Does the Vega run hotter than the 560X?

CB98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2018
Just wondering if the new Vegas run hotter than the older 560/X and 555/X chips? I have a 2.6 32gb 560X which I bought soon after launch and it always runs very hot, even under light usage. Obviously it's too late to go for a return/exchange but I'm just curious to know whether the new chips run hotter or cooler?

Also, does anyone know if they updated the cooling system in the Vega systems or whether they've just changed the software to make the fans run faster.

Thanks in advance.

CB98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2018
Definitely looks different! Oh well. The 560X isn't exactly a slouch, but just a shame its still so hot.

CB98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2018
Does it also do a better job at cooling down the 6-core heating beast?
Well what I've heard is that because the power draw on the Vega is lower, it runs cooler itself (I should have rephrased my question to be 'does the whole laptop run cooler with Vega) even though it's more powerful. And, because it shares the same heatsink and cooling system as the CPU, the CPU therefore stays cooler. So in answer to your question, I would assume yes?... Only from what I've heard.

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
The power draw on Vega is not lower, iStatMenu shows 45W on Vega 16 and I haven't seen anybody post that info for Vega20. Even considering that HBM is now included in this budget it still consumes more power than RX series and that was visible in a stress test somebody posted, where the CPU on a laptop with 555x could pull a lot more power while the GPU was loaded. I don't know if that was power or temperature related. I have a feeling that since the VRAM is now connected to heat pipe the keyboard surface may feel cooler - and thus the perception "it feels cooler", but the chip itself probably is not. Again - it would be awesome if somebody just posted the sensor page from iStatMenu while running Heaven or something.

deadworlds

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Citrus Heights,CA
The power draw on Vega is not lower, iStatMenu shows 45W on Vega 16 and I haven't seen anybody post that info for Vega20. Even considering that HBM is now included in this budget it still consumes more power than RX series and that was visible in a stress test somebody posted, where the CPU on a laptop with 555x could pull a lot more power while the GPU was loaded. I don't know if that was power or temperature related. I have a feeling that since the VRAM is now connected to heat pipe the keyboard surface may feel cooler - and thus the perception "it feels cooler", but the chip itself probably is not. Again - it would be awesome if somebody just posted the sensor page from iStatMenu while running Heaven or something.
I remember in 2016 when the new TBMBPs first came out, people were posting all kinds CPU and GPU benchmarks. Now it seems like its harder to get people to conduct these and post their results. I wonder what that's about.

Reactions: lJoSquaredl

FrostyF

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2018
Western Canada
Because fewer are buying at these prices.
There’s about 200 Geekbench compute results for Vega. Lots of people (including myself) waited for reviews and benchmarks to come in and Black Friday deals before pulling the trigger, and because it was a custom order it’s only arriving next week. I suspect you’ll see a lot more results showing up on Geekbench this coming week.

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
There’s about 200 Geekbench compute results for Vega. Lots of people (including myself) waited for reviews and benchmarks to come in and Black Friday deals before pulling the trigger, and because it was a custom order it’s only arriving next week. I suspect you’ll see a lot more results showing up on Geekbench this coming week.
Yes, but the question was about temperatures and geekbench doesn't even make my fans leave idle settings. Heck, I had to run Heaven 4 times in a row to get stable thermal conditions. So geekbench is ok to measure burst performance of a given chip, but doesnt really account for the limitations of a given cooling solution.

FrostyF

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2018
Western Canada
Yes, but the question was about temperatures and geekbench doesn't even make my fans leave idle settings. Heck, I had to run Heaven 4 times in a row to get stable thermal conditions. So geekbench is ok to measure burst performance of a given chip, but doesnt really account for the limitations of a given cooling solution.
My response has nothing to do with that, it was stating that people are buying the machine. That’s why I quoted “appledoesnotlisten”

1096bimu

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2017
I boggles the mind how people can't get the simple idea that there is a distinction between:
hardware that runs faster because it draws more power
hardware that runs faster because it is more efficient with the same amount of power use

Instead idiots keep suspecting that anything faster must therefore run hotter.
maxing out your laptop is btw a stupid way to see how hot it will run in normal use, because max power is not any indication of average power during normal use.
Also people keep talking about heat as if heat is generated out of nowhere, heat=power guys, basic physics. It's pointless talking about heat when heat is so hard to measure and convey over the internet, just post an image of your power draw curve and that is infinitely more comparable and accurate.

Reactions: HenryDJP and tigres

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
someone should put custom thermal paste on the vega 20 gpu and i7/i9 cpu and see how it performs.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Everyone claims Vega 20 runs cooler. Internals have changed.....you can see the difference here, July release first, Vega 20 second:
Huh, same model # and two different logicboards?

That’s a new one.
So does the new 2.6/2.9 model with 560x also ship with the larger heatsink?

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
Everyone claims Vega 20 runs cooler. Internals have changed.....you can see the difference here, July release first, Vega 20 second:
Could you also share the source of these pictures? The cooling doesn't look different to me, the heatsink just covers the entire package now (previously it was just the GPU, with RAM extra). But whats interesting is the increase in complexity for all the surrounding power components. Optimised power delivery? I know absolutely nothing about that stuff...

Jerz

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Boston, MA
Could you also share the source of these pictures? The cooling doesn't look different to me, the heatsink just covers the entire package now (previously it was just the GPU, with RAM extra). But whats interesting is the increase in complexity for all the surrounding power components. Optimised power delivery? I know absolutely nothing about that stuff...
If the heat sink now covers the entire package, how can you say the cooling has not changed? Heat sinks are a direct component to the function of cooling...

Reactions: 0-0 and FrostyF

FrostyF

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2018
Western Canada
Huh, same model # and two different logicboards?

That’s a new one.
No idea...will be tough to find someone with a brand new build considering there’s so much “old” stock available for a better deal.
[doublepost=1543787133][/doublepost]
The full images were posted in the benchmark thread I think, I just cropped them to show where the changes were.

Edit: here you go I found them:
https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/15XmHCu8w-pPBJtM9KL0u3qyA4qkmM1k1?usp=sharing

Last edited:

PROFESS0R

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2017
The supporting design had to change when they changed out the 560X to the Vega. Without seeing a schematic, it is difficult to determine the nature of the changes. Even if you were an expert on this subject, you could not tell by looking at the posted images.

Reactions: FrostyF

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
If the heat sink now covers the entire package, how can you say the cooling has not changed? Heat sinks are a direct component to the function of cooling...
Sure, but the package is also different... The 560X package only included the GPU itself, the VRAM was extra (you see it on the first image, covered by the large heatsink thats not connected to the heatpipe), the Vega 12 package is an overall more compact GPU + HBM2 RAM, and the heatsink has been enlarged to cover the entire package, meaning that the VRAM is also getting actively cooled now. But the size, arrangement and number of heat pipes is still the same, thats what I mean. They obviously had to change the heatsink geometry to accommodate the new chip, but that is pretty much all the extent of the changes that one can see on the photo.

How would that work? The VRAM on the 560x is not part of the GPU package. Different GPU package, different heatsink.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.