iPad Does the Smartcover for iPad Air fit the iPad Air 2

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by bearboy, Oct 27, 2014.

1. bearboy macrumors member

Hey All,

I've been seeing the Smartcover for the Air on sale and was wondering if it fits the iPad Air 2?

2. Kendo macrumors 68000

I'm curious too. I can't find a listing for an iPad Air 2 Smart Cover on Apple's website so I am assuming the original is to be used for both?

3. FearGhost macrumors member

FearGhost

Agreed, the original Air Smart Cover fits the Air 2 perfectly.

4. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

I can confirm this also.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yup. The old smart cover I was using on my Air is now on my Air 2. Fits and works perfectly.

6. bearboy thread starter macrumors member

7. chdwil macrumors regular

Yes it does fit. No it is not perfect. The volume buttons do not line up, the rocker switch opening now allows access to half the voume + button. The camera is half blocked by the cover. These could all be fixed with a sharp razor, but no, it does not fit correctly.

----------

No it does not. The volume buttons do not align. The camera is half blocked. It may fit snug, but it does not work.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You're confusing the smart cover with the smart case.

The smart cover, as the OP requested, works fine. The cover doesn't go anywhere near the volume buttons, and folds back to reveal the camera. As a smart cover owner, I can confirm this to be true.

The smart case, is not what the OP was asking about. It may or may not work, I don't know, I haven't used one.

9. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    For those wanting to know on the Apple smart case, not cover- it fits fine but the camera , microphone cutouts don't line up. Also the volume buttons are usable, but don't line up either when using an Air smart case on and Air 2..

10. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

LOL

There are no volume buttons or camera holes in a SmartCover...

11. cindaddy macrumors member

The green Air Smart Covers are $19.99 at Best Buy. Picked one up tonight. As others have stated, fits the Air 2 perfectly.

12. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I ordered the red Smart Cover from Bestbuy.com. It was $37.99 and it arrives tomorrow. I called Bestbuy.com and they priced matched it down to $19.50 (Staples' price).

13. PR. macrumors member

PR.

I'm a bit disappointed in the newer smart covers. Moving from the one on my iPad 3 the new one is only made of 3 segments so it can't be folded in half like the old one which ends up either taking up twice the width on the desk with the cover getting in the way or you fold it back and the 'furry' inside sits on the dirty surface.

On the old one you could fold it in half and then fold it back and only the outside of the cover would come in contact with the surface.

14. Kendo macrumors 68000

Does the Air 2 Smart Cover have a better fit (even if it is negligble) than the Air 1 Smart Cover? Or is it the same product, just rebranded?

15. Momoci macrumors newbie

Where is $19.50 smart cover from Staples? Could you please help?

16. cindaddy macrumors member

17. Momoci macrumors newbie

18. Kendo macrumors 68000

Is it a perfect fit?

19. Breitling65 macrumors 6502

Smartcase fits but... some buttons doesn't match, camera too. Sucks, I am getting new :(

20. cindaddy macrumors member

He said Smart Cover....not Case.

21. Mr.C macrumors 601

In which case it actually doesn't fit. If it did then those wouldn't be issues.

22. TorontoSS macrumors 6502

Think it fits the same but the new one is lighter. And you van notice it. Is it a huge diff? No but you notice it. It's not the same product.

23. Kendo macrumors 68000

Which one is better quality?

24. TorontoSS macrumors 6502

Quality is the same. Material is the same and the colours seem to be too (apart from white and the black one is more grey).

I did this, got a black one (grey) for everyday use. This is the new one. It's nice on the air 2. And got a red one (old one) for half off. It's heavier but just for days I want some colour.