Does Microsoft still own some Apple stock?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by uaecasher, Apr 18, 2009.

1. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

hello,

I was wondering if Microsoft still owning some of apple stock that it bought at 1997?

2. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

No, they should have kept it though, it would be worth a fair amount even now.

Just another in a string in bad business decisions made by Microsoft recently.

3. uaecasher thread starter macrumors 65816

uaecasher

btw you sow the movie "Pirates of silicon valley" is the story line true ?

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It is a movie based on a book about real people and events.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes, Microsoft did buy Apple stock in 1997 and were unable to sell it for 3 years I think (until 2000), after that they could. I think they must have sold them.

If they did, Microsoft might be still kicking themselves as a year later (2001) the iPod came out and Apple stock started to rise like foaming milk until November 2007 (Before markets collapsed and all that).

6. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

At what time did Microsoft stopped owning some Apple stock?

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I assume right after their 3 year limit was up. But I assume they don't, they may as well still own it.

8. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

They still do? :confused:

Look at today's market share:

AAPL: 124.43
    MSFT: 18.12

If they still do then why MSFT have a very low market share as Ebay while AAPL is almost as high as Google and IBM?

9. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

You fail at economics.

10. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Can you teach me?

11. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

stock price is not market cap. apple is worth 109.91B microsoft is worth 170.70B at todays stock prices. MS is worth 70% more money, despite the difference in stock prices.

When you consider Microsofts pe ratio is only about 10, whereas apple is at 22, ms seems like a really good deal right now actually, if you beliebe its worth will continue to go up. Apple, potentially not so much.

Stock prices are about the last measure you would use to compare companies.

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The PE (Price-Earnings ratio) is a measure of the market's faith in the growth potential of the company. Both Microsoft and Apple are two well-known companies that have been around for more than 30 years. It is inconceivable that a single individual with no inside knowledge could have greater wisdom on these companies' prospects than the collective wisdom of the market. It would be boneheaded in the extreme to bet against the market's assessment of Microsoft and Apple.

13. uaecasher thread starter macrumors 65816

uaecasher

2 things i don't understand in movie:

1) how could steve jobs be kicked out of his own company.

2) how could bill gates run away when he copied mac .

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Once Apple went public (stock market) it was no longer his company, it is now a publicly traded company that you me or anyone who can buy shares could own a piece of. Hence, Steve became an employee of the company he founded but is no longer owner off. This means he now had bosses to answer to (Board of Directors and investors) and could be potentially fired.

Because the current Apple CEO at the time couldn't really show how MS copied of Mac OS. Everyone knows MS copied off the Mac, its just legally, they couldn't show it. Hence, MS was off the hook.

15. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

The CEO at the time also signed a key agreement which effectively licensed parts of the Mac GUI to Microsoft. If that agreement hadn't been signed, then its likely the outcome of the case would have been different.

16. uaecasher thread starter macrumors 65816

uaecasher

that's why i think apple does not have a market share like Microsoft, because they had management problems, I also sow the documentary "Welcome to macintosh" and I can see apple had a bad history with management

17. uaecasher thread starter macrumors 65816

uaecasher

18. jabbawok macrumors regular

jabbawok

Seriously. I wouldn't trust everything you read on Wikipedia. its about as trustworthy as a tabloid newspaper. More to the point, so what if his dad was an Arab? Aren't 99.9% of Americans Imigrants.

19. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Microsoft's marketshare in Windows was inherited from its marketshare with MS-DOS. But the premise of your assertion is to compare apples and oranges, pardon the pun.

One serious mistake that you are making is to assume that the history of personal computers is the history of Apple and Microsoft. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I would suggest that you read more than one book. After you do, you will marvel at what Apple has done. Unlike Microsoft, Apple did not have a sugar daddy to guarantee its livelihood. Apple did it on its own.

Apple is today a consistent profitable and innovative company. It is the only surviving pioneer manufacturer of personal computer CPUs. IBM, Radio Shack, Texas Instruments, Commodore, Cromenco, Franklin Computer, Digital Equipment Corporation, and many others are gone. Apple is still here and going strong. Not too shabby.

20. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

As for the original stock question, no they don't...

21. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

IBM is still alive and kicking - well I'm not sure about kicking by they are alive for sure.

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

wiki has been shown to have about the same number of errors as an encyclopedia

23. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Which makes me think somehow they must be kicking themselves right now considering how much that stock amount is worth today.

24. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Not in the personal computer market, it isn't. It sold the remnants of that business to Chinese Government-owned Lenovo.

25. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

I LOL'd at this thread.

I just found it funny as heck. No idea why? :rolleyes:;)