Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SphericalPear

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
yes, confirmed. (unfortunately). but that's the US statistic, maybe it's better in other countries.

Is it true that one in 3 units is being returned?

----------

yes, rumor has it that apple retail staff are trying to give returners a hard time with the MPBr, trying to persuade them to keep it. (unclear whether that's official company policy, but that's hard to find out.)

Only problem you're going to have is the reluctant nature of trying to return it

MoxFulder

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
yes, confirmed. (unfortunately). but that's the US statistic, maybe it's better in other countries.

----------

yes, rumor has it that apple retail staff are trying to give returners a hard time with the MPBr, trying to persuade them to keep it. (unclear whether that's official company policy, but that's hard to find out.)

> yes, confirmed. (unfortunately).
> confirmed. (unfortunately).
> confirmed.

Source?

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
It isn't. But the same concept applies here too, it's just not as exaggerated. There is no way a laptop can be "perfect" the first time around. Only after it is released to the masses and enough feedback/data is gathered can they improve the product. IMO, whenever Apple thinks they've perfected a laptop, they will come out with the next "beta." In a way, I think Apple thinks they've hit the height with the legacy MBP, and that the only way to move forward is not via CPU/GPU upgrades, but something new and innovative - like a new display and form factor.

Oh goodness knows it isn't perfect. Neither is my Mac Mini or MacBook Air. And none of them ever will be. Aside from the fact that your definition of perfect won't be mine, and mine won't be someone else's, there are always compromises. A perfect laptop would have a XEON processor, 32 GB of RAM, 12 TB of SSD storage, a 32-inch screen, run for 20 hours on a charge (without heating up) and fold up to be the size of an iPod shuffle. :D

But in terms of whether the rMBP is a not-ready-for-prime-time beta (which I do think applied to the 1st generation MBA) or a laptop that, like every other, isn't perfect but is perfectly usable, I'd go for the latter, not the former.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
That's good to hear. I'm curious how do you distribute your usage now that you have a MBP 15 and a RMBP? I can imagine the RMBP is getting all of the attention.

I basically have only been using my cMBP as backup/continuing to store data. until I could verify that everything had been transferred successfully over to the new machine. Now that I've verified that, I can do a clean install of ML before selling it.

timmyak

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2012
Using it right now; I am new to Macs/osx and really like it.

I bought it because i wanted a powerful slim machine and this fit my criteria; I honestly don't have any issues with it until now;

I am running windows 7 on parallels off of a usb 3 external portable drive [works great and the usb 3 is fast enough; haven't experienced any lag]

running linux server vm and a bunch of other dev tools.

other then that i don't expect to game on it other than maybe Starcraft 2; which shouldn't have any problems at all.

I read about a whole bunch of build problems with rMBP as well as lag; haven't experienced any of them.

I have the 2.3/16/256 model

honestly, i'd recommend it; but it depends what you expect to do with it. for me i was looking for a strong machine with 15in screen and high res.

also you have 14 days to return it if u don't like it, so you can always try it :)

Edit: I am also loving the battery, beats the 3hours i got on my older [2years] hp laptop; getting generally around 9 hours.

Last edited:

Abhorred

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
Montreal, Canada
sad state of affairs indeed.

----------

[/COLOR]that's the word on the street. (in the US)

But by who? It's really all just hearsay and conjecture until there's an actual source. Anybody can say things like "word on the street", so that argument doesn't hold much water.

And citing your own thread about how buggy/"beta" the rMBP is doesn't count as a source.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.