Does it really feel like a 1. gen product?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MartinPerssonDK, Nov 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MartinPerssonDK macrumors newbie

Hi

I'm considering buying an Apple Watch, but after reading different posts, I'm unsure if the Apple Watch feels like a 1. gen product in terms of being slow and not very well-thought in everyday use (read that some had problems connecting their iPhone to their bluetooth/hands-free car kits, when the phone was already connected to the Apple Watch)?

I like the design, I wear a watch daily and some features of the Apple Watch would be nice to have (mainly fitness tracking and notifications). The price doesn't decide whether to get it or not, but honestly I wouldn't pay that much for a watch, if I have to change daily routines and make work-arounds just to adapt to the device.

What is your opinion - Does the watch feel like a 1. gen product in daily usage?

2. artfossil macrumors 6502

artfossil

3. Polaroid macrumors 6502a

Yes. I don't even use apps as they take so long to load, even native apps.

Quicker to pull out iPhone.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You're asking if a gen 1 product feels like a gen 1 product?

5. sheldomacrumors macrumors member

I would say it is a very good first gen product, go for it!!

6. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

All Smart Watch feel like gen 1 product, there is no refine gen 2 smart watch available now.
    This is based on both HW, SW, apps available, & user experience.
    So either get the best smart watch available right now, hence AW, or stay with dumb watch and wait for AW become smarter.

7. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

I'd say it's more like a 0.1b product, it's so unfinished and slow.
    No Apps of worth, battery life is poor and a lot of the time it doesn't do what it should.

8. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

So which smart watch is better?

9. Cowboy1629 macrumors regular

Cowboy1629

You will always find haters that love to hate. Yes it is a first generation, yes it will get better with future generations just like every other Apple product created. It's pretty obvious it's a good product the way it is right now based on the numbers of Watches Apple has sold.

10. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Better is subjective,,,, the AW is just poor and most definitely not worth the asking price.
    As above, slow, no apps and no real use case.

If you want a workout watch, lots of better options.

11. friedmud macrumors 65816

@OP: Don't focus on the negative posts here. A forum like this will always receive a disproportionate amount of whiners. All the people who are happy with their Watch are out _using it_ instead of hanging around here ;-)

I got mine at launch. It's been on my wrist every day since then. It's completely engrained in my life at this point. I'm so used to receiving messages/updates on the Watch that I don't even think about it anymore... it's just second nature.

Like another poster said: get one for yourself and see if you like it. If you're an "on the go" person like I am... I think you'll find it useful.

12. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I agree with this approach. I think Apple's done a good job with the Watch but it is indeed a polarizing product.

I bought the large SS model, a gadget that is sure to please some and provide them with hours of entertainment. What it did for me is to reinforce just how much I prefer my analog chronographs like one of my Breitlings or Zenith watches.

For Fitness I've been using Suunto for some time. Currently my AMBIT 3 model is proving extremely accurate with precision sensors that collect data very consistently without variation. I like it's great durability, for rock climbing, running, kayaking, cycling over the road, it's proven very weather resistant also. Holds up well when it gets banged against things and I really like the web site they have as a big part of supporting athletes via facilitating planning on the site for ones running and cycling work outs. Their maps are accurate and very detailed. Overall it's the best out of several athletic tracking watches I've owned.

After a full and fair evaluation of AW, I took advantage of the return period, and got rid of it as it simply didn't appeal to me.

13. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

I totally agree with artfossil. Personally I found that it has exceeded my expectations (which were set a bit low by early negative reviews). Yes there is room for improvement in future versions, but it am glad I didn't wait. The AW looks great and provides little conveniences throughout my day. Notifications are silent, my iphone stays in my bag or pocket more, and I don't need my Fitbit anymore. I find frustrations are far and few between. Most of the time it just works. Your mileage may vary depending on how you want to use it, but there is no risk in trying it for a couple of weeks. It really is one of those devices that you have to try for at least a week or two to really understand.

Sean

14. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Like someone else said you need to go to an Apple store and try one on. Play with the demo model they have on the wall.

You can't draw a conclusion based on posts here because people who are happy with their Apple watches (like myself) will not come here to post about it. It's mostly people who are unhappy with their watches or are complaining about some defect.

