Does the iPhone come charged?

Meister

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
Just unpacked my new 5c and i couldnt turn it on. Like not at all!
Now it seems to be charging.

This is my first iphone, but I know from the ipad and macbooks that they always come at about 50%.

Is this normal?

mr99

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2014
Not typical but not surprising either. Every apple device i've ever purchased has had over 50% battery.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 65832
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
From working at best buy, I can tell you that the 5Cs, for some unknown reason, tend to come uncharged. The 5S always comes pre charged though

brew99

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2014
About a week ago I got a new 5s and the store told me to come back after 30min to give it a time to charge. It wouldn't even turn on.

Now, I do know that lipo batteries shouldn't be stored in such a low state, so I was a little surprised, and hope that it doesn't effect my battery performance

Meister

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
Its charging now. Probably old stock like mentioned.
I am a real :apple: fan boy all the way now :)

I am thrilled since I've used every other :apple: product but never the one that made :apple: successfull today.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I lithium ion battery should be in a suspended state upon deliver, it can stay this way for years. You'll see certain batteries advertise this.

iPhones typically come out of the box around 65-70%. This is important for the retailer for activation too. If not it's a real pita if they need to charge it prior to you using it.

I wouldn't worry about it too much if it acts normally.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I think my 4 came with less than 20% battery, otherwise they were all higher than 50%. Either way... I'll always do a full charge/discharge regardless of what it comes with.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Just unpacked my new 5c and i couldnt turn it on. Like not at all!
Now it seems to be charging.

This is my first iphone, but I know from the ipad and macbooks that they always come at about 50%.

Is this normal?
Why the phone is new, it will be charged.

But if it's sat a while the charge dwindles down to nothing.

It leaves the factory fully charged though

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why the phone is new, it will be charged.

But if it's sat a while the charge dwindles down to nothing.

It leaves the factory fully charged though
Would they really leave the factory fully charged? I believe the best way to store those kinds of batteries is when they are something like a little less than 50% charge, so I'd expect that's how they would leave the factory.

----------

I dont mind old stock. I love the 5c.
Does the iPhone go bad if it sits on the shelf for too long?
Some info about that kind of thing: http://gizmodo.com/how-to-take-care-of-your-smartphone-battery-the-right-w-513217256

And of course directly from Apple: https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

Meister

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
not necessarily. if you left your iOS device lying on your desk for a month or so with a dead battery and then charged it, it would probably work fine.
i dont know how long it was laying in the store.
It was the last stock they had, because the iphone 6 is expected soon and they are trying to sell all the 5c ones.
Thats why they are a bargain now.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah I have read that before, but does that mean the battery is pretty much busted now?
Is there an way to check this?
And could I go to the :apple:store and demand a replacement. Its a brand new phone after all.
It's likely OK. I believe you can try using a program (on your computer) like BackupBot that could get a battery reading for you when you connect the phone to your computer.

Meister

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
It's likely OK. I believe you can try using a program (on your computer) like BackupBot that could get a battery reading for you when you connect the phone to your computer.
thanks for that suggestion! Greatly appreciated :)