Does the show "The Office" make you uncomfortable or offend you?

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
I just recently got into this show. I saw a few episodes years ago, and frankly just didnt really get it, but after going back and watching a season or two it is actually a very funny show.

At lunch the other day we were talking about it, and much to my surprise several of my coworkers found the show offensive. They ranged in age from early 20's to 50-60 year olds.

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
I certainly don't find it offensive... it just makes me uncomfortable. I find a lot of it really funny, but the parts that make me squirm are just so awkward I can't bring myself to watch it regularly.

edit: when I say it makes me uncomfortable, it's just because of the awkwardness. It takes some serious thinking to imagine being offended by the office.

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
What's potentially offensive about it?
One person mentioned they found the episode centering around diversity day, where everyone had different nationalities written on post-it notes stuck to their forehead very offensive. I found it very funny.

I actually have not seen anything on there yet that would offend me or make me squirm.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It's comedy and it's hilarious. The British version (the original) was downright awesome too. I think one who is offended by that show needs to turn off the TV and go hide under a rock n

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Which one? The American or the original British version? Because no one can inspire the cringe like Ricky Gervais or do discomfort in general like the British can.

I like the show but don't love it. I'm not at all offended but it's almost too cringe-y for me.

Mexbearpig

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Here
I can see how they could be offended by that episode. They did a lot of stereotypes. But judging a show based on one episode is just obtuse.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
My girlfriend can't watch it for that very reason, Gervais really pulled off the awkward boss in that short-lived show. But I love it and nothing can get close to how perfect it was.

Mavimao

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2005
Lyon, France
Never seen the US version, but the original UK show was great, and at times absolutely brilliant.

Does the US version have this scene? It's famous over here..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE6P-lwS0lQ&feature=related
No it doesn't...and it's for the best I think.

The UK office is brilliant and very cringe-worthy. I found myself hiding under a blanket so many times not being able to watch the TV screen.

The US office, I feel, hit its peak in the 3rd season and it's been hit or miss since. But I like it since it's taken its own quirky direction which doesn't necessarily make it better or worse than the original UK version.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
I love this show and I don't think there can be anything offensive about it. Michael does some pretty dumb stuff like "listening" to the GPS and driving into a lake and the grief counseling kind of made me hate him for one episode but it's just fun to watch.

It's one show I can watch over and over again.

I'm waiting till the seasons over before I buy it on iTunes so I can watch them when I want instead of having to wait each week. :D

strangeday

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2009
CA
I just recently got into this show. I saw a few episodes years ago, and frankly just didnt really get it, but after going back and watching a season or two it is actually a very funny show.

At lunch the other day we were talking about it, and much to my surprise several of my coworkers found the show offensive. They ranged in age from early 20's to 50-60 year olds.
It is an okay show. Not offensive. I think people are just trying to make conversation.

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I don't find it offensive at all
"Cringey"? I don't know if that is word, but yeah, it does make me cringe at times

But that is the point of the show
It makes fun of those incredibly awkward situations we have all seen in real life
I don't feel it promotes them, it lampoons them
That includes the diversity episode
It wasn't so much making fun of the stereotypes, as it was making fun of the people that just don't get it and never will

I think the office pranks are hilarious
And the cringe moments are effective because we have all experienced them on some level

I have only watched up to the middle of the 3rd season, but Pam and Jim need to stop pretending they don't love each other
Just sayin'

Woof, Woof - Dawg

pooky

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2003
The UK version was brilliant, mostly because of it's ability to make one uncomfortable. First time I've ever hid my eyes in the face of a non-horror before.

The US version gets it sometimes, but much less often. It's gotten a bit repetitive, a bit predictable, and too much like a typical neo-primetime-soap opera, with heartwarming characters, long story arcs, and all the other crap that ruins most longer-running US comedies.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I don't watch this show, but I've heard good things about it. As far as people getting offended by artistic expression, well, whether it be video, radio, theatre, music, literature, painting, sculpture, or cartoons, "art imitates life".