15. Vader2 macrumors member

I like mine a lot. I have hd mine for a mo th or so and never considered returning it. I do think that I may have felt differently if I had been subjected to watch os1 during my trial period. Fortunately OS2 was released the week I bought mine.

16. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I've had mine since April (pre order) and although I've had 2 Apple watches replaced due to defect I still like it and don't go a day without wearing it.

17. rob.james.arias macrumors regular

rob.james.arias

I have been wearing an apple watch for about 6 months now. I wear it daily, only taking it off to charge. That said it is really a gen 1 product. Even if it were more refined, at the end of the day it is a fancy digital watch. If I were to forget it at home it would not affect my day in any way the same as if I left a regular watch at home. By that metric it is an excellent watch, with perks. Do you need it? No. Do you want it? Probably. You certainly could live without it though.

18. davideotape macrumors 6502

most apps make it feel first gen. the load times make them unusable, if they even load at all. email, notifications, faces, complications are all great and the watch itself is fun to wear. the coolest apps are pretty much useless though

19. starbright01, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015

starbright01 macrumors member

starbright01

I love my Apple Watch. But I don't really use it for working out so I have the step counter and heart rate monitor off so my watch lasts about a day and a half

With the latest update apps are supposed to be faster. Try opening them and the first time it will load slow but try waiting opening a few and going back and opening them again I'm sure you'll notice the faster loading.

If you really want Apple Watch compatibly on certain apps on your phone that don't have it don't forget to mention it in app reviews, you'll get what you want eventually. Lol

I have the sports watch, and I even shower with it!

People have done extensive water tests on the sports watch and its supposed to be water resistant, It did amazing with handling water. I love how I can answer calls and texts in the shower

20. jonstatt1 macrumors regular

On Android, Smartwatches have been through four iterations already (Samsung). So this is not a new concept. To be honest, I enjoyed and used every watch I have had, and I did have the first smartwatches that existed. The main issue is that people have a wrong expectation of what a smart watch does, and this is where the problems start. Because they feel it doesn't deliver because its a first generation Apple watch product, they will still be sorely disappointed with the second. The main thing is to understand what it does, what it doesn't do. Then you will be happy or simply decide not to buy it.

The main purpose of the watch since the first Android generation, is notifications. Being able to see who is contacting you, whether by a call, by text, by email etc and seeing at least a part of that content on your watch. In this way you can decide whether to get your phone out of the pocket or not. Obviously there are apps, phone calls, Siri, app notifications, health uses etc etc....but it started primarily as a notification device.

One feature that has fallen firmly out of fashion but was on the first Samsung watch is a camera. On the Samsung the camera was built-in to the strap on the side, and the microphone was in the strap clasp. Very expensive and very clever, but of course meant no swappable straps. Since the 3rd generation of smartwatch on Android, cameras have disappeared.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Your concerns are well founded, but as noted by others, you'll not get a complete picture asking here. You need to see first hand if the watch is a good fit for you.

I can say the build quality feels top notch, very Apple like. The screen is gorgeous as is the design. I'd say with WatchOS 1, it has some rough spots and lack of functionality that did make it feel like a Gen 1 product. By and large WatchOS 2 removed those. With that said, there's other functionality I'd like to see in the OS and I'm sure a Gen 2 watch itself will have some different options as well.

22. Newtons Apple, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015

Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

My main complaints is the HR sensor and lack of developers writing apps. Was disappointed in the fitness aspect hyped by Apple . . . . I guess I expected too much.

Many will love the Apple Watch while others will not.

I ended up having to take out my phone most of the time anyway so I found the Apple Watch to have limited usefulness to me and discontinued it use.

23. jonstatt1 macrumors regular

Indeed, mainly because there was meant to be blood pressure and stress monitors as well as the HR sensor. They supposedly did away with them because they were not reliable enough on people with hairy arms :) It is a shame because it would have been something new compared to any other smartwatch. I say new, but Casio had blood pressure monitoring watches back in the 90s but they were approximations in conjunction with a real BP machine that was bundled with it, and a finger sensor.

24. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Exactly. You can't have someone else test-drive the car for you.

25. shox2k2 macrumors 6502

It feels like a good product. What would you use it for? I just got mine and I think its great. I'd like there to be a lte type model but other than using it on runs I don't think I'll notice it very much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.