Does this sound right in regards to having iPhone 6 activated

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vell843, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Vell843 macrumors regular

Vell843

I am currently out of the country and upgrade eligible with VZW. I called the Apple Store back in the states that's nearest to me and I asked them if my wife came and bought an iPhone 6 for me, does it have to be activated at time of purchase. They informed me that is does not, it can be activated later (like if it was a gift or something). The only reason this is an issue is b/c since this is an upgrade purchase I still need my current iPhone 5 to be active just so when I am traveling through airports in the states when I get home next month.

My plan is just to take iPhone 6 to my local VZW store and have it activated there and give my wife my iPhone 5. Has anyone ever did this before and been successful? Like I said, I just need my current iPhone 5 active during my flights back to the states etc.

2. Vell843 thread starter macrumors regular

Vell843

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'm not sure what you are trying to do here -- sounds like you won't be using the iPhone 6 until you are back home. In that case, why not just wait until you are back in the country to buy the iPhone 6?

4. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Usually, if you're buying a phone on contract, Apple is required to activate the phone in store. The only way you can activate it yourself is if you have it shipped to you. Then you activate it when you turn it on. I say usually because some Apple store employees may actually let you leave without opening the phone and turning it on. Once it is turned on, it will render your old phone inoperable.