Does the iPhone still have the best display?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FooArk, Oct 21, 2011.

1. FooArk macrumors 6502

Havent been following lately, but does the iphone 4 still have the best resolution for its screen when compared to other phones?

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Yep.

3. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

But others are finally getting close. The soon to be released Galaxy Prime is at 320DPI vs the iPhone's 326DPI. But that display isn't nearly the quality. Samsung has a beautiful AMOLED Plus display technology but the Prime isn't using it, it's using the previous non-plus version. The Primes display is a massive 4.65" with a resolution of 1280*720.

4. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think that monster size screen is crazy. 3.5" is good and 3.7-4" might be the perfect sweet spot. I don't get the point of walking around with giant mini tablets.

5. Time Less macrumors 6502

Time Less

I wonder if a display manufacturer has a 4" screen with the iPad resolution. Maybe that will reduce the fragmentation of apps if the next iPhone gets a bigger screen.

6. thenerdal macrumors 65816

7. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Of course this is an objective question.... some might like different screens for different reasons. On paper iPhone has one of the best res screens, in reality YMMV.

8. naths macrumors 6502

yep for its size....but the masses dont want 3.5" screens anymore,great 2yrs ago,but this year and beyond...nah...to small...samsung have got edge to edge phones coming out very early in the new year with screens that will make the iphone look very poor in comparison,and the overall size of the phone wont be much bigger than say the nexus s,which currently has a 4" screen which in my opinion is the right size,very good screen to,but the edge to edge phones will have the 4.5" screen,

9. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I gafawed. :cool:

10. thenerdal macrumors 65816

Why? OP asked if "the iphone 4 still have the best resolution for its screen"

When, the Galaxy Nexus has a better resolution. But, for it's screen size, of course, but not many phones have a 3.5 inch screen anymore.

11. hot spare macrumors 6502

The only difference Plus makes is that it defines the pixel arrangement - RGB vs Pentile. They both have same AMOLED tech that Samsung uses. Plus means it's RGB. They don't have the mass production techniques yet to build RGB high PPI AMOLEDs. Once they move the production to LITI, they will be getting 300+ PPI in RGB screens.

12. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Yeah the 4 million 4s's sold say different..... I guess that isn't massive enough for your masses? I think the masses don't care about a 4" plus screen, they care about having a phone that works and works well which iPhone does perfectly.

13. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I know of at least 4 million people who disagreed with you last week :rolleyes:

14. aneftp macrumors 68040

4 inch is the best. Apple could easily retain the same iPhone form factor and squeez a 4 inch screen in.

I am surprised Samsung isn't using the plus samoled in the galaxy nexus. Maybe it's a cost issue.

15. GWagon macrumors member

Resolution, yes, but resolution isn't everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAJOa8hc3XU&feature=related

eg. The iPhone's screen looks more "washed-out" when seen next to the comparable model by Samsung. The picture pops more on the Samsung due to the much deeper black levels.

16. speed4tu macrumors member

I have to make the 4 million a plus one. Although I am still using my ip4, but that is beside the point. 3.5 is perfect. I'll buy an ipad if I want a tablet.

17. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

A slightly larger iPhone screen at the same resolution would be great. Maybe 4 inch, because they stand a decent chance of keeping the iPhone the same size with a 4 inch screen.

:)

18. GWagon macrumors member

Personally, I found the screen too small on my brother's iPhone 4 while using the web browser compared to my Galaxy S2. I may just have been spoilt with the bigger screen.

And I don't have any problems with it's size. Due to the small bezel, it feels very natural in my hand and I hardly notice it in my pocket, so each to their own.

19. cube macrumors G5

20. aneftp macrumors 68040

How are people suppose to carry that huge 5.3 inch screen?

Android has a huge issue with tablets cause hardly anyone is buying android tablets (obviously because of lack of carrier subsidy).

So they are pushing the phone screen size higher and higher. It gets to a point where it's too large to carry everyday

I don't care how thin it is. If it can't fit in jeans pocket or shirt pocket, many will have any issue.

21. moargolems macrumors regular

Yes, it does have the best screen, now and always, everything else is ****, case closed.

22. urkel, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011

urkel macrumors 68030

No you dont.

4 million people bought the iPhone 4S last weekend but that in no way indicates that 4 million people WANTED a 3.5" screen. It only shows the demand for the 4S DESPITE its shortcomings. Lets be honest, if people ranked their reasons for getting a 4S then "3.5in screen" would rank near the bottom.

There are a lot of justifications for why a 3.5" screen is perfect because wee little fingers can reach all the way across one handed. But reality is that smartphones havent been one handed devices for years so a larger screen does have huge benefits.

(BTW, Best current display is the iPhone 4. The 4S doesnt seem to have as good contrast or color balance)

23. ExnomenDei macrumors regular

The problem with the Galaxy Nexus is basically that they cheated. It has less subpixels than is usual (usual is three, they use an algorithm to cut out subpixels where they can), because otherwise the monster resolution wouldn't fit on the already oversized display. At this point, that means that the 3.5" iPhone 4/S display still has the most (sub-)pixels per inch of any device.

So yes, it still has the best display. It's just not as big as the one on bigger devices. But to be honest, I carry an iPad, bollocks to big phones.

24. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Honda accords are one of the top selling cars, don't fool yourself into thinking owners wouldn't take a little more HP if Honda gave it to them. People make concessions all the time, everyday.

25. shadrap macrumors 6502

The iPhone has the best screen quality. The end, everyone else drools.