Short It Could Take Months To Never.

So When One Is Finally Out Dont Upgrade Your Phones......

And Just Wait Quietly... Unless You Are Paying These People Big Money Not A $5 Donation But Lets Say $100,000.00 Year Then just wait :).

15. ManOfTheHour macrumors member

The OP didn't ask how long THIS one would take. He asked how long it generally takes, in the past - nothing hypothetical about it. You probably just read the Title and started flaming without reading the whole post.

16. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Seems to be a day for angry and ill mannered newbies.:(

17. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

It would be a waste of time frankly. Jailbreaking iPhones will always be possible. iOS is a huge complicated operating system. Finding and eliminating all bugs and exploits in the system is impossible. That's why exploits for jailbreaks are found very quickly (but take time to code for public release).

On the other hand the OS on the baseband is small and contains few commands. This is why it usually takes a long time to find an exploit for an unlock. Apple can make it very difficult for future unlocks, and why we don't have a bootneuter on iPhones after the 2G.

18. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

This is completely OT, but I absolutely HAVE to ask you this. And this is something I've noticed happening a lot in the last couple of years on various forums...

When you're typing out a post...Why Do You Capitalize Every Word In Every Sentence And Not Just Capitalize The First Word Of Every Sentence???

I'm seriously not asking this to be a dick. I truly want to find an answer to this question. I mean, I just don't get how someone comes to type like that.

Someone? Anyone? Any ideas?

19. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Back then it was a definitely more of a process. Not to mention I believe you could actually "brick" your phone (though Apple released an update a few versions later that could unbrick phones).

I think the first version I did it on was 1.1.2 or 1.1.3 using jailbreakme, and it was definitely more difficult than my 3G I jailbroke with blackra1n.

20. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

I wrote the whole thing in capitals, to show a bit of frustration with the issue, however when I posted it MacRumors had not allowed it to be all caps and changed it to just the first letter being caps. I didnt want to go back and fix it :)

and it does take a long time to never. We never know when apple will fill all holes and no JB will be pos.

By OT I think you mean over the top? I didnt think I was being to much OT. Sorry if I offeneded :)

21. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Off-topic. If macrumors doesn't allow you to enter things in all caps that should probably be a good indication not to try, even just to "make a point"... Though I have noticed that as well and it's good to know why now...

22. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Yes, I have never typed while frustrated before. So I didnt know that, now I do :p:rolleyes:;)

23. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Yes, off-topic indeed. :D

Thanks chakraj. I seriously was just wondering and since you'd posted like that, I figured you'd be a good one to ask...lol.

Ok, threadjack over. Back to the topic at hand. :apple:

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

We seem to be getting tons of them lately:)

25. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

It's summer and they aren't in school is my guess for the reason.:D