Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

j2ee

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
Does Samsung chip have any advantage over TSMC chip at all? Sadly my wife 6s plus comes with Samsung chip even just around 30% chance to get one for 6s plus! Possible to get a new one until getting a TSMC? How can Apple sell the same phone but one has 20%-30% more power than the other one!?

Last edited:

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Refund for what? Doesn't the phone work as advertised or do you plan to show the store some youtube videos?
In real world use, you will get the same battery life from either phone.

Now, if your wife is spending 8 hours processing 4K videos, and within the return period, by all means, get a refund.

j2ee

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
Refund for what? Doesn't the phone work as advertised or do you plan to show the store some youtube videos?
In real world use, you will get the same battery life from either phone.

Now, if your wife is spending 8 hours processing 4K videos, and within the return period, by all means, get a refund.

Why not apple just put a A7 in it and tell me 20-30% comparing to A9 different is the same? Why do you think it would be same battery life? that is 20-30% longer battery for cpu use, can you use the phone without using the cpu?

Reactions: MaciMac100

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Does Samsung chip have any advantage over TSMC chip at all? Sadly my wife 6s plus comes with Samsung chip even just around 30% chance to get one for 6s plus! Possible to get refund? How can Apple sell the same phone but one has 20%-30% more power than the other one!?

Given the iPhone 6S/6S+ was released on Sept 25. Today, Oct 8, is within the 2 week refund window. You can refund for any reasons. Does this answer your question? Could we have a moderator close this thread, please?

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Yes Apple should send all users who got the Samsung chip and 30% refund. Or wait is it the TMSC chip that's inferior?

We should be allowed to open the phones up at the Apple store and inspect the chips before leaving. This is the biggest scandal in the history of iPhone!

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
You can return the phone for no reason at all, if you're within your 14 day window and bought it from Apple. Otherwise, you'll have to contact whoever you bought it from.

Apple never promised you a TMSC chip or a Samsung chip. They only promised you an A9 processor, which you got. Battery life is subjective in any case, since there's so many variables involved.

C

MaxBga

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2015
France
It's getting annoying lol. What a waste of phones for nothing. I can understand that you want the best for what you paid for, but come on. Its super powerful anyways & I don't really believe these battery tests, seems like people are over reacting (in my opinion).

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
Is this a joke?? Samsung or TSMC you've still got the A9 chip!! If you bought from Apple then you're still within the 14 days to return the iPhone.

Eau Rouge

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2013
The TSMC variant is fabbed on a larger feature size so it will be more resistant to bending. It's so strong, Samsung phones will bend in its presence (NFC). Apple has updated Apple Pay to give TSMC A9 phones a 5% discount because they're just better human beings. The chip will also make you a better lover, add Steve's iMessage e-mail to Contacts, and most importantly, totally fixes iTunes Match.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Why not apple just put a A7 in it and tell me 20-30% comparing to A9 different is the same? Why do you think it would be same battery life? that is 20-30% longer battery for cpu use, can you use the phone without using the cpu?

Apple promised you a A9 which is what you got. If they put a A7 in there, refunds would be the least of their problems.

Try again.

321estrellas

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2007
If you got 400km on a fillup of gas from Chevron, and 375km from a fillup in Shell, will you ask Shell for a refund? Gas is gas and you probably drove differently from both fillups.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

j2ee

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
You can return the phone for no reason at all, if you're within your 14 day window and bought it from Apple. Otherwise, you'll have to contact whoever you bought it from.

Apple never promised you a TMSC chip or a Samsung chip. They only promised you an A9 processor, which you got. Battery life is subjective in any case, since there's so many variables involved.

C

How about can I exchange a new phone until the phone is with TSMC chip?

j2ee

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
Apple promised you a A9 which is what you got. If they put a A7 in there, refunds would be the least of their problems.

Try again.

How about there is 2 version of A9, one has 30% more battery than the other one? Is this a lawsuit case?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Does Samsung chip have any advantage over TSMC chip at all?

Both the Samsung and TSMC A9 based iPhone 6s and 6s Plus meet the specs that Apple gave when you bought the phone. Does one have an advantage over the other? It's not known with the sample size that has been taken. It likely isn't noticeable in day to day usage.

Sadly my wife 6s plus comes with Samsung chip even just around 30% chance to get one for 6s plus! Possible to get a new one until getting a TSMC?

As others have said, you can return it if you're inside the return period. Honestly I feel like you'd be wasting your time.

How can Apple sell the same phone but one has 20%-30% more power than the other one!?

Because they both meet the specs that Apple listed when you bought the phone.

Reactions: doboy

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Even though they both meet the advertised specs its not fair to give half the people a far superior performing device battery wise. I would not be happy if I bought a car that was advertised to do 120 and half the people got the same car and it did 150 mph for the same price. I think with such a big difference like this there is potential for a class action lawsuit if it can be proven.

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
How about can I exchange a new phone until the phone is with TSMC chip?

Knock yourself out.

As far as a lawsuit, you have a remedy available to you. Return your phone. Trying to prove any damages that deserve compensation would be impossible, since you can return the phone and get a full refund. I doubt you'd get any compensation for pain and suffering...

Although I think the rest of us in this forum deserve compensation for putting up with OCD complainers... :)

C

Reactions: Beachguy and doboy

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
How about there is 2 version of A9, one has 30% more battery than the other one? Is this a lawsuit case?

Seriously? A lawsuit? Phones with either chip meet the listed specs.

Variations in manufacturing processes can create two chips from the same manufacturer that have different power draw. You're making a big deal over almost nothing.

Reactions: doboy

j2ee

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
No, because the Samsung only gets less battery in benchmark tests

The benchmark tests use real life cases, not much different. This is not like how fast is the cpu, it is how fast the battery burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.