Does the iPod Touch Crash Alot???

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bryanc28, Dec 7, 2007.

1. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

I have been researching stuff about the iPod Touch and many people complain about it crashing alot. I really want to get this to surf the web, but I don't know...is there a new firmware that corrected the crashing?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Explain what you're reading about "crashing". I have an iPhone and it hasn't crashed yet. Well, except when it fell 2" from my hand onto the bed yesterday.

3. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I have had Safari restart on me when I load certain websites but thats the most of my crashing.

4. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

5. sreedy macrumors 6502a

Snap

6. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

This is a worldwide forum. Using slang expressions with varying semantics can cause irritations for people from far away. :D

7. Born2Lose macrumors newbie

I've had my ipod touch since september, and it has yet to crash. The only thing i've really every had a problem with is once in a while when you try to load pages with alot of images, it will exit out of safari. But after i reload the page it will work fine again.

8. safetyobc macrumors 6502

safetyobc

I have had Safari crash several times. However, nothing else has crashed or frozen. Everything works great except the occasional Safari Crash.

9. gvegastiger macrumors regular

Mine crashed constantly and eventually threw fatal errors when trying to sync. I've had 2 now and both did the exact same thing, especially on airplanes.

Needless to say I am not at all happy with the iPT and wish I'd never gotten the stupid thing.:(

10. caubeck macrumors 6502

No crashes. I can't think of any errors at all, before or after jailbreaking, that were not caused by my own stupidity.

11. hayakuu macrumors newbie

sometimes it freezes while im using an app. but if you think about it,its not sucha big deal

12. Nicky-Larson macrumors member

Quite so often

Yeah mine just exits from safari if I am trying to run another app. And also, if I am listening to music, and start any other third party app, the music stops and I have to start all over, the worst is I listen to music in shuffle form so I have to listen or skip tracks I already heard. And I solve the problem with restarting the touch again, kinna annoying but its all good if u like it. It crashes so many time, but I think its due to all the 3rd party apps I have installed ( guilty)... :)

13. nazuk macrumors 6502

nazuk

No crashes, freezes, or anything like that here.
    I have the 16gb iPod Touch, not jail-broken either.
    Enjoy :)

14. Mercury7 macrumors 6502

after two months of heavy use I can count about 3 times it locked up.....after a few minutes it rebooted it self and all is well, safari will exit out
    occasionally. Mine is jailbroken....and I love it, just downloaded iphysics yesterday and that is so much fun.....if anyone does not have it yet...do a search and get it!

15. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

i have crashes with every other app i open (jailbroken)
    im thinking of just unjailbreaking, and using web apps till the SDK

16. osirisX macrumors regular

Safari has crashed a couple of times and the music app crashed a couple of times after I installed 1.1.2. Although yesterday the iPod touch crashed pretty badly that it rebooted itself.

17. Mercury7 macrumors 6502

If you are experiencing crashes alot, then consider the apps you have installed as the culprit, simply remove them one at a time and see if you notice a difference, for example after I installed summerboard I had the background dimmer switch enabled....this caused crashes consistently, but I googled the problem and found if I disabled the dimmer it fixed me right up. I have 32 apps on my touch right now with no problems.

btw I stopped at 1.1.1 , did not see a good reason to upgrade and 1.1.1 for me has been very stable.

18. Mercury7 macrumors 6502

BTW BC008, I am not sure if this makes any difference but I used ijailbreak
    instead of the others, I did that because it was the first one that allowed you to add iphone apps during the jailbreak process with out knowing any code....I never installed all that ssh stuff and so I have never manually manipulated any code. I think Ijailbreak stopped with 1.1.1 also so you would need to restore back to that if you want to try it.

19. mrscampi81 macrumors newbie

i received my ipod touch on day 1 of release in the uk and had a bit of a situation upon the initial synching. it had a real bad crash after adding about 4 gigs worth of data, a total failure followed that which required a restore and that seemed to fix it.
    i then had problems with a real bad crash, few seconds to restart kind of thing about once every 4/5 days, wasnt related to anything specific though so was totally unpredictable. came close to having it replaced so many times but kept waiting for a software update that might fix it.

1.1.2 came along though (think thats the firmware number, the latest one)
    and everything is now 100% rock solid.

so in my situation yes it crashed a lot but has since been resolved with a full software update.

because of this tough im afraid to downgrade the firmware to jailbrake it in case my crashing problem returns.

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Mine appears to lock up sometimes trying to watch YouTube videos, but if I'm patient it usually resolves by itself. I'm avoiding YouTube until this problem is fixed. I also had the Touch reboot on me once, in about a month of use. Stay away from hacks, is my advice.

21. pab277 macrumors regular

for me, the only thing that has ever crashed is safari. And that was only about twice, i've had it for 3 months now. The music, videos, youtube, etc. has never crashed on me despite how many apps i was running. I am running firmware 1.1.2, but even when i was on 1.1.1, i still had no problems and I have never 'hacked' my ipod.

22. SkottDMD macrumors 6502

In all I've gone through 5 (including the one I'm currently using) and I have been able to get all of them to crash. It started when playing music while browsing, the music would stop but a couple minutes later it would exit back to the home screen. After a while just browsing safari and cover flow would exit back to the home screen. It's annoying but I'm fairly sure it's a bug that Apple may fix down the line...hopefully. Opening Safari and going to the page again seems to solve the issue for the particular page but it will crash again. I use the Upcoming DVD Cover Art at Digitalbits.com to test out if it's going to crash or not. It may be worth noting that while at the Apple Store and at home before loading content the site seemed to load fine with no crashes.

23. franzmueller macrumors regular

I am restoring my touch while typing this , it is the 2nd time I do it since October , my problems are related to safari and wifi , yesterday i was not able to get the wifi to work no matter what I did so I decided to restore the unit .

Like others said before , the touch still has some minor software issues which will be fixed in future updates

Other than that it is my best ipod ever:D

Saludos

24. bryanc28 thread starter macrumors 6502

bryanc28

thanks for the replies.. i'm am still so torn as to which device to get (iPhone, iPod Touch or Nokia n810??). oh well, hopefully more researching reviews will help me decide.

25. Nicky-Larson macrumors member

Thank You

Thank you Mecury, You did it. Who could think that turning off background dimmer would would solve my crash problems. haven't had one in four days...