does leopard stand up strong next to vista?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by denz455, Jan 10, 2008.

1. denz455 macrumors member

denz455

This will be interesting to see some thoughts from you guys on the new leading pc programs going head-t0-head.

I recently purchased a Macbook, but i know before i made the purchase i spent weeks deciding and realising that my choices seemed endless.
    I found that although apple pc's were several 100 dollars more than the microsoft pcs, however i found that people have said the added security and easy use of the mac is well worth the money.
    I also weighed up the changes from both programs, which resulted in my viewing of Apple Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard which touts more than 300 new features. Microsoft didn't advertise as many changes to Windows Vista, which also introduced new eye candy and under-the-hood changes.

Let me know your thoughts and PLEASE try hard to reassure me that i made the right decision :D

REPRESENT APPLE! :apple:

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

How about Leopard can run Vista and XP through Parallel's coherence.

IF it was a Venn diagram, Vista would be small circle, next to a larger one for XP, with the big Apple circle swallowing both up.

3. bking1000 macrumors 6502a

OK -- you made the right decision (was that reassuring enough??)

If you JUST started with Mac OSX, then I'd say two things:

1. Keep an open mind and be willing to learn new things. OSX is not (and should not) run just like windows. So, you need to learn a few new things. There are TONS of forum and blog helps on the internet. Do yourself a favor and go to MacLife, MacWorld or just google "Mac keyboard shortcuts" or something like that. There are many sites that have a list of the TONS of keyboard shortcuts OSX has built in. Print those out, and keep it handy as a reference card. Once you learn the shortcuts, your enjoyment of OSX will explode (and you'll be ruined for Windows forever!).

2. Give it time. My prediction, if you do #1 above - in one to two months time you'll be haunting forums, telling newbies how they'll love OSX (btw -- I switched in August)

4. TooFastForLove macrumors member

TooFastForLove

You won't get a Blue Screen of Death when you plug in your printer. That seems like an alright reason to me :)

5. denz455 thread starter macrumors member

denz455

haha thats a good way to put it.
    Yeah i figured that apple did seem the superior of the two. Its just surprising that microsoft didnt put up much of a fight, surely they knew that apple were going to bring out the new system so why only take a half as*ed attempt at it?
    Really, i think its microsofts own fault that they are behind the eight ball.
    Apple take time to introduce their products i think as they are looking out for the consumer and their needs. It is because of this reputation that they are so popular and successful, yet microsoft can be seen as introducing little evolutions at a time...making it obvious that they are primarily in it for the money.
    For instance, look at the IPhone. Apple do not fiddle around with little expansions, they simply design a product that is above all its competitors with all add-on's involved and put it to the market and gain the rewards they deserve.

thats really helpful, il get back to you in a month or two with a PM and let know who im teaching to use apples ;)

6. Keebler macrumors 68030

leopard doesn't stand beside vista.

vista severely lacks behind leopard! :)
    i mean, it's still got that windows look and feel, despite a blatant copying attempt of the OS by MS.

as the others said, check out some sites, learn some shortcuts, buy a book on using mac os. it is far superior, if anything, simply b/c it's based on Unix which allows for easier programming imho.

7. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

You made the right choice all the way. I remember when I made the switch in 03 then got finally got enough money to get my own Mac in 04. Listen to what was said before, DON'T expect the Mac to work like Windows.... EVER! There may be some things that you found easy in Windows that Mac OS X doesn't do and should do.... don't worry, there will be some, but don't let that get you down.

Just to help you out.... let me tell you how it might wind up for you in about five years.

1. Wow this is Apple has become, what have I been doing with Windows
    2. Finally got my OWN Mac, this is great.
    3. Hey my friends, come check out my Mac that's much better than Windows. She was cool things I can do... it only messes up when I do something wrong... you should get a Mac too... it costs more but it's worth it... Windows has nothing on Mac OS X.

4. It's really the software that makes the difference, since the hardware is the same... software is what I need to work with not hardware, so Windows is out, but can I get that cool Alienware/Voodoo hardware in a Mac variation.... what Apple only makes machines for the middle of the line, no high end professional stuff, no ultra portable... okay I can live with that.

5. MAN! There is another cool laptop out there made by _____ I would love it if Apple made a model like that. If I was a Windows user I'd be able to get any machine I'd want from a 7" laptop to a 21" laptop and an iMac to an HP Blackbird 002. But WINDOWS JUST SUCKS! Why does Windows have to suck so much?

