Does restoring as new really hide the previous jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Goldinboy17, May 1, 2011.

1. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I ask because last time I went to the Genius Bar the Genius gave me a look when I needed to have it fixed. Instead of replacing it they actually took it in the back and worked on it for about half an hour which somewhat fueled my speculation that they knew it was jailbroken. Sorry for being somewhat paranoid but since I have to go to the store tomorrow for another issue I don't want to be denied. My iPhone is currently jailbroken but I'm planning on upgrading and setting it up as new and restoring it once more to be safe. I'll also install all of my music and apps to try to avoid suspicion.

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, just don't install the iPad baseband, have a baseband that doesn't match your firmware version, or restore it from a backup. Set it up as a new iDevice instead.

4. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

There's no way. Probably they are trying to make you confess you've had a jailbroken iphone.
    Restore as NEW and install some apps and other things to don't appear as a stock phone, if you're paranoid about that.

5. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

makeitmine is a dead giveaway. it rolls with backups.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    Dont get paranoid just because you got a look from an Apple employee.

7. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I am sure makeitmine does appear even after you restore but i am not sure if it will still be there if you restore as new. Not sure if it would happen if you change the font too. And of cause iPad BB is a giveaway too.

Apart from these three then i reckon it's safe.

8. PharmDoc macrumors 6502

my IP4 is acting up and it's JB on 4.2.1. Will my phone have a problem if I upgrade (not restore) to 4.3.2 (meaning will it cause the phone to crash or become inoperable)?. I wanted to take it in to the genius bar so I was hoping to have a stock phone that they could look at. Thanks.

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

AFAIK, an upgrade also erases everything, but if you feel paranoid restore and upgrade.

10. AdrianK macrumors 68020

It does if you restore from a backup from when you made a change with MIM. It just edits a plsit which is copied over when making a backup, so you could changed the carrier without being JB'd if you want :p

11. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

If the so called Genius (can't help but see that Southpark geniuses before my eyes LOL) gives everyone that interrogating look about 10-15% of the in-store customers feels antsy =)

A DFU restore followed by setting up the iPhone as NEW certainly wipes the iPhone clean.

12. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

Any time you have an issue, they take the phone into the backroom to check if the water sensor indicators have been triggered. I went in recently with a jailbroken phone that I had restored from a backup (I didn't feel like setting it up as a new phone when I was hoping apple was going to replace it). Phone was taken in the back, I was told there was water damage, but they gave me a replacement anyway for free. No issue with the restored JB data.

13. Goldinboy17 thread starter macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Thanks you guys. Got my phone replaced quickly and promptly, woohoo!

14. ACint24 macrumors member

I have never had an issue replacing anything at an Apple Store. They normally just want to get you in and out so that you keep your mouth shut about the horrible problems you had with their MAGICAL device :cool:

15. labman macrumors 604

labman

How is the Android/Blackberry forum these Days? Welcome our newest!

[​IMG]

16. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I had the same thought and found an old thread saying basically the same thing this weekend, after a restore they cant tell. Anyway when you make the appointment part of the troubleshooter online is to restore the phone with the most recent firmware.

17. qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

From what I understand it doesn't necessarily erase every single trace of a jailbreak, but it erases more than enough to make a jailbreak undetectable for most practical reasons.

I guess what I'm saying is the way I understand it, unless you've seriously ticked off Apple to the point that they're willing to spend more on forensics on your iPhone to determine if you've voided your warranty via jailbreak than it would cost them just to replace/repair your phone, you're probably good.

18. labman macrumors 604

labman

All I can say is I have Jailbroken all my Iphones 3G- I4. In that time I have exchanged 3 formally Jailbroken iphones at Apple. I have never had a problem with getting a replacement because I jailbreak. I even walked in with a jailbroken phone to ask a question. I was told by the Genius take it home restore and bring it back. That ended up being my 1st exchange.

19. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

I need to get a replacement for my iPhone 4 due to the home button having issues. I am JB right now and I understand I need to do a sync, then restore and set up as new device.

What I would like to do is set it up as new and then when I get my new phone, set it up from a back up (obviously I know it will not be JB and I am ok with that). If I sync then set up my current phone as new, will that leave a backup on my computer of how my phone is now? Or will the backup be blank since I will have just setup my phone as a new device?

Does setting it up as new create a itunes backup (which would be of a stock phone)?

Is there a tutorial somewhere?

20. TC25 macrumors 68020

1. Backup current phone.
    2. Get new phone
    3. Activate as New
    4. Restore from Backup from Step 1
    5. JB new phone.

21. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

22. TC25 macrumors 68020

You already identified the process for doing this. I didn't repeat it.

23. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

My concern is more in depth than that. Read my post about setting up as new as to what happens to the back up.

24. TC25 macrumors 68020

Nothing happens to the backup, it's still there in case you need to restore.

25. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

Any idea where backups are stored on a pc? For peace of mind, I would want to take the backup and back it up on another place on the PC.