Does night shift really work?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jetlagged, Sep 27, 2016.

1. jetlagged macrumors 6502

i have a bad case of jetlag after I flew from Japan to california. It's been a week already, I would sleep at 10 pm, and automatically wake up at 3 am.

Someone said I should avoid touching my iPad mini 4 at night coz of the blue light which affects my body's internal clock keeping me more awake.. I have night shift enabled for the past week but I haven't noticed any difference whether it helps me fall asleep. Granted night shift is definitely more pleasant to my eye at night coz of the warmer color.

2. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

Like most things in the medical community, there are studies that show a negative correlation between blue light and sleep quality and there are studies that show no correlation between blue light and sleep quality. BUT correlation is NOT causation so keep giving it a shot and see.

3. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Well, from a purely scientific point of view no iOS device puts out enough blue light to effect your body's melatonin in any significant way*. So to answer your question, probably not.

On the other hand, the human mind is a funny thing. So if you *think* something effects your sleep, it may! Do what works for you.

A.

* unless you hold your 12.9" iPad Pro up to your face, anyway.

4. GoldfishRT macrumors 6502

GoldfishRT

Can't speak to whether it will help you sleep. I get pretty bad eyestrain with most displays at night and Night Shift (and Flux) help a lot with that.

5. Mike B in ok macrumors member

Mike B in ok

My unscientific opinion is Night Shift and many other sleep aids/hazards affect different people in different ways. But I doubt it does any harm. They say it takes your body one night for every time zone (hour) shifted to adapt to a zone change, but I always find flying from West to East a LOT harder than going the other direction.

Things that help me adapt to a zone change are getting some direct sunlight, or at least bright light (I've been known to stare directly into lamps for a few moments!) just after waking up, and avoiding bright light for a couple of hours before bedtime.

6. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Try it and find out if it works for you. That's the only answer to this question that matters.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Not sure if it works but I do like the dimmed and yellow screen in lower lighting conditions.

I have no problem falling asleep.

8. jetlagged thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies. Mike B in ok: I also read about the timezone difference and number of days to adjust. Japan is 16 hours ahead time zone difference compared to California. So i'm Day 9 out of 16 days for my body to adjust. I'm not really counting on it though. i've been using night shift for the past 1 week now. i haven't noticed any difference. i would fall asleep at 930 pm to 10 pm, and i would automatically wake up at 3 am. its been like that for the past week now. it's like my body has set an automatic inner alarm clock.

i just woke up this morning at 3 am exactly and couldn't get back to sleep. tried doing deep breathing exercises to relax myself to no avail.

but night shift is a pretty nice feature though.

9. Ries macrumors 68000

Works for me in a positive way. I've cranked it up to max on my laptop and iPad. It feels like it is easier to fall asleep (placebo or not) right after using them (having nightshift activated or not). Deactivating it right before sleep feels like im suddenly starring right at the sun.

10. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

i don't know about sleep but nightshift/flux is definitely way easier on the eyes.

11. jetlagged, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016

jetlagged thread starter macrumors 6502

12. Math889 macrumors 65816

If you are on IOS 10, swipe the control center and then click night swift .problem solved

13. Perene, May 28, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017

Perene macrumors 6502

Perene

If I enable Night Shift and True Tone, will that cause some sort of problem during the period where Night Shift is enabled? I mean, will this impair one of the two or both?

Edit: A user replied this:
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/new-ipad-pro-true-tone-and-night-shift.1964692/#post-22741616

14. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

My iPad doesn't support Night Shift, however I've used F.lux. Whether it helps me sleep, I can't say; no noticeable difference. It is easier on the eyes however.
    --- Post Merged, May 28, 2017 ---
    Try it! :D

15. IPadNParadise macrumors 6502

IPadNParadise

I have an IPP 9.7", which of course has a True Tone Display, and I have enabled Night Shift. I never thought about whether one would impair the other.

16. I7guy macrumors G5

Blue light at night, imo, is harsh on the eyes. I used to dim my screen, now I use night shift, and I find the screen easier to look at.

Even w10 has a night shift like function built-in.