Does the bumper provide any functionality aside the reception issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by matt15f, Jun 28, 2010.

1. matt15f macrumors member

Seems like it is only a fix for the reception issue

2. ckhris macrumors member

Yeah that's all it's for is the reception issue. Has no other purpose... Reception only... That's why they made it to help with reception

3. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

4. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I think the rubberized material will help it absorb impact when it is dropped. I won't be testing this though.

5. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Actually, it has a turbo button on the side. When you push the turbo button, it makes the phone go 10 times as fast. I don't know why Apple isn't publicizing it more. I guess they wanted it to be a surprise.

6. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

That's quite a bargain for $29. Had it been just a rubber bumper, it would have been over-priced . . . .

7. brentsg macrumors 68040

I'm hoping that it will catch dust and pocket lint between the phone and the bumper. I'm thinking that if I can be diligent with rotating which pocket I keep the phone in, I can pretty well keep them lint free. ... fingers crossed...

8. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

The bumper contains less than one dollars worth of material & manufacturing costs. Thus it's primary purpose is further enhancing Apples profit. Secondarily it mitigates the antenna issue to a certain degree.

9. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

It protects the iPhone 4 and makes Apple a buttload of money.

10. gringo0505 macrumors newbie

x = bumper = rubber + buttons = $1 materials
    y = :apple: = greedy
    z = functionality = $ for :apple: + reception fix
    x + y + z = scam

I drew up this system of equations to show Apple's new iPlan.

11. random person macrumors 6502a

It makes the phone easier to grip and also makes it stable on slippery surfaces. Also holds the screen above whatever surface the phone is on so the glass is protected from scrapes on hard surfaces. I'm liking mine just fine.

12. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

apples evil plans

step 1: release bumpers
    step 2:????
    step3: profit

From what i can gather, (i just got mine) it doesn't server a purpose other than right now its fixing my antenna issue and will probably end up scratching my phone more than protecting it. Thanks random dirt!

13. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

It's ovbious that apple knew about the problem. Maybe too late into the production (most likely, however I wonder why an engineer didn't point out the possible problem sooner) of Steve was too stubborn to change anything and threw a tantrum (not likely)
    They were then stuck with a phone they knew was having signal
    issues if you hold your phone like a human at all, either redesign the phon, which could of potentially been up in the millions of pounds to do, ovbiously depending on how far along they were; or they could bring out their first ever 'case' for seemingly no reason and then push it as much a they could at the conference.

This will ovbiously be incorrect if the problem is FIXED with a software update, and I mean fixed, not hidden.

14. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

+1

15. gunnarliden macrumors newbie

for those of you who have the bumper already, does it get stuck in your pocket because of the rubber? I know I bought a full body rubber case for my 3G 2 years ago and I ended up getting rid of it because it always got stuck.

16. matonski macrumors newbie

I love the bumper. It feels very nice in the hand and I believe it will protect the glass pretty well. I say this because I broke my iPhone 3G screen twice and both times it landed on an edge. I'm pretty sure that having rubber there to absorb the shock would have kept it from breaking both times.

17. matonski macrumors newbie

I haven't noticed any sticking.

18. supremeMilo macrumors member

If you have the bumper you won't scratch your phone when you set it down on a table.

I paid $30, thought about selling it for $50 but kept it. $30 is a lot for a piece of plastic and rubber, however it probably costs as much to make as any other case $.05.

19. 5683592 Suspended

I picked up my bumper on launch day and have been using it since then. It's nice having something protecting the phone, while still making it look good.

20. spydr macrumors 6502

spydr

Rubber = 'Protection' (of the casual encounters kind :D)

21. Simburgur macrumors newbie

Does reduced functionality count? It gimps the headphone socket and makes the mute button a pain to access.

It does however add the ability to make phone calls.

22. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

it protects the SS from getting scratched at least! They sent me mine for free so it was worth the $

also have no issue with my headphones or reaching the mute button. In fact I actually like it being harder to put it on mute. My 3gs used to switch on it's own all the time

23. Munitalp macrumors 65816

No way, you mean they aren't breaking even on the deal? Every case manufacturer is making a killing, you think iSkins, inCase, Belkin really spend anymore than $1 or so on manufacturing or materials? Vaja Cases sell for a few hundred usually, they are made in Brazil out of nice leather... but cost probably $3-5 per case manufacturing wise.

24. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Hows it make the mute button a pain to access? They made a huge hole for it just as all other cases have... maybe you have HUGE fingernails?

25. Munitalp macrumors 65816

The rubber bumper is going to scratch your phone how exactly? It protects the sides from falls, and its raised around the edge on both sides to avoid it from making contact when you set it down on a table or another surface, which avoids scratching.