Does the wireless technology not exist to have great service in Chicago?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wnxgenral, Jul 1, 2011.

1. wnxgenral macrumors 6502

I just moved here and I am confused... as one of the largest US cities, shouldn't I be getting 5 bars and great 3G speeds? Instead all I get are dropped calls and sometimes no bars... I have a ATT personal phone and a Verizon work phone... both get terrible service. Does the technology not exist to make the wireless network in our largest US cities reliable?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes, it's called 4G (LTE) and it should be rolling out to a city near you sometime between now and the next 2-3 years.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

That's why. More people are congesting the network, especially during day time. In turn, that causes bad service.

The technology exists; they just need to put up more towers to support the demand. The question really is, "why haven't they put up more towers?"

On a side note, I heard Sprint was decent in Chicago. It worked well when I had Sprint and I was up in Chicago at least.

4. FX4568 macrumors 6502

Yea you rather use US cellular in chicago... ATT and Verizon are congested. Spring is also decent. I lived in the suburbs and Verizon was a little better, but nothing noticeable.

5. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

This is why I believe the moon landing was faked. How many years later and I can't hold a phone call? No way we landed on the moon!

6. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I live in the suburbs and I get full bars pretty much everywhere I go and decent 3G speeds.

Downtown Chicago is just too congested. My service is always spotty when I'm there.

If it's one thing I've learned it's that lots of people complain about service and lots also complain about how ugly the cell towers are. It's a no-win situation.

7. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

8. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

It exists. Money doesn't grow on trees despite what people might think. If you think you could engineer a network better give it a shot but keep in mind there are so many people cramped into one space for so few cell sites to handle. Solution is add more capacity but sometimes you can't do that because you don't have enough spectrum, fiber backhaul, space, etc.