Does the next iPhone HAVE to have LTE for your to get it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by El3ctronics, Sep 13, 2011.

?

Would you get an iPhone 5 without LTE now or would you wait?

  1. I'd get the iPhone 5 even without LTE

    49 vote(s)
    59.8%
  2. I'd ONLY get the iPhone 5 if it had LTE

    10 vote(s)
    12.2%
  3. I'd have to see what other features it had if it didn't have LTE

    23 vote(s)
    28.0%
  1. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2011
    Location:
    NYC
    #1
    LTE on Verizon is becoming quite prevalent and it seems that all their new high end devices utilize their 4G network. AT&T will also be launching their LTE network within the next few weeks. Even if there aren't a TON of devices available for Verizon's 4G network yet, I don't know if Apple can afford to wait another entire year before releasing an LTE iPhone.

    Would you get an iPhone 5 without LTE now or would you wait until next year for an LTE enabled version? Obviously battery performance on the latest LTE devices is definitely better than the initial ones but it's still not where it needs to be so it's a tough decision. I think I would want the extra speed & reliability but I guess I'd have to see what other features are announced. What about you?
     
  2. F123D macrumors 68040

    F123D

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2008
    Location:
    Del Mar, CA
    #2
    There are a bunch of other features I'd want on the new iPhone before I'd even care about LTE.
     
  3. Bartboy919 macrumors member

    Bartboy919

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2005
    #3
    The only way apple will get me to buy a "4S" type device would be if it had LTE in it, otherwise, there is no way in hell I will be buying the exact same hardware with a souped up processor and minor change to the camera. I'll jump to android before that ever happens.

    If it doesn't have LTE, but is a major revamp (bigger/better screen, better battery, some nice hardware specific changes that differentiate it from the 4 and more ram) I will perhaps get it. It probably doesn't help what you're trying to get at though, because I'm on AT&T, and the 5 will undoubtedly have HSPA+, which is good enough for me. If I were on Verizon, and I had an unlimited data plan (like I do have on AT&T), I would probably jump to the the Bionic, I know that is what my friend will do, he was very set on the bionic until her caught wind of rumors stating the 5 will have LTE due to LTE nodes being put in Apple stores.


    In all, deal breaker if I were on Verizon, not so on AT&T (unless they only unveil a 4S type device)
     
  4. Merkie macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2008
    #4
    The next iPhone won't support LTE. Can easily be deduced. Only very few countries in the world have an LTE network set up.
     
  5. Orlandu macrumors 6502

    Orlandu

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2010
    #5
    How many more polls will we see before the next iPhone is announced?

    -> 1-2
    -> 5-10
    -> 11-25
    -> 26-3,000
     
  6. na1577 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2008
    #6
    I couldn't care less about LTE at this point. Give me a bigger screen already!
     
  7. Reach9 macrumors 68020

    Reach9

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2010
    Location:
    In America
    #7
    LTE is not a priority to me. The 3G speeds i get are fine enough.
     
  8. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

    Spectrum Abuser

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2011
    #9
    AT&T launched their 4G network August 21st, 2011.
     
  9. rollerross45 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2011
    Location:
    Surrey, UK
    #10
    One problem about an LTE iPhone, many sectors of their world market don't have 4G, (UK for example) it would mean there would possibly be a whole new site graphics for the UK to not mention 4G, also if its a 4S thats another feature that would make it fail in some markets, due to it not making it revolutionary/evolutionary enough. However Apple's success could make them demand that carriers to make 4G available :D that would be good but unlikely.
     
  10. 305rob305 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2011
    #11
    I have 4g lte and there is no way I'll go back to 3g. I can watch youtube in hd with buffering. Yes, the battery is not as good but I work in a office all day so I can charge whenever I have to.

    Besides, I can turn off 4g whenever I don't have to use the blazing speeds manually to 3g. If iphone doesn't come out with 4g, I won't get it
     
  11. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

    Spectrum Abuser

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2011
    #12
    With all due respect for the UK and the rest of the world.. Apple is a United States corporation. Take for example, Japan. They had phones coming with 3G back in early 2002 and they sold overseas even though much of the world was still running on GPRS. I'd imagine Apple would just have the radio shut off and as the carriers installed and flipped the switch on LTE over in Europe you would just buy a SIM for LTE and update your phone to iOS 5.X or higher to activate the radio.
     
  12. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

    Certinfy

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2011
    Location:
    London
    #13
    I'm with you on this, considering many countries are getting it next year I think then would be the perfect time to go with it.
     
  13. Boots- macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2009
    Location:
    Canada
    #14
    I don't even have 3G in my area let alone LTE
     
  14. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

    Nukemkb

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2006
    Location:
    Columbia, SC
  15. drober30 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2007
  16. Ramio, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011

    Ramio macrumors 6502a

    Ramio

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2011
    Location:
    Houston, TeXas
    #17
    I agree. LTE would be a nice extra since I live in Houston and AT&T has 4g there but since I get 3g speeds of 2.5mb/s and higher where I live which is fast enough, i can wait a little while. It would be nice but not a priority.
     
  17. rockinred macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    #18
    I can't believe how many downplay how big of a deal it would be for an iPhone 5 to not have a 4g LTE.

    First, If you are to get a new phone... it typically comes with a 2 year contract. So right off the bat a standard user is committing to two years before the option of getting a 4g LTE phone??? That's insane!

    Also, all this talk about next years iPhone having the 4g feature so why not just get this one without it for now? Who has ever said there will be another iPhone in a year from now? Chances are slim to none. The 4g LTE is the way of the future and to think a commitment to an iPhone while everyone around is blazing on 4g speeds for two + years will be a laughing stock.

    I really hope Apple doesn't wait for another couple of years to release something this BIG and instead just offer a faster processor and better camera with a new design for now and make that sound like a really cool upgrade. What a bust that would be. Computing and internet are synonymous. Fast speeds equal better computing...this isn't rocket science.

    If these votes calculated the bulk of metro users then the survey sample would be worthwhile. Getting 10% of market consumers that have no chance of getting 4g LTE is no way of gauging the impact of this. 90% of major markets have 4g launching and that is the bulk of mobile telephone consumers.
     
  18. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2010
    #19
    It's a rumor site what else would you expect!? Everyone is speculating.
     
  19. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

    JoJoCal19

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    Location:
    Jacksonville, FL
    #20
    Being on Verizon, yes 4G LTE is pretty much a must for me, especially with the awesome HTC Vigor and Prime about to drop. I live in FL and we have LTE all over. The only other way I'd get it without LTE is if it had an AMAZING larger screen and other features going for it.

    AT&T folks are lucky to have HSPA/+ to fall back on, we are not so lucky.

    Also as said above, Apple is a US company, and if I remember correctly we are one of the largest cell phone markets in the world so yea, I can see Apple making sure it will have LTE.
     
  20. drober30 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2007
    #21
    Excellent point!
     
  21. CWT1965 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 17, 2010
    #22
    LTE hasn't even reached the UK yet so it won't be a factor in the purchase for me
     
  22. tirk macrumors 6502

    tirk

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2010
    Location:
    Wimbledon, UK
    #23
    LTE is years away for most iPhone users. They haven't even had the spectrum auction here in the UK!
     
  23. Geckotek macrumors G3

    Geckotek

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #24
    Most carriers allow upgrades before the end of that 24 month contract so most users realize it's a 2 year commitment to the carrier....not the phone.
     
  24. The Californian macrumors 68040

    The Californian

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2009
    Location:
    Surfers Paradise
    #25
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

    I couldn't care less about LTE.
     

Share This Page