Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
So you admit to contributing nothing to the discussion? The question posed was if an optibay conversion voids the Apple warranty. The answer is yes.

When you've been to law school and have been in practice for a while get back to us. Apple refers to the warranty, points out that the optibay was converted and that therefore the warranty is void, and the arbitrator is compelled to decide in Apple's favor.

Contributing nothing? Not at all. I have dealt with Apple in personal matters and interface with their warranty on a daily basis as an Apple tech.

There are two senses in which the question can be answered: Technically (legally with regard to the warranty) and practically.

I am not going to comment on the law school bit, I know you haven't been either and that is clear from your inability to discuss it. Let's leave it there.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
The question posed was if an optibay conversion voids the Apple warranty. The answer is yes.

So where exactly does Apple say this? The post above all this states that the plan does not cover damage caused by an unauthorized modification:

Demosthenes X said:
You're reading is incorrect. If they were indeed referring to

"B. Damage due to accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider),"

and

"unauthorized modification,"

as different lists, they would be separated by a semicolon (, and in this instance, would also be split into different bullet points (note that each complete bullet ends with a semicolon, indicating a new list). Since the bullet in question only uses commas (except at the end), everything therein is one list. Thus, it's referring to "damage due to (and of the following)".

This is basic grammar: http://www.grammar-monster.com/lesso...s_in_lists.htm

Wafflausages

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
My friend replaced the thermal paste on his 2010 macbook pro and he got it fixed under applecare. I know he isn't bsing me cause I helped him with it. Just make sure there are no signs of you opening it that even means any fingerprints on the battery! (use gloves or something). Also when you send it back it just make sure all the original parts are in there.

johnnj

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2008
Not here
According to page 64 of the 2011 MBP manual Macbook Pros have no user serviceable parts except the "Hard Disk" Drive and the RAM. Therefore, your optical disk drive is not user replaceable and removing it without written permission from apple will void your warranty. You can find the terms and conditions of applecare here if you want to read up and double check. Additional information can be found here, in the policy regarding user installable parts

Actually it doesn't say "hard disk drive". It just says "drive". The optical drive is as much of a drive as the hard drive, isn't it?

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I did not claim that it didn't void the warranty.

You are back tracking on your claim. Apple is under that legal requirement if I ask that they do so (arbitration or suit). And yet again, Apple must provide concrete evidence of their claims. Simply saying "It caused excessive voltage" or whatever is not sufficient. Expert or not, the evidence must be presented.

Not really - all they have to provide is the evidence is on their side - an having a reasonably experienced tech (not necessarily and expert witness) is enough. They do not need to provide "concrete" evidence.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
A clear case of projection - Pot calling the kettle black......
Argumentative for the sake of it..... boring

For me to be "argumentative" there would have to be something to argue about. Here, there is nothing to argue over.

Let me use small words: The OP asked if the Optibay conversion voids his warranty. The answer is yes. Calderone then claimed that "I did not claim that it didn't void the warranty." If he is not so claiming, he is not answering the OP's question and is thus not contributing anything to the discussion. He also does not understand the level of evidentiary requirements in a warranty claim, because his claim that Apple must provide "proof" is, simply put, wrong.

Last edited:

Macsavvytech

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Naimfan said:
A clear case of projection - Pot calling the kettle black......
Argumentative for the sake of it..... boring

For me to be "argumentative" there would have to be something to argue about. Here, there is nothing to argue over.

Let me use small words: The OP asked if the Optibay conversion voids his warranty. The answer is yes. Calderone then claimed that "I did not claim that it didn't void the warranty." If he is not so claiming, he is not answering the OP's question and is thus not contributing anything to the discussion. He also does not understand the level of evidentiary requirements in a warranty claim, because his claim that Apple must provide "proof" is, simply put, wrong.

For Gods Sake!
Just shut up, none of us need to go to law school to know that the amount we have debated this, we are more likely to understand Apple's requirements then a local tech. I think if Apple had to use the force of law to prove they don't need to replace your machine, then it would be pretty big news and pair a bleak picture of Apple. To your comment Apple doesn't have to prove it was user damaged: I don't live in America buy in Australia, consumers have rights, a company has to prove a violation was made for them to be on the right.

iDemiurge

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2011
Portugal
The question is: if you bring your lappy to be repaired under warranty and it has a optibay installed, is Apple under the obligation to fix it for you? According to my reading of the warranty terms I'd say yes, unless they can prove that the damage was caused by the optibay being installed or in its installation.

Now, real-world situations:

1 - Something breaks in your computer that is completely unrelated to the optibay being installed. You take it to be repaired without putting the ODD back in place. Will you be denied service? You might.

2 - While installing your optibay you damage something, say the wi-fi antenna that sits right on top of the ODD. You say ops!, put the ODD back in place, and take it to an Apple Store. Will you get away with it? You might.

Welcome to Kafkaland.

Bottom line: if you make a modification that is not officially supported by Apple make sure you put everything back in place before taking your computer to Apple to be repaired under the terms of your warranty. It'll take no more than 20 minutes and save you a potentially protracted debate.

Knuck

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011
Irrespective of the legal issues as to whether the user installation must contribute to the warranty claim, installation of the Optibay DOES NOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY. According to Apple Care, call them if you need confirmation, any user replaceable items can be installed by the user without affecting the warranty. Any non-user replaceable items, if installed by an authorized Apple tech, such as the battery or optical drive, will also not affect the warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.