Does this iMac advice sound reasonable..

Discussion in 'iMac' started by easytiger, May 24, 2014.

1. easytiger macrumors newbie

I have (had) an early 2011 top spec imac (27", i7, 8gb), that ran very hot and then konked out. The tech could not even get it to run the diagnostics. I was told that there is no point getting it fixed even if they can find the cause. The heat will have hugely reduced the remaining run life of the other components and I should bin it...
    he said it was full of dead flies and likely this caused the overheat!
    does this sound like sound advice?

Secondly - is there any chance I can use it as a dummy monitor for a mini mac replacement?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Full of dead files that likely caused it to overheat? That's an odd statement. It's probably out of warranty right? Did they quote you a cost to repair it?

Did you take it to an Apple Store?

It could be cost-effective to have it repaired than buy a new one, as long as (when it was working) worked well for you.

I doubt it's positively clear that excessive heat was the actual cause of what went wrong. Did they say what was wrong, like a bad logic board or power supply?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That makes no sense, data is just a bunch of 1 and 0s on the hard drive and have no impact on the temperature of a computer. What does is working the CPU/GPU like intensive games or the fans not working as they should or the thermal compound on the CPU/GPU not applied properly.

4. easytiger thread starter macrumors newbie

I took it to a non apple tech guy - he said it was running at 80 plus degrees when he stopped trying to look at it. Prob the logic board and the transformer were generating excess heat. deff a new logic board, and poss other stuff, but he didn't look into that yet. £600 as a minimum, and then expect other components to fail soon once it was up and running.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'd get a second opinion on it. 80C or 80F (whichever you're reporting) is well within operational limits of the iMac and shouldn't have been a concern at all.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Flies not files!

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Oh wow! HAHA, I totally misread that too! :p :eek:

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

OMG flies :eek:

I thought he meant files. I guess that could account for heat build up, but what in the world are flies doing inside a computer.

9. easytiger thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, definitely flies - the files are safe on timemachine - the flies are fried!

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

11. easytiger thread starter macrumors newbie

i think, but this is pure speculation, they flew in the massive vent at the top and bunked down on the warm bits of the innards

12. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

Take it to a tech that actually knows what they're doing. I would recommend an apple store, as even out of warranty it may still get covered.

13. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I would open it up and vacuum/blow out the dead flies (and any dead files you find in there :D ) and give it another try. Look for any "deposits" on the circuit boards which might present a short and try to remove the "gunk" as best as possible.

14. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

Dead insects can indeed cause overall head buildup, especially if they interfere with vents. Just piled up around a component they can cause heat buildup too, and the iMac is not as easy to cool as a standard tower configuration.

15. easytiger thread starter macrumors newbie

many thanks

I have hoovered out the carcass and started it up.... now it smells of burning insulation. I think a trip to the nearest apple shop (a few hours away) is in order.

16. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That sounds like a good idea. Let us know how it turns out.

17. Radiating macrumors 65816

There is some truth to the idea that running at high temperature would reduce the life of the other components, but it's a paranoid delusion to think that this would completely destroy reliability. Unless there were signs of discoloration from the heat.

18. FreemanW macrumors 6502

. . . . . but no soup!?!? There's the problem.

A client once had an APC UPS go south, it was moving . . . . okay, it was crawling . . . . with ants.

What a mess . . . . ugh.

19. CH12671 macrumors 6502

But still 80 degrees is still well within the operational limits. That should be no problem at all!