Does the iPad need a screen protector?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JWalker1995, May 31, 2011.

?

Do iPads need screen protectors??

1. Yes

44 vote(s)
    32.1%
  2. No

93 vote(s)
    67.9%
  1. JWalker1995 macrumors regular

whether its a wet application one such as BSE or a dry 30p one off ebay

what do people think?

2. PT123 macrumors member

Would surely affect the touch screen ability?

3. texcor macrumors member

I dont like screen protectors at all ... I've tried a few and they just destroy the smooth feel of the glass. The iPads glass is highly scratch resistant.

Many people complain about the Zagg Invisible Shield and its orange peel feel but I definitely recommend the Invisible shield for the back side of the iPad in conjunction with the Apple Smart Cover because your iPad's back won't scratch when you put in that typing stand. If you scratch the Invisible Shield you simply send it in and they ship you a replacement. Good deal

4. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

I have an iPad 1 bought on the first day it was on sale, so my iPad is as old as any on the market. I use it every single day. I have never had a screen protector on it, though I do have it in the Apple case. So while the screen is protected from bumps and scratches while I'm carrying it around in the case, while I'm using it it has been unprotected from day one.

Not a single scratch.

5. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

I personally can not stand screen protectors on any of my idevices. I have yet to have a scratch.

6. Built macrumors 68020

PS Crystal Film doesn't affect the touch sensitivity or the way the screen feels one bit. You can't even tell if it's there.

If I left it naked, however, I would be less concerned with scratching the actual screen than of scratching the olephobic coating.

A scratch in the coating is easy to do...and it looks just as obvious and annoying as a scratch/nick in the screen itself.

7. bmat macrumors 6502

I had one on my iPad, but don't on my iPad 2 -- because it just looks better without one. I'm sure once something happens I will wish I had one on.

8. edwins macrumors newbie

I'm embarrassed to admit I let my cat play one of those stupid ipad games-for-cats and with no resulting scratches! :eek: I was more worried about my leather Sena case! (I've had iPad/iPad2 from early on and never worried about or had scratches.)

9. bufffilm, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

the ipad doesn't need a screen protector but if you don't like glare and reflections staring back at you, i'd recommend installing a matte-finish film to it.

i'm using the speck shieldview and neither the screen's touch sensitivity nor picture clarity are impacted in any way.

10. xraytech macrumors 68020

I use Power Support Anti-Glare on my iPad 2 but not for scratch protection purposes.

11. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I put a screen protector on my Gen 1 iPad. A power suppor crystal shield. Love it, silky smooth, can't even tell it's on there. With the way I handle my iPad I feel I need one on the iPad to protect from those small hairline scratches.

12. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I don't like screen protectors on touch screen devices, I feel like it messes with the user experience. I did get a tiny scratch on my iPad's screen though (which is literally so small that I can only find it sometimes, even though I know about where it is).

13. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

+1 on the Crystal Film have one on my iPhone but looking at the prices for iPad 35 bucks for one? yikes

14. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

It depends how careful you are when handling it. Personally, I baby my touch screen devices so that I don't have to use a screen protector. It just doesn't feel the same as using the glass. Plus, I have a folio case so it is always covered when not in use. And when I am using it, it is just my finger touching the screen. So, in short, no. It doesn't actually need one.

15. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yep, those skins on the screen do change the feel of it when u multiple-touch. The back is cool if u put one on.

16. gigemzach macrumors 6502

17. tinyrouter macrumors newbie

tinyrouter

I got my Zagg yesterday, and still thinking should I apply it or leave the screen clear, shiny and unprotected, the way it is now. I'm using Switcheasy Canvas case, though.

18. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Well, and I had one on my iPod, and it was pretty nice. iPad ones are ridiculously expensive or I would have one: my fingers are pretty dry I guess, so they slide a lot better over the film than over the glass.

19. '73-B macrumors regular

I really want to like my power support antiglare, but I've come to the realization that I don't. While the feel of it is fine (not like the orange-peel feel of some other brands), you can see that it's there. Describing it as a haze isn't quite right, but it gives the screen a slightly pixilated rainbowish look. I'm not describing it well at all, but needless to say, I think I'm over it and am planning to take the PS antiglare off and go without a screen protector. I use the smart cover, so that should be fine. I will say, the PS does a good job at reducing fingerprint smudges, or at least makes them less visable.

I use my 3GS without a screen protector and just a leather slip case and have no scratches, so I'm confident the ipad will be just fine.

20. Blakjack, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011

Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

No

My iPad 1 nada scratch on it. The screen is scratch proof to a point. It is a high point. Don't have have a scratch on my iPad 2 but I went ahead and put the screen cover on that came with my switcheasy canvas yesterday.

Scratches can happen. My screen protector doesn't effect the smoothness of my screen.

21. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

No!

Did not use one on my first iPad and I sold it with ZERO scratches. Wife and I both have iPad 2's with smart covers and no screen protectors and no problems so far with the "naked" screen.

22. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

My opinion--On the iPhone, a screen protector is a MUST HAVE. On the iPad, as long as you're keeping the screen covered with something and are careful with it, I don't think there's a whole lot to worry about.

I'm the most OCD person ever, and I don't have a protector on my iPad. It has a back cover (the aluminum scratches VERY easily) and lives in a zip up binder style case when I'm not using it. So when it's not in use, the screen is protected. I worry a lot more about my iPhone getting scratched just due to all the different pockets and bags it ends up in.

23. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

Only if you want a matte screen for reading in light, it helps A LOT!
    Otherwise no. Your iPad has a case that protects the screen surely...;)

24. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

Nope, haven't used one in the over a year that I've had an iPad. I just take care of it. But I can see the need for it for certain situations where damage may happen.

25. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Depends on you

Since its Gorilla Glass by Corning, I'd say NO it should not need a protector?

I bought the wrapsol for front and back and its still sitting in the box. Not lazy just had second thoughts about putting it on.

I have the Apple Cover for the front and the Belkin snap 2 for the back, and the Just Air carry case as an added protection.

Now just contemplating Square Trade or Applecare for extended coverage.