Does the show "The Office" make you uncomfortable or offend you?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by glocke12, Feb 9, 2010.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I just recently got into this show. I saw a few episodes years ago, and frankly just didnt really get it, but after going back and watching a season or two it is actually a very funny show.

At lunch the other day we were talking about it, and much to my surprise several of my coworkers found the show offensive. They ranged in age from early 20's to 50-60 year olds.

2. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

I certainly don't find it offensive... it just makes me uncomfortable. I find a lot of it really funny, but the parts that make me squirm are just so awkward I can't bring myself to watch it regularly.

edit: when I say it makes me uncomfortable, it's just because of the awkwardness. It takes some serious thinking to imagine being offended by the office.

3. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

4. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

One person mentioned they found the episode centering around diversity day, where everyone had different nationalities written on post-it notes stuck to their forehead very offensive. I found it very funny.

I actually have not seen anything on there yet that would offend me or make me squirm.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It's comedy and it's hilarious. The British version (the original) was downright awesome too. I think one who is offended by that show needs to turn off the TV and go hide under a rock n

6. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

7. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Which one? The American or the original British version? Because no one can inspire the cringe like Ricky Gervais or do discomfort in general like the British can.

I like the show but don't love it. I'm not at all offended but it's almost too cringe-y for me.

8. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

People offended by tv shows like this shouldn't watch tv. Really.

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

If only more people thought that way instead of "I don't like this so I am going to complain in hopes that I can make it so no one else can watch it." :rolleyes:

10. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

I feel other people's embarrassment whether they feel it or not. So, it's uncomfortable for me. I can totally appreciate the show though.

11. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

I can see how they could be offended by that episode. They did a lot of stereotypes. But judging a show based on one episode is just obtuse.

12. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Some people just need to lighten up a little.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Offended by what?

I love the UK and American versions, but I have grown to like the US version more.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My girlfriend can't watch it for that very reason, Gervais really pulled off the awkward boss in that short-lived show. But I love it and nothing can get close to how perfect it was.

15. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
  16. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

17. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

No it doesn't...and it's for the best I think.

The UK office is brilliant and very cringe-worthy. I found myself hiding under a blanket so many times not being able to watch the TV screen.

The US office, I feel, hit its peak in the 3rd season and it's been hit or miss since. But I like it since it's taken its own quirky direction which doesn't necessarily make it better or worse than the original UK version.

18. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I love this show and I don't think there can be anything offensive about it. Michael does some pretty dumb stuff like "listening" to the GPS and driving into a lake and the grief counseling kind of made me hate him for one episode but it's just fun to watch.

It's one show I can watch over and over again.

I'm waiting till the seasons over before I buy it on iTunes so I can watch them when I want instead of having to wait each week. :D

19. strangeday macrumors member

It is an okay show. Not offensive. I think people are just trying to make conversation.

20. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I don't find it offensive at all
    "Cringey"? I don't know if that is word, but yeah, it does make me cringe at times

But that is the point of the show
    It makes fun of those incredibly awkward situations we have all seen in real life
    I don't feel it promotes them, it lampoons them
    That includes the diversity episode
    It wasn't so much making fun of the stereotypes, as it was making fun of the people that just don't get it and never will

I think the office pranks are hilarious
    And the cringe moments are effective because we have all experienced them on some level

I have only watched up to the middle of the 3rd season, but Pam and Jim need to stop pretending they don't love each other
    Just sayin'

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

21. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Seconded. I actually came to this thread to say the same.

22. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Nope. Honestly some of the crap they put on the news makes me more uncomfortable than the Office. Because that's "real."

23. pooky macrumors 6502

The UK version was brilliant, mostly because of it's ability to make one uncomfortable. First time I've ever hid my eyes in the face of a non-horror before.

The US version gets it sometimes, but much less often. It's gotten a bit repetitive, a bit predictable, and too much like a typical neo-primetime-soap opera, with heartwarming characters, long story arcs, and all the other crap that ruins most longer-running US comedies.

24. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I don't watch this show, but I've heard good things about it. As far as people getting offended by artistic expression, well, whether it be video, radio, theatre, music, literature, painting, sculpture, or cartoons, "art imitates life".

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's really hard for me to understand how anyone could not get this...