iPhone XS Max Does the back of iPhone XS Max have an oleophobic coating

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThatiPhoneKid, Apr 16, 2019.

1. ThatiPhoneKid macrumors 6502a

I know there is an oleophobic coating on the front only the iPhone bit is there one on the back glass?

2. sparksd macrumors 68020

This article seems to imply that there is -

https://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_xs_max-review-1829p2.php

"Apple has been known for applying oleophobic coating on all its phones since the first iPhone and the iPhone XS Max is no exception. Both panels are covered with this coating that makes the surface less susceptible to fingerprints and smudges. It's not like this is some magic fingerprint-resistant layer, but it takes more time for the iPhone to get smudged and it's much easier to clean."

3. ThatiPhoneKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah ok, just wondering because I had some dirt on my old iPhone XS Max and used my saliva to get rid of it with a microfibre cleaning, could saliva remove the oleophobic coating? Thanks

4. ThatiPhoneKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone know if saliva can cause damage to oleophobic coating? Selling my old iPhone XS Max which has a bit of cosmetic damage and it was a bit dirty so cleaning it with my saliva and a cloth and worried this may have damaged the oleophobic coating, don’t want to cause any more damage to it by removing the oleophobic coating. Thanks

5. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68030

Mr_Brightside_@

Saliva only damages it if you lick it directly.

6. sparksd macrumors 68020

There shouldn't be a problem from saliva but clean water (damp cloth) is a better (and recommended) idea.

7. ThatiPhoneKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I only licked the cloth and then wiped it

8. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68030

Mr_Brightside_@

You should be safe then! I've ruined a few coatings by licking my phone clean.

9. ThatiPhoneKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lol xD

10. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That’s interesting, I didn’t know the back of the iPhone XS has an applied oleophobic coating. I would imagine that would wear off more quickly (If the user wasn’t using a case) because of our hands are constantly touching the back the iPhone more so than the front of the iPhone with just one finger in most cases.

11. NJHitmen macrumors 6502

NJHitmen

How many licks does it take to get to the center of an iPhone?

12. 1rottenapple macrumors 68020

Lol if you lick it once it’s wont peel. But two licks or more than it’s gone.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 16, 2019 ---
    I was struggling to get to this joke. I couldn’t remember it.

13. NJHitmen macrumors 6502

NJHitmen

lol, sorry. Showing my age, I guess. It's from an old commercial for Tootsie Pops, circa 1970 - but repeated all over the place for years.

http://tootsie.com/how-many-licks/

14. ThatiPhoneKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I’m just curious, if let’s say I brushed my teeth and then an hour later cleaned my iPhone with a microfibre cloth which has been made damp with my saliva to clean the phone, would this damage the oleophobic coating as my saliva may still contain toothpaste.

I’m asking this as I like brush my teeth 4 times a day and am always cleaning my phone and sometimes when I can’t use water just use my saliva.

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

This is a really strange scenario and yet oddly complicated question you’re asking. All you need to know, is the Oleophobic coating naturally wears off over the course of time with usage, that means wiping the phone down, touching the phone, etc.

16. cc00lltt00nn macrumors regular

cc00lltt00nn

How many licks does it take to contract Hep C?

17. internetrando macrumors 6502

internetrando

However many licks that it takes to not contract Hep C, plus one.

18. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

I think saliva (occasionally) won't hurt anything, as long as it's not a "chunky" spit.
    Can't help but notice that no one has mentioned the use of other body fluids, such as urine for cleaning iPhones.
    Could start a new trend.

I do hope that if you are using spit on your iPhone, as part of your preparation to sell your iPhone, that you reveal that bit of information during the sale. Someone who is truly OCD may then try to remove THAT coating. There's no way that someone else can continue to use THAT same substance, unless you are willing to supply it to others. (No one else has the same spit that you have, so devices may be affected by a change to other types of spit.) :cool:

19. 1rottenapple macrumors 68020

I think OP needs to be careful licking the phone after he eats peanut m&ms. That’s gonna damage the screen for sure.

20. Lekro macrumors regular

Lekro

Saliva won’t make wearing down of the coating any faster, only cleaning products like windex. But don’t do if you care about hygiene (should).

21. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

I think you would have more benefits asking for solutions in a medical forum than here.

Its not any coating what should bother you. No spider, no tint. I mean next week you will be concerned about another “problem” which will occur to your phone.

You can ask here as long as you want but the problem is in you (OCD) not the phone...

22. ThatiPhoneKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi thanks for your reply, my main concern was the chemicals which may have been present in my saliva from toothpaste etc could have caused damage to the coating.

I usually always clean my phone with a small amount of water on a microfibre cleaning cloth however when I got some dirt on my iPhone I didn’t have access to water at the time so just applied a small amount of my saliva to my microfibre cleaning cloth and wiped off the dirt. As I did this an hour after brushing my teeth was concerned some of the chemicals from the toothpaste may have still been present in my saliva and could have caused some of the coating to wear off.

I do think I’m being a little OTT about this though, just like to keep my things in good condition.

23. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

Do u really believe that anybody here knows if and how fast the coating reacts to saliva, toothpaste, tint and spider legs???

Not even Apple could give you a definitive answer. You think they would test this for all chemicals on the planet? They couldn’t ship a phone in a hundred years.

Whats next? Will it survive olive oil which you had on you fingers while making salad, or sunflowers touching it while in the garden. The fart of your cat...
    Nobody knows and cares

24. Lekro macrumors regular

Lekro

I suffer from OCD and to relieve it I often have to look up or gather statistics about how many people experiencing the same issues and how many of them don’t consider it as a problem/do nothing about it.

I can relate to the OP. The spider thread was fun though.