Does RAM have to be EEC and registered/buffered for 2010 12core?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by yiagoulas, Oct 14, 2010.

1. yiagoulas macrumors newbie

yiagoulas

I am waiting for my 12core and I am trying to get some memory upgrading.
    I called OWC and told me the best thing is to get the modules in 3s (triple channel).
    So I thought to get 3x4 (12gb). At OWC is around 378. I found today as an offer at newegg this.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...dRating3=3&Keywords=(keywords)#scrollFullInfo

Is this good memory. I think it;s unbuffered/non ecc.
    Any suggestions?

THanks in advance

2. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I believe you can use non-ECC RAM, but you would be much better sticking to the RAM that is meant to use with it, which is ECC RAM...I know it costs more, but it is better for your machine in the long haul.

3. philipma1957, Oct 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2010

philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

85 a stick comes to about 255 the discount cancels the shipping.
    I purchased 3 sticks of 1066 4gb ram from them for my mac pro 2010 2.8 quad.
    note I am only pretty sure it will work I have not tested it. I have used this company a lot for their sticks of ram.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

You can use non-ECC (standard DDR-3), Unbuffered ECC (UDIMM), and Registered ECC (RDIMM). But it has to all be the same (cannot mix multiple types).

There's also thermal sensors used in MP memory, so to avoid issues, I'd recommend going with OWC, Trans Int'l,... as a vendor (they specialize in Apple products). Keep your timings to CL = 7 as well.

It's not impossible to use other memory (i.e. Crucial or Kingston), but it can be more problematic (if at all), as it's hard to find the detailed specs (may not find out if the thermal diode is on the PCB or not). So you'd have to be prepared to deal with a return (can make the promise of cost savings go down the drain once you add up shipping and restocking fees).

5. dave239 macrumors newbie

Hello nanofrog

Thanks for the warning about thermal sensors. I am looking for memory in UK for a hex core 2010 MP (either 3 x 4GB or 3 x 8GB) - I am still awaiting a reply from Crucial UK as to whether or not their memory modules have sensors. - I will post the outcome.

Can I please query your comment on keeping to CL=7. Is there any CL=7 1333MT/s memory yet available ? - as far as I can see, from OWC and Crucial websites, all their 1333MT/s modules listed for 2010 MP are CL=9. I wasn't sure whether your comment related to 1066 systems or whether you were actually recommending getting slower (1066MT/s) memory with CL=7 for a 1333 system as there is a cost saving (and the latency is only very slighty more).

Thanks
    dave239

6. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

Ive always used Crucial for RAM. Recently bought x3 4GB modules of ECC RAM from them. Works fine. I'll probably always use Crucial in the future. Maybe even for one of their SSD's.

7. cutterman macrumors regular

Crucial memory is guaranteed compatible, and is in fact what I have used in my 2010 (and 2007) MP. It does have the temp sensor on the PCB.

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

Apparently the current DDR3 based sticks do work with MP's, so you can go that route (cutterman).

It's what Apple's using for 1333MHz DDR3 UDIMM as well. CL = 9 is more common, as it's cheaper.

But I ultimately mentioned it as a means of avoiding any incompatibility over the timings.

I've not seen too many complaints for Crucial in MP's (a couple of DOA sticks). Kingston has been more problematic from the posts I've seen.

But I thought something quick should be mentioned. Sorry for any lack of clarification. :eek:

9. silby101 macrumors member

Hi all,

I didn't want to drop as much for 12Gb with 3x4Gb sticks, so I researched, and decided to go with 2x4Gb and use two of the original 1Gb sticks so that I have 10Gb for almost half of what 12Gb gets you. They are ECC, 1333Mhz, with Thermal sensor, and unbuffered which is what you need for them to play nicely with the stock ram that comes in the Mac Pro 2010 (hex core or 12-core).

KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139262&Tpk=KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G

I got mine from Newegg.ca in Canada which is now out of stock. I'm going to run some more intensive tests on the RAM tonight, but so far, it's running perfectly.

10. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

Nehalem/westmere uses triple channel memory, meaning you are supposed to install memory in pairs of 3 for best performance.

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

It's not necessary to get the system to function, and there's little software that can actually utilize the additional bandwidth of a triple channel configuration.

12. sine-nomine macrumors regular

noted