Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
I still use my X and want to upgrade this year but I do worry about losing 3D Touch. The feature I use the most is hard pressing the keyboard to get the cursor. I know there’s a feature to hold on the space bar (not as convenient but whatever), but what I really like is moving the cursor to a certain word and then pressing even harder on the screen to instantly highlight that word, and then while pressing I can drag across a longer portion of the sentence I want highlighted.

I use this very often. Is there an equivalent method for doing this in the newer devices or is it completely goodbye to that functionality?

imp3rator

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2019
1. Hold finger on word (or double tap) and then move small circle to highlight what you need
2. Move cursor by spacebar and then tap to left/right on keyboard - then you can moving cursor and highlight left or right (similar after hard press in 3D touch - but needs a second finger :D)

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
1. Hold finger on word (or double tap) and then move small circle to highlight what you need
2. Move cursor by spacebar and then tap to left/right on keyboard - then you can moving cursor and highlight left or right (similar after hard press in 3D touch - but needs a second finger :D)

There we go! Option 2 is just what I was hoping for. I thought this functionality would be lost but I see that works very similarly. Thanks dude ?

Edit: Hmmm, it does seem a bit buggy and unresponsive compared to 3D Touch though. But hopefully they’ll enhance that

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
There we go! Option 2 is just what I was hoping for. I thought this functionality would be lost but I see that works very similarly. Thanks dude ?

Edit: Hmmm, it does seem a bit buggy and unresponsive compared to 3D Touch though. But hopefully they’ll enhance that
Long press (or haptic touch) pretty much stinks (imo), if you are a 3DT fanatic.

Reactions: felixen
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.