Does the macbook pro come with the aluminum magsafe?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sarahjumpee, Dec 5, 2009.

1. sarahjumpee macrumors newbie

if i buy a new macbook pro 13 inch would it come with the old white plastic magsafe charger or the new aluminum looking magsafe?

2. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

There is a new magsafe charger?

3. sarahjumpee thread starter macrumors newbie

mhm. when the unibody white macbooks came out they came with an aluminum looking magsafe charger but im not sure if the macbook pros come with it

4. yaddam205 macrumors member

If you're talking about the MBA/MacBook adapter no the MPB's have a standard adapter.

5. Dr-Ludvig macrumors newbie

Well i know nothing about new/old, but i can tell you my Macbook Pro 13" magsafe charger is plain white..

6. sarahjumpee thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks smacky. so yah i was wondering if i bought a new macbook pro if it would come with the new magsafe

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

No, the 13" MacBook Pro comes with the white adapter.

8. jamesraward macrumors regular

jamesraward

I thought that was just the air due to the position/angle of the socket on the body?

They do look nice though, and more practical.

9. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The new unibody MacBook has a new power adapter. Link.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

11. coast1ja macrumors 6502

You are correct! The 'new' one is actually the regular magsafe for the MacBook Air. Even my Rev. A has this adapter. It's designed like that because the port on the MBA is on the underside, not on the edge like the MBP. The MacBook Pro comes with the 'old' adapter... which is the normal one that all but the Air use. You can use either with any model of MacBook, MBA, or MBP, but the 'old' one will fall off of the MBA if it is placed on a flat surface, you have to have the edge hanging off the flat surface to keep it on.

12. nufanec macrumors regular

Not exactly. The one for the MacBook is 60W rather than 45W on the MacBook Air. The MacBook Pro 15 and 17" also use an 85W version of the flat magsafe design. While all 3 will work fine on a MacBook Air, the Air charger won't charge and power the MacBooks or MacBook Pros simultaneously, and the 60W won't charge and power the 15 and 17" MacBook Pros simultaneously.

13. coast1ja macrumors 6502

I'm currently powering and charging my 13" 2.53 MBP with my 45w MBA adapter. They all work just fine on all models. It does take a little longer to charge with the 45w, but it is not that much different.

14. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

I just purchased a 13" MBPro unibody from Apple store. It is the "white" magnetic charger, which is standard.

The "aluminum" charger is for MBAirs only.

15. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

I wonder why they don't include the new one with the MBP? Probably clearing out the old stock...

16. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

See below.

17. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

For reference a difference is that you will not charge your computer if it's on. It takes more time than a little longer for a full charge to occur. For proper use you need the correct adapter.

18. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The 45 watt adapter can power and charge my 15" MacBook Pro. I have not tried to charge it using the 45 watt adapter when heavily using the computer, but it definitely does power and charge it.

19. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

I edited my post to say that your time reference was too optimistic.

20. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Alright, my 15" MacBook Pro is at 26% at 4:52 PM PST. It estimates that it will be done charging in 1 hour and 48 minutes. CPU is fluctuating between 6% and 20% for normal web browsing. I'll edit this post in about ten minutes with the results and real life charging times with a 45 watt adapter for a 15" MacBook Pro.

(Yes, this is a bit off topic. Although my basis for this test is that the charger I'm using has an aluminum connector.) :p

EDIT:
    Ran the test for 8 minutes 42 seconds, the MacBook Pro charged 6%. So that means it charges 1% every 87 seconds or about 2 hours 25 minutes for a full 0% to 100% charge at the current rate it is going at.

Attached Files:

21. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

MacBook Pro charging rate isn't constant. It'll take much longer than that.

[​IMG]

22. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

I don't know what I'm supposed to be looking at. The link is to the unibody Mackbook Pro, I didn't see anything about the power adaptor.

23. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

MBP comes with the standard adapter.. its the MBA, new Macbook unibody (and also ACD) that comes with the angled connector

24. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

The Apple online store does sell the 60w one that comes with the new MacBook. Says it works with the 13 MBP.