Does this battery look bad to you?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SPNarwhal, Jan 7, 2017.

1. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

I'm having my 2015 Macbook Pro repaired (water damage)-- repair shop informed me that the battery needs to be replaced. Great. Another $50 in labor and the cost of a new battery.

I was looking around and I came across this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182354998324?ul_noapp=true

Contacted the seller to ask what happened to the laptop it was pulled from and they told me that it won't turn on, but they don't know why. I'd usually think the seller was hiding something, but it's just a tech recycle shop, so I think they're likely telling the truth. (?)

Anywho. The photos show pretty decent images, and I'm wondering if the chip on it looks corroded or if that's just me thinking that it may? I realize that even if it looks ok, it might not work, but still wanted to grab some opinions. Since there's oddly not a repair section on this forum, I guess the next correct forum would be buying advice? Since this technically is buying advice.

Thank you. :)

2. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

No way. I'd never risk buying from a seller who has no return policy. Plus pointing out it's untested. It's risky if you're trying to save a few bucks. If it doesn't work, you'll have to shell out even more!

3. deany macrumors 68030

deany

You maybe able to claim on household insurance, accidents do happen and this is where they should help.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's a reason why he's selling it "As is", untested and no returns. If the battery was functioning, he would have been selling this for a lot more money then under 40 bucks.

5. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

They're only 70 brand new. I think 40 is actually way too much for this thing. Too much of a risk. I'd say 20 is more reasonable.

Only thing that is strange is
    Yes he is a tech recycle company, but wouldn't that likely give him the means to test the battery? I don't know. It's a little shady.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Can you get a new one?
    How much will it cost to do so?
    Better to do that, even if more $$$.

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

Should you buy a battery that is probably broken for $40?
    Hell no!

8. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I wouldn't assume that. Recycling could also just be a company that strips systems/computers down to send off to harvest the raw materials to be reused for other purposes.