Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would it wear out?

• Yes

Votes: 27 54.0%
  • No

Votes: 23 46.0%

• Total voters

Kalloud

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
Hello everyone
Considering it is rather common here to see iPhone users using assistive touch, I was wondering if the mechanical home button on the iPhone 6s and below would really wear out after some use?

Negan Lannister

Suspended
Dec 27, 2016
Hello everyone
Considering it is rather common here to see iPhone users using assistive touch, I was wondering if the mechanical home button on the iPhone 6s and below would really wear out after some use?
Yes.

It happens when you need to press it like 100+ times per day and iOS doesn't have a back button. You will start to notice it after a 1 to 1.5 years. You can use 70% rubbing alcohol to clean the home button while you press it, but eventually they will die out. Happens to Android phones too before the double tap to wake era where the power buttons wears out quickly just for waking it up the screen several times during the day. Anything mechanical or with moving parts will wear out with enough usage. Happens in automobiles, disc drives, HDD storage, etc.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hello everyone
It can. But, is it a really common and/or widespread issue, enough to have people avoid using their home button and use something like Assistive Touch? No, not really.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
As others have said, any mechanical button will fail eventually. Although I have to agree that it isn't as common as some folks would have you think.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Who the heck voted no???! :eek:

But, yes, the home button, as any other button, is subject to wear and tear through normal use.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Almost everyone I've seen using Assistive Touch has more to worry about than a broken home button. It's usually people with heavily damaged phones in my experience. I know several people still using an iPhone 5s and theirs works fine.

I've only ever had the home button fail on one device since my first iPhone in 2008, and it was on my iPhone 4 which was common on this device. It didn't completely fail, but it got worse and worse to the point where I was having to press it down hard multiple times before it would register until I finally sold it.

Reactions: kiopoptr877

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
The battery on my iPhone 5 went bad after 2.5 years (swollen, had to be replaced) but the Home Button was fine.

I think Home Buttons on 5 and newer are generally reliable because they have a stainless steel backplate rather than the plastic on in the 4s and older. A lot less chance of flex and resulting mushy/difficulty pressing.

Reactions: Zaft and 44267547

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I've heard enough people complain about it that I believe it happens. However the only people I've personally seen with nonfunctional home buttons had other damage to the phone that was the more likely culprit.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
I keep my iPhones for two year stints. Never had an issue with the button. Almost everyone I know that uses assistive touch does it because they are afraid the button will stop working, but not because it actually did.

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Never had a Home Button fail or wear out. Still good on my iPad 2, Original iPhone and 6 Plus and iPod Touch 6. Had the 3GS,4S and 5S no problems.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Speaking of home buttons I wonder how the 7's haptic assist button will fare over the long haul.

I had a bit of reserve over this myself. Will it end up being a costly repair outside of warranty? Then I realized, I've never kept any device more than a year. So it quickly passed through my thought process.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
It can happen. Within the first year of having my iPhone 5 the home button got "crunchy", so I had it replaced. I've had the phone almost 4 years, and the crunchiness will come back occasionally but seems to go away or is such that I don't notice it.

The 7 will probably suffer from some other issue. Personally I find the haptic button weird. It seems to make the whole screen click which brings back bad memories of my old BlackBerry Storm2 with the button touch screen that clicked.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The battery on my iPhone 5 went bad after 2.5 years (swollen, had to be replaced) but the Home Button was fine.

I think Home Buttons on 5 and newer are generally reliable because they have a stainless steel backplate rather than the plastic on in the 4s and older. A lot less chance of flex and resulting mushy/difficulty pressing.

That's interesting. I was not aware Apple switched to a steel backplate over plastic. It makes comolete sense for lasting longer and durability.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Anything will wear out eventually. So will, for example, the doorknob on your front door, or the steering wheel in your car. Does that mean you should stop using them or worry every time you do? I don't think so. People here just tend to be really obsessive about their devices. Under normal usage, the physical buttons on your device should last many years. I've never had the physical buttons on an Apple device simply wear out before I was ready to replace the device anyway. I still have an iPhone 3Gs on which all components are fully functional.

I voted "no" simply because even though it can be worn out, it's unlikely to be a problem, and not something that you should worry about.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
My iPhone 6 home button definitely wore out.Its not as clicky as it used to be when it was new.Its a bit "softer" now.Super happy Apple resorted to the virtual home button as it will preserve that clickiness for a long time

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
But does it still work? There is a difference between 'softer' and not working.

My iPhone 6 home button definitely wore out.Its not as clicky as it used to be when it was new.Its a bit "softer" now.Super happy Apple resorted to the virtual home button as it will preserve that clickiness for a long time

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

I'd say that sounds more like it was "worn in" rather than "worn out".

Reactions: Mike5254

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
But does it still work? There is a difference between 'softer' and not working.

It works but the the feedback is not as good as it once was.I would guess its like the 2nd level of haptic feed back on the iPhone 7 whilst when it was new the feedback was more like the third level on an iPhone 7

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Starting with the iPhone 5 apple put in metal brackets which are far more durable.
They will last awhile, even when they wear out you will have gotten a new phone anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.