Does this seem right to you?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Knowlege Bomb, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

image.png image.png

I've been using the Shortcuts tweak since I jailbroke my 6s. It was free when I started using it. Now there's an update available and I'm getting this error when I hit the update button.

Has this happened in the past? I thought once you had an app or tweak you were given free updates and if they decided they wanted to pull the paid upgrade thing they released a new package.

I realize there's no binding agreement and I'm not entitled to anything but this just seems shady to me.

What say you?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No. This is not the AppStore that once you get it free it's free for life.
    Jb devs don't make anything as close as successful AppStore devs.
    Their work is limited and many charge to update their hacks and rewrite it to make it work with new hardware and new iOS limitations and restrictions.
    Support the jb scene devs and contribute so they can continue to update their packages and put out fixes and improvements.
    99 cents will not make or break you.
    If you like something, if you use it and it improves your iOS experience then support the little guy that made it possible.
    Just my view.
    I pay for the jb hacks that I like and use and glad the devs are still around updating and supporting their work. They can abandon them like a few did and stopped updating them.
    It happened with many but I don't really expect a lifetime of updates and compatibility with all iOS versions and all iPhone or iPad hardware released.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

In general, I agree with AJ. I do think there might have been a note there though (I looked Shortcuts up in Cydia) on the info page explaining that the dev was now charging.

But it does come down to the dev. Some are generous. iArrays, is an example. I paid for Copic once and I've been able to transfer my license to four different iPhones across four different versions of iOS - all without ever paying one additional cent. Same with BiteSMS, same with lots of other tweaks.

The guy that created Gridlock (the tweak we all used before Anchor) decided that the jump from iOS 6 to iOS 7 was big enough to justify charging customers a 99¢ upgrade fee. The rest had to pay like $1.50 or so. Some devs do that, but you get a discounted rate.

I don't really mind. Oh, I may hate that I get surprised by it sometimes, but these tweaks allow me to do stuff to my phone that I ordinarily could not do so I'm willing to pay. In fact, I've bought a tweak sometimes just because I wanted to test it out and there was no other way. My purchase list is riddled with stuff I've paid for, tried once and then abandoned.

I'm not saying that's the attitude you should have, just giving my thoughts on the matter.

But…yeah, it would have been the decent thing to mention in the tweak description that the dev was now charging for the tweak.

4. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I should have clarified from the start that I have NO issue paying for a good tweak and I'm happy to shell out a buck for Shortcuts.

It just seemed strange that the package popped up in my upgrades tab as an "Available Update" then refused to update unless I paid rather than putting out a premium/lite package combo.

**** Edited thread title to better illustrate my issue

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah, and from that perspective the dev should have given some warning.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's not shady imo.
    It's up to him to decide to charge for his app or not.
    We're not all just entitled to someone else's work for free because before it was free.
    Out of that 99 cents, minus Cydia and PayPal fees the Dev is left with about 60 cents.
    Not much to ask for his time, coding, troubleshooting and making it possible for us to enjoy.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I think it might have been nice if he'd mentioned he was charging though on the tweak description page. Not that he owes anyone that, but a little warning would have been good I think.

8. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

You're obviously not understanding what I'm saying. I'm not angry that he's charging for his app. $.99 is peanuts no matter how much you make.

My issue is that it's showing as an available upgrade thus sticking a red badge on my Cydia app yet it's asking for money. Why can't I continue to use the app as I have been and if I decide I want the "Fix issues where it wasn't working for some" update then I can download it at my leisure?

9. eyoungren, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

On the other hand the devs don't force us to update like Apple does. You can still continue to use what you have. All packages in Cydia have a toggle to ignore upgrades even - if the badge bothers you.

I think some warning would have been nice but no one is stopping you from using the previous version if you don't want to pay for the update.

10. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Excellent!

What's weird is that I went to change the package settings and it's not showing as an upgrade anymore. Problem solved!

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's up to you if you want to stay and continue with the current version or pay to have future updates and improvements.
    Not sure why you're complaining and why the sense of entitlement to keep receiving it for free because it was free before.
    You agree or not the way he did it doesn't really matter.
    Don't pay and code a similar function on your own.

12. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Can you quit trying to pick an Internet fight? Or actually read my posts, one of the two.

The post IMMEDIATELY before yours states the issue is resolved, yet here you are.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No issue or the Internet fight.
    Not really sure what the rant over a 99 cent app was but good luck with whatever you decide to do.

14. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

Cocco26 (@cosmin) iMessaged me today to check out Shortcuts since we both use RevealMenu and UniversalForce. I searched Cydia for it... and I seen it was .99 cents... and I was like what? for 3 extra quick menus??? Settings was the only thing I seen useful... LOL. However, I paid for shortcuts anyway to support devs that contribute to the JB community. I've donated to devs and never used what they've made. Hopefully @CPDigDarkroom will support and add more useful quick menus in this tweak.

15. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

The issue is you calling it a "rant" and coming in to basically say "quit complaining or make your own" when it was nothing more than "why is it doing this; I've never seen this behavior with other apps.".

In any case, it's a non-issue thanks to @eyoungren actually offering helpful advice rather than talking down.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Glad you understood why it's doing that.
    It clearly states in red letters why. Because it's a paid app.
    Not talking down just stating my opinion.
    It's not shady asking to get paid for your work. That's all.

17. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

It wasn't a paid app when I installed it. Welcome to my ignore list. Honestly never thought I'd get around to using it.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Now it's a paid app. Clearly as stated in red letters with description and why it's not letting you update for free.
    Why is it so hard to understand and what are you arguing about?
    Ignore list is your option.
    Sorry it wasn't my decision to charge for it or for not telling you what you wanted to hear.
    That the Dev is wrong and shady and you should get free updates forever.

19. quadchick10 macrumors member

quadchick10

I am shocked that a Shortcuts worked for you. I paid for the app for my iPhone 6S and couldn't get it to work. I have sent emails to the developer and to no avail, I have not received a response.

20. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Yikes. So the update to "fix issues" clearly did the opposite. Glad I didn't update. Hope you hear back!

21. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

One of the reasons too, it's not always advisable to upgrade whenever there is an upgrade. As I said, earlier, they can be ignored and that removes the badge.

I've had to do this several times when jailbroken between releases of iOS. Particularly, the release of iOS 7 comes to mind. A lot of the upgrades/updates for iOS 7 at the time were breaking my iOS 6 tweaks. But it's not until the iOS 8 jailbreak that rolling back became possible inside Cydia.

Getting back to something that worked back then was difficult.

22. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

cpdigdarkroom is pretty active on twitter. He posted a .deb file fix yesterday for those that had issues. All responses from the deb file fix were all positive. I usually get most of my updates from twitter. Most modders and devs are pretty acitve there... especially when a JB is released.

23. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Yeah it can be hard to get past the "updates are always upgrades" thinking. I've always had rough time not jumping on updates from Apple when I'm jailbroken. 9.1 is nice but the general rumblings around here seem to be that there won't be a 9.1 jailbreak any time soon and I'm not about to give up all the work I've put in since this latest jailbreak. I've done it too many times in the past and I always kick myself for it.

The biggest issue for me is the inability to restore with a backup from a newer firmware. If I had that option I'd jump and get it out of my system before the signing window for 9.0.2 closed.

24. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Bit late to this thread but as I'm interested in the Shortcuts Tweak to compliment RevealMenu I have , I came across this thread after a search.

Is the current tweak not playing nice ?

I was hoping it was so I could add it to my iPhone.

25. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

It's great on mine but I haven't applied the latest update. The only feature I use is the Settings menu for the respring.