Does the mighty mouse just suck or can it be useful?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by biblicalfury, Nov 3, 2007.

1. biblicalfury macrumors member

I've used the mighty mouse before and was never terribly impressed. I just picked up an iMac and I thought I might as well give it another chance. It's just awful. Right out of the box (without changing any settings on the iMac), the cursor is slow and jumpy and doesn't go where I want it to. I've messed around with the setting for the mouse to no avail. Other mice work just fine.

Is there hope or is it just a worthless mouse?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Try a different surface. Never really had any trouble with it, and I used one up until the BT MM came out. The BT MM does seem more forgiving of different materials, though (laser vs. LED), and more precise. I tend to just use a towel draped over the couch's armrest.

3. biblicalfury thread starter macrumors member

I'm using it on a wooden desk. I would think it should work. Desks, wood, and hard smooth surfaces are generally common for computers to sit on.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The wired MM didn't seem better or worse than other optical mice. It still is dependent on the surface. It has to detect changes in the light reflected off the surface, so if it's too regular (i.e. highly polished), it could have trouble.

Of course, there's always a chance there's a problem with that particular one.

Since it's new, there probably isn't any dirt in it, but it doesn't hurt to make sure it's clean.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

A friend got so frustrated with his that he got creative.

Attached Files:

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Oh, the horror! I'm gonna have nightmares, for sure. ;)

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

so you said youve changed the settings... how can it still be slow? i agree when you first use the mouse its very slow. my settings are in the attachment and they work perfect for me. very fast and accurate settings. do your mouse settings look like this?

ive got the wireless mighty mouse and i use it without a mousepad on a wooden desk and it couldnt be better. have you tried using a mousepad? other mice that ive used on my desk are very jumpy and needed to use a mousepad but i dont use one with the mighty mouse.

Attached Files: