Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BD1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Does the new Notes have folders and/or tags or any type of organization?

And any sort options?

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
With the upcoming possibilities of the Notes app for storing web pages (euhm, Safari's Reader list?) and even checklists (euhm, Reminders?), one would expect to get some sorting options.
But guess what: nope. Notes remains a completely useless app to me.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
You can have folders now. On a Mac use the "View" menu to "Show Folders List" and you can make Folders. They'll appear on iOS too. I don't think you can make them on the iOS app though.

Screen Shot 2015-06-09 at 12.54.53 AM.png
@BD1
@GerritV

BD1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
With the upcoming possibilities of the Notes app for storing web pages (euhm, Safari's Reader list?) and even checklists (euhm, Reminders?), one would expect to get some sorting options.
But guess what: nope. Notes remains a completely useless app to me.

It looks like it is just sorting by date?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Is there an Notes extension in Safari's share sheet as well? Evernote has this web clipper which is nice for storing web articles.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Good to see. Thanks. Goodbye Evernote which I use a bit now but don't really like the UI
My feelings as well. I started using Evernote a few months ago for the Folder organization, but there's too much of the app that feels bloated and that I never use. Going back to Notes.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Folders!!! Yes! :)
We need to feedback to apple through the dev program to add folder creation to the notes whilst they are ironing out bugs.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
One of the best things about Evernote is the ability to move a notes between folders. You can click a category to make the change. Is there anything like this in ios9?

Unhyper

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Finland
One of the best things about Evernote is the ability to move a notes between folders. You can click a category to make the change. Is there anything like this in ios9?
You can click Edit, select the note, click Move To, and select the category you want to move it to.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I guess I can ask here as well. When you upgrade to iOS 9 it asks you to upgrade the notes app. If you say not now do does anyone know how to upgrade it later?

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Couple more questions for iOS 9 users

-can you embed PDFs? (drag them in). I see you can filter notes by 'document' on el capitan but not sure what 'documents' you can use

-On el capitan, there is a share sheet to send to notes. Is there a share sheet option in safari to send the page to notes (another evernote feature :) )

Wormald

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
London
From within the iOS Notes app, the only thing you can add to a note is an image.

I can't see a iOS Safari share sheet for Notes in the current beta either.

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
I sure hope notes works as well as advertised. Would love to drop Evernote. Love their functionality but the looks and colors on that thing are awful.

Reactions: rsbell

ItsGavinC

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
From within the iOS Notes app, the only thing you can add to a note is an image.

I can't see a iOS Safari share sheet for Notes in the current beta either.

I see the Notes share sheet in Safari. It's 3rd from left.

BD1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
I see the Notes share sheet in Safari. It's 3rd from left.

Does this share a link or a copy of the entire web page? That is one thing nice about Evernote is all of the web clipping options. I don't expect Notes to match all of these options but it would be nice if Notes share sheets will share the web page not just the url.

Noble Actual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
Eh, the formatting still looks like crap especially if you've used Evernote's new clean design or Notability.

Not enough organizing and sorting features now but hopefully they get added.

ortutt

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2007
My feelings as well. I started using Evernote a few months ago for the Folder organization, but there's too much of the app that feels bloated and that I never use. Going back to Notes.

Me too. Only wish for the ability to search for unchecked checkboxes, which I use in Evernote. Other than that, the option for folders in Notes really makes Evernote redundant for me

Reactions: rsbell
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.