Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple-NoEscape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
United Kingdom
The obvious answer to this question is yes.

Whether it's because it becomes harder to jb, Apple starts spitting out new versions faster or a combination, yes, a new version of the OS could come out before the last one has been jailbroken.

I've wondered how many people Apple devotes to doing this because what business benefit is in it for them. If they can close a hole as part of doing other development, they probably do, but why would they expend development dollars for this? Will they claim they are closing holes for PR reasons? Yes. Will they actually devote resources? Who knows.

I've figured Steve is the kind of person to hire people just to try and fix these security holes if his perfectionist status is to be believed. Then again it would be a waste of time plus money and Steve would have to admit there are problems with his product to attempt to fix it :p

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I've figured Steve is the kind of person to hire people just to try and fix these security holes if his perfectionist status is to be believed. Then again it would be a waste of time plus money and Steve would have to admit there are problems with his product to attempt to fix it :p

As long as there is code, there will be exploits.
Apple has a dismal record of finding exploits before the jailbreak community shows them to him.

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
It can be done though... Look at the PS3 which has lasted for this long without a single effective attack on it. I'm just hoping Apple's devices don't end up that locked down.

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004

It's not really an issue about perfection (though it could be). It's more along the lines of preserving the App Store. We all know there is an easy method of pirating apps out there. The repercussions analogous to pirating music... Developers losing out on money, Apple losing out on money... It's not easy to make apps. It's not easy running a huge App store. Someone's gotta foot the server bill.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.