Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
If I enable iTunes match can my AppleTV3 use it for streaming without iTunes running anywhere?

Yes. With iTunes match enabled on your Apple TV you can access your entire matched library directly from the Apple TV. You don't need a connected computer with iTunes open.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Hmm, think I'll give it another go. I had it when it first came out but it's matching algorithm was pretty poor. Also sent my ISB bandwidth through the roof.

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
Hmm, think I'll give it another go. I had it when it first came out but it's matching algorithm was pretty poor. Also sent my ISB bandwidth through the roof.

If you're concerned about bandwith, then you should know that when iTunes match streams music to your Apple TV it's doing so over the internet, so if you're bandwith capped then you may take quite a hit if you listen to a lot of music.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Just curious where your music came from.

iTunes Match only matches if your music is on the iTunes Store. Many classic CDs have been re-released over time, and your version may not be on the iTunes Store. Typical problem with Beatles, Genesis, etc. Many CDs come in different versions in the USA and Europe; typical result is a CD where everything except a single song is matched.

All in all, 85% of my music was matched. And that included songs that I manually imported from LPs. And what wasn't matched got uploaded, so there's not really a problem. You just don't get the upgrade to 256KBit AAC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.