Does the upcoming $99 Nexus Tablet factor into Apple's decision on iPad Mini Pricing?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kblakeshot, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Kblakeshot, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012

Kblakeshot macrumors member

Looks like Google is prepping a $99 Nexus Tablet before the holidays. Does this factor into the pricing of the upcoming iPad Mini? Or is Apple too arrogant to think this will cut into iPad Mini sales? What the price of the iPad Mini will be is really getting interesting!

via BGR - http://www.bgr.com/2012/10/17/google-nexus-tablet-release-date-specs/

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

"Arrogant" is a silly word in this context. Google's business model is far removed from Apple's. Just because they're producing a device at zero profit margin doesn't mean that Apple needs to respond in kind. Google can afford to give away hardware, Apple cannot.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Apple couldn't possibly produce a tablet for $99 that isn't utter rubbish. And neither could Google. :D

The only way this will cut very slightly into iPad Mini sales is with some people where money is really really tight so they find it hard to spend $299 on an iPad Mini, so they spent some smaller amount on something that turns out to be rubbish, and that makes it even harder to buy the iPad Mini.

4. Kblakeshot thread starter macrumors member

I'm definitely not saying Apple should or could make a $99 Tablet. I agree, there is almost no way possible for that to happen. I am just am curious if this helps us the customers get a lower price point seeing they will be coming out around the same time and for the most part competing directly against one another.

I disagree. That's the perfect word in my opinion. Who is Apple competing against making a 7'xx size tablet? Exactly, other 7' inch tablets. So if they come out and price it $299 or more. I feel as though that is being arrogant because that's the whole reason a lot of people are buying the 7' tablets... Price. I get the whole idea of just because its Apple and has the logo on it people allow Apple to get away with premium pricing, but $100 more and probably for an 8GB version????

I know I know... if I don't like it, don't buy one. There, I said it for you.