Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if the forum now removes EXIF data automatically from uploaded photos?

I know in the past it didn’t so I used to manually remove EXIF data from photos that were taken in locations I didn’t want to share, but I’ve had a look through the forums and have now noticed photos have no EXIF data attached to them, so I’m assuming it is done automatically now?

Thanks!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
So, we used to not resize images. But now we do. So I believe EXIF is removed due to that process, but I'm not sure I'd count on it? It wasn't an intentional policy decision.

And some users asked us to keep and display exif info. So I'm not sure it's entirely settled right now.

arn

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
So, we used to not resize images. But now we do. So I believe EXIF is removed due to that process, but I'm not sure I'd count on it? It wasn't an intentional policy decision.

And some users asked us to keep and display exif info. So I'm not sure it's entirely settled right now.

arn

Thank you for the answer. I won’t rely on it to remove the EXIF data.

I do agree with some of the other users, it was always interesting to look at EXIF data on uploaded photos. It would be great if there was a way that this could be retained but manually removed by the uploader if desired.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.