Then by this time you have come to realize that Mac OS X was and may forever be the right choice, but the hardware Apple gives you isn't as great on the Pro end. For consumers it's a wonderful line up. Video editing Pros..... all we have are the new Mac Pros and the possibility of a laptop with real hardware inside of it.

:)

8. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Instead you could get a gray screen of death telling you in numerous different language to restart your computer.

9. denz455 thread starter macrumors member

denz455

SOOOOO..in 5 years il come find you and let you know that you were right?
    haha it does sound exciting, and i think its the idea of change that excites me as well. The new desktop, new keys, new applications, new browsers, new forums. The list is endless...

10. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

"I found that although apple pc's were several 100 dollars more than the microsoft pcs"

You'll come to see that's not the case. Cheaper Windows machines are out there, but COMPARABLE Windows machines cost the same or more, even if you put only a minor value on the Apple software. If you put a true value on the included Apple software and a true negative value on the Windows user experience, and factor in the Apple hardware resale differential, you'll see that Macs are now the economical choice.

11. GAS macrumors regular

Windows is bad, but it's not that bad. At least be fair :/

12. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

From anecdotal experience, Windows XP users find it a lot easier to switch to MacOS X than switching to Vista. When they switch to MacOS X, nothing is where it used to be, but everything is easy to find. When they switch to Vista, nothing is where it used to be, and you can't bloody figure out where it went.

Add to that the fact that Leopard is ten times more efficient than Vista and runs a lot faster on equivalent hardware, and add the two biggest features of Leopard: Spotlight - find everything on your computer _fast_, and Time Machine - a backup system that people actually _use_, and Leopard doesn't just stand up to Vista, it throws it on the ground, kicks it when it's down and tramples on its little fingers with joy. :D

13. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I found vista very easy to switch to.

14. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

98 S1 stands up strong next to Vista.. this ain't a fair comparison :)

15. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

98 was a very good OS. I mean it had preemptive multitasking and all! You know, something Mac OS didn't have until OSX came out.

16. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

It is if you're going by the public demonstration of Windows 98, or was it 95... :p

However I agree, it's not as bad these days.

17. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I've seen OS9 crash just as much as 98. If i had a choice i'd rather be on 98 than OS9.

Most of the people i know who really hate apples have used OS9, the ones who like apples have only used OSX.

18. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

So true, and I own an IT support company ROFL. When I installed Vista on one of my machines, I had to google where they put the 'run' command.

Sure easy, but at times very annoying as they totally changed the systems file structure... "C:\Documents and Settings\username" is gone for Vista, as are a bunch of other things. Since Windows 2000 it has been the same structure so it is weird having it change in Vista.

OS X is very fun to use - I just wish that Apple's video drivers didn't suck so much...

19. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Nonsense.

20. hari-bhari macrumors regular

comparing os x to vista is like comparing caviar to dogsh*t

21. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

That's true, i found caviar had a really foul taste myself. Kind of like i would imagine dog poo to taste like.

22. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I would use 98 before I would use Vista to tell you the truth. OS9 was more stable and easier to navigate than Vista IMHO. Some of the older stuff worked like clock work, even better than Leopard in some instances.

Yeah right my friend. Vista isn't that bad, but compared to Tiger Vista is garbage. Compared to Leopard.... I am not so sure.

23. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I wouldn't go as far as say Vista is garbage (I reserve that title for Windows ME). It has its fair share of issues and MS should be working harder to fix them as fast as it can.

It's lagging behind XP, Tiger and Leopard in quality but it does have a few nice little additions in it over XP.

24. Kelly™ macrumors regular

Truth.
    Vista is in no way bad, its average, nothing special, a few years in experience short of XP.
    The reason XP is better is because it has had years of updates and SP's behind it.
    Install XP pre service pack one and then compare to vista.

However, no amount of Service Packs or years IMHO will ever bring Vista or XP into a competitive line with OS X.

Since you can install Vista via boot camp and run it through parallels in coherence mode when you don't need 3D, I see no reason why leopard on an intel mac shouldn't be anyones #1 choice for a computer.

25. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

in an ideal world tiger would be my primary os but if I had to choose between leopard and vista I'd go leopard merely because its the lesser of the two evils

Which is exactly what I did. I returned my Dell xps m1330 and chose a blackbook instead. On my iMac (main machine) I'm still running Tiger