Does the iPhone have an alarm?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Captain-Fungi, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Captain-Fungi macrumors member

I work away in hotels a lot so need some sort of alarm clock to drag my ass out of bed in the morning.

Does the iPhone have a built in alarm clock?

Thanks

2. Soulman macrumors member

Soulman

Clock icon

Yes it is, check under the clock icon and its the second icon that's where you will find the alarm.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Yes. In fact, you can store many alarms (different times, alarm sounds, snooze).

4. Captain-Fungi thread starter macrumors member

5. ibanana macrumors 6502

i've read that the iphone need to be switch on for the alarm to ring, is that sadly true ?

Also can you choose a mp3 to wake you up or is it the same as ringtone / txt ?

6. isleofjib macrumors regular

do you mean on as in "powered on" or on as in "not on vibrate"?

i don't think you can choose an MP3, there are only a limited number of tones to use for the alarm. still, the ability to turn off an alarm, but keep it around to turn on later is a very cool feature. it's replaced my regular alarm clock.

7. ibanana macrumors 6502

8. isleofjib macrumors regular

i believe the phone does need to be on before anything will work on it, including the alarm.

9. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

I tried this when i first got the phone and the alarm does not go off...

You also can only choose a ringtone for your alarm sound, not an MP3 (maybe in a future update??)

10. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Why would anything work on the phone if it is OFF?

11. sparkyms macrumors 65816

most mobile phones will sound the alarm when off (provided the alarm is set), and then once the alarm is turned off, give you the option to turn it on.

12. samiwas macrumors 65816

That is bizarre. I have never had a mobile phone that would do anything if it were actually powered off. Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of powering it off? If they were in sleep, they would spring up and sound the alarm or whatever, but powered off? Never heard of it.

13. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Both of my old Nokias' alarms would work when the phone was powered off. Well, it's obviously some sort of "deep sleep" mode instead of truly off, but the battery drain is probably negligible without having to have the phone receiver parts powered up (like a digital wristwatch with alarm that lasts many years on a single tiny battery). Would be nice if the iPhone did this because the battery life is not great as it is. I usually have to plug it in every night, but it would be nice to have the option to skip a day here and there and save battery powere at night.

But, I do love the fact that you can have as many alarms as you want, with different sounds, and that it knows about things like "weekdays", "weekends", etc. I think I have about a dozen alarms I use for various things. Some of them are just backup. There's the gentle strumming harp for "Good morning, sunshine!", then the doorbell or pinball machine for "What is that weird loud sound? Better check it out", and then finally the "Alarm" sound, which is like a highly annoying missile launch alert for "Oh crap, you are LAAAAATE dude! GET UP!"

14. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

My mains powered Radio/Alarm has a similar problem. When I power it off by unpluging it from the mains supply the alarm never goes off. It also will not tell them time. I wonder what the problem is. :D

15. ibanana macrumors 6502

it's a very common feature, specially with Nokia phone

16. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Weird. I've never had a phone offer to do this for me...I have several old phones lying around, and thank god they don't, because then I'd be forced to tear through my junk drawers trying to figure out which "dead" device was beeping...

Only exception was the Treo, but that's because you can't ever power down a Palm OS device completely.

On topic, the iphone alarm is amazing. Use the "alarm" tone, it sounds like blaring air raid sirens. I know it causes me to leap out of bed like my ass is on fire.

17. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

yep.. i've had that feature with my previous nokia's..

18. Baumann macrumors newbie

19. iwood macrumors newbie

every room in a hotel has a phone, pick it up, dial 0, and tell the front desk to put in a wake up call for you. voila there is your alarm

20. synner macrumors member

synner

Hi,

I've had the "Switched off" alarm on most of my phones over the last 7 or 8 years, most Nokia's have it, my wifes Samsung has it and my previous Sony-Ericsson had it. I think it's pretty much a standard feature these days and I'm a little disappointed the iPhone can't do this.

Bri

21. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

Any electronic device needs to be powered in order for some electronic feature to function on it. If the feature works, the device has power running through it. It may be a small amount of power, such as in a sleep mode, but the device is still on.

If you really, truly turn off a cell phone... that is, you actually power it completely off, and don't just put it to sleep... It will not sound the alarm or anything else. Try it... look up the instructions on the manual to make sure you're actually turning off the phone, and not just putting it to sleep, and see if it makes a peep. If it does, the phone is never actually completely turned off... You can test that, too: Take out the battery. Now does the alarm go off? If it does, your phone is possessed.

The iPhone DOES sleep. It drains more power than the Nokia probably because the Nokia doesn't have wifi nor does it have email that checks itself every few minutes even when asleep. Turn the wifi and the email autocheck off and you'll greatly extend your standby time on the iPhone.

Even so, the iPhone is going to burn more power than most phones because it has a 160ppi display and a full-blown OS X user interface with pretty intuitive apps that use a lot of processor and memory resources... especially the full-blown Safari web browser. What do you expect? A battery the size of a nickel that can run an 18-wheeler semi?

Multitouch is very much 21st century technology but that physically impossible battery you're waiting for is gonna be a few years.

If what you want is a digital wristwatch with an alarm that runs off a battery and uses very little power, then get a digital wristwatch with an alarm that runs off a battery and uses very little power.

My watch? ...runs without batteries (but no alarm). :D

22. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

I use my iPhone's alarm when I really need to get up. And like the above poster, there's no way I can sleep through the alarm tone.

If your iPhone is actually powered off (press and hold the button on the top for 7 seconds) the alarm will work if it's enabled.

I have never had a cell phone or any electronic device that does anything when physically powered off.

But who ever turns their iPhone off?

Cheers.

23. synner macrumors member

synner

Hi,

On my Nokia N73, it is to all intents and purposes switched off (no buttons function, screen blank with no backlight, no calls or sms received etc) BUT the alarm does sound, when sounding it gives the option to activate the phone and then goes through the full boot up which takes around 30 seconds.

Also, have a look here: http://nds1.nokia.com/phones/files/guides/Nokia_N73-1_UG_en.pdf

Page 45 - "If the alarm time is reached while the device is switched
    off, the device switches itself on and starts sounding the
    alarm tone"

It more than likely is a "Deep Sleep" but as far as the user is concerned it is switched off..

HTH

Bri

24. ibanana macrumors 6502

it's not true. there is only one way to switch off completely my phone ("Switch off" function, pretty self explanatory) and if i've set up the alarm, it will ring even "off".

amazing isn't it ? ;)