Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Formul

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2010
Czech Republic
Both new Razr and Nexus Prime are using pentile technology. Thats subpar to the full RGB IPS on iPhone (or RGB OLED on SGS2) no matter what resolution and size you stretch it on. Nexus may theoretically fix the pentile technology with its higher full-pixel resolution, but it will never look as sharp as iPhone - both have the same amount of subpixels and Nexus is so much bigger.

Some say the iPhone seems washed out, someone else will tell you the SAMOLED is oversaturated. Its up to your preference in this regard. In all honesty i would never buy a pentile screen without checking it out in person first.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Based on screen size, I'd say yes. 960x640 and 326ppi. Some screens at 4-inches still has lower res. Only reason why of the ppi so high is because the screen is that size. Xperia X1 from 2008 had 312ppi but only at 3 inches. Android OEM's need to ante up on res if screen is getter larger. PenTile doesn't help.

But based on best display, that is subjective. Some will complain of its smaller display which makes it harder to type accurately or prefer the newer SAMOLED screens. It would be like asking if it has the best camera for a cell phone. Maybe or maybe not.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Resolution, yes, but resolution isn't everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAJOa8hc3XU&feature=related

eg. The iPhone's screen looks more "washed-out" when seen next to the comparable model by Samsung. The picture pops more on the Samsung due to the much deeper black levels.
Agree, don't get me wrong, as the Retina screen on my 4 is very sharp and nice... but I feel the amoled screens are better. They simply have more 'pop' to them. Anyone saying the retina is the be all end all of screens is simply a blind fanboy in denial. Their both excellent but amoled has that nice pop to the colors. Especially when their going to be coming out with newer versions that are edge to edge etc. Hope apple does something cool with its next screen, and hope its 4" ...good size, nothing larger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.