Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhiladelphiaX

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
My current carrier is T-Mobile. I'd really like to purchase an iPhone 4S, though. I've even considered terminating my contract with T-Mobile due to their stubbornness to carry iPhones in their product lines (which I think is detrimental to their market share).

My question is, does T-Mobile USA support unlocked iPhone 4S phones? If I bought an iPhone 4S, would I be able to text, call, and browse the internet on it like I could with, say, Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint?

I'd also like to know, if I can use an unlocked iPhone 4S with T-Mobile, would I be able to use my unlimited data plan/wireless hotspot plan (under T-Mobile) on my iPhone 4S?

What are the setbacks of unlocking an iPhone with T-Mobile?

All answers are appreciated. Thanks.

touchtoneterror

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
yes it will work. you will need to edit your carrier settings so data & MMS work correctly. connect your iphone to wifi and download the correct carrier bundle @ http://unlockit.co.nz

the only downside with t-mobile is that they are slowly refarming their network so iPhones can take advantage of their 3G/4G network and you might be stuck with EDGE if they haven't updated your citys towers yet.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I've even considered terminating my contract with T-Mobile due to their stubbornness to carry iPhones in their product lines (which I think is detrimental to their market share).

Um, not quite. They'd gladly sell the iPhone (and have even said they would) provided they could.

Anyways, yes you can use your iPhone like any other iPhone on Verizon Sprint or AT&T, except it may not have Visual Voicemail or 3G speeds (the latter being determined by your location)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.