Does mobilesubstrate eat battery?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by thadoggfather, Aug 8, 2010.

1. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

I have a jailbroken i4, all I have on here is ultrasn0w and signal to support the unlocker dev. I went into Cydia and saw updates for mobilesubstrate and ui tools and installed them. When I open skype it still has that modified firmware popup. Also, I didn't have mobilesubstrate listed under packages installed before but does ultrasn0w already do this? Does mobilesubstrate eat battery? Thanks.

2. protox macrumors regular

I said this in the other thread that both my iPhone 4 was draining utterly fast because of ultrasn0w. Uninstall it and see if it's the problem for you also.

3. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

I don't have ultrasnow installed but the very LATEST update from mobilesubstrate started eating a little more battery than it originally had.

Ultrasnow by its nature will eat up a little battery because it is a constant process that runs in the background.

4. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

If I uninstall the latest update of mobilesubstrate, will ultrasn0w stop working?

Or would that be a silly move anyways?

5. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Yes. Both ultrasn0w and Signal have a dependency on mobilesubstrate.

6. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

Makes me wish I didn't install the mobilesubstrate update but it probably irons out some necessary things.

7. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Why what's wrong with the update?

8. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

Seems like it's munching up battery more than before installing it.

9. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

It's probably something else. Let your battery run down and full charge again.

10. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

Also I have mms icon but I can't send them. I get exclamation point. Other people have the same problem.

11. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Anything that runs as a background daemon, as MS does, will use sons extra battery. On the other hand, there is very little worth doing on ajailbroken iPhone that doesn't need the functionality provided by MS. MS is what allows jailbreak apps to 'hook' into system processes and modify their behavior. Also, having MS do this function is far less battery intensive than having every app do its own hooking. If we did not have MS to do this, ultrasn0w itself would have to perform the same function and would itself eat up more battery.

12. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

I see. I think what it is is ultrasn0w started working after I updated mobilesubstrate haha. And it munches battery a bit more.

I don't think MS is the culprit then.

13. thuff59 macrumors member

thuff59

I'm having the same problem with my battery life. I can have a fully charged battery and eight hours later the battery is fully depleted without me doing anything. I just have SBSettings, Activator, and Five Icon Dock installed. In addition, my phone gets pretty warm.

14. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I noticed my phone is getting warmer as well. I had previously been JB with Spirit and unlocked with Ultrasn0w on 3.1.3 and never noticed the phone getting warm. I upgraded to 4.0.1 used jailbreakme.com and the new ultrasn0w and now when I am on a phone call find the phone is acting as an ear warmer. Apart from Cydia i only have winterboard, terminal, openssh and wififofum installed.

15. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

it's most likely the latest mobilesubstrate, not ultrasn0w. it has also been discussed on another forum, and everyone came up with the same conclusion.

16. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

The latest mobilesubstrate caused an increase battery drain for me so i reverted back to the older one.

However to the poster who said that the phone gets warm while on a phone call, that happens to every iphone i've used, JB or not.

17. WMuntean macrumors regular

How did you revert to a previous version?

18. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

I'm curious too. I've noticed a slight increased battery drain (around a 10% decrease in 4 hours with no use).

19. cmb741 macrumors member

SSH into ur phone, Place the .Deb in tmp folder and use ifile or Mobile terminal to install.I would recommend uninstalling Mobile Substrate first but this will uninstall all ur JB apps.
    I just installed the deb over the current version & it seems ok tho.

http://apt.saurik.com/debs/

20. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

Yep it's fine to install the older deb over the new version. I downgraded, and noticed an increase in battery life, if not much.

21. cmb741 macrumors member

I went back to the last Mobile Substrare, Removed Openssh, Activator, Sbsettings, & Libhide.
    So far I'm seeing a pretty decent improvement.:)
    I did have to remove alot of files left over from Sbsettings manually with Ifile tho.
    I'm gonna see how it goes tnte then probably try installing Sb again tomorrow

22. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

Which substrate are you guys using? 3226?

Are you noticing Google Maps freezing?

23. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

24. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

ultrasn0w definitely burns battery.

I installed it the other day to let a friend try his t-mobile service on the ip4 and forgot about it.

yesterday someone called and asked if I had gotten their voicemail. I wondered what they were talking about! Also, the battery drained 20%+ overnight while the phone was idle.

I uninstalled ultrasn0w, got 3 voicemails almost instantly, and my battery life has seemed to level out a bit.

Its great that I have the option to unlock so I'll have flexibility while traveling but until then, ultrasn0w will remain uninstalled.

25. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

Hey guys. I did a restore and fresh JB using 4.0.1 on iPhone 4. Haven't installed mobilesubstrate or anything yet since re-JB, but I do have Cydia and phone is jailbroken -- battery is the same as before jailbreak.

I keep reading that 3228 is causing battery drain moreso than 3226. I tend to think this too, it was a major battery hog after installing the latest mobilesubstrate. Ultrasn0w might not help either it seems but planetbeing seems to think otherwise unless he's in complete denial (but he seems cool and not arrogant unless he's unaware of the issue and it's something he did to his phone first before installing it that we have overlooked)

http://cydia.myrepospace.com/evnhvn/

I just created a repo and uploaded 0.9.3226-1 to it.

Can you guys try downloading/installing that from my repo and see if that works instead of iFile/OpenSSH methods which require you to already have mobilesubstrate/overwrite it/then possibly respring and reboot while SSH'ing the phone?

Seems like it'd be easier to just install the version (which I got from saurik's server) by adding my repo on Cydia and downloading/installing it off there. Not sure if it will work or not, I can't see why it wouldn't though. I installed 3209 from a chinese repo and things acted wonky, but that might be 3209 or the chinese repo itself. This is just a file I got from saurik's server and put on my own repo...

Anyways, thanks. Only trying to help and make things easy