Does this sound suspicious to you?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Jan 27, 2015.

1. JulesJam macrumors 68020

JulesJam

what? That he wants your phone number and address?

2. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Only the part that mentions asking for your address.

Just meet in a public place, and make sure the cash is legit.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

They want you to reply to that email so they can get a confirmed working email and sell it to advertisers.

Email the guy. You won't get a response.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Looks like a data mining / security scam to me.

5. JulesJam macrumors 68020

JulesJam

I don't think that is suspicious as much as it is smart. They want to know where to find you if you end up selling them a phone that is subsequently blacklisted.

I would not buy a phone from someone who wouldn't tell me their address.

6. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Crap, am I gonna get scammed now?? I instinctively replied to the email address in the message asking why he needs my address.

7. iphone X macrumors regular

iphone X

your only option now is to block all the spam email you are going to get.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

You might see some more junk mail.

----------

Most providers are pretty good at blocking that crap. I get tons of spam to my gmail account. None of it actually gets to me though. They throw it in my spam folder where I delete it once in a blue moon.

----------

As a side. It's it's pretty easy to lie about an address. I generally don't let people in my house anyway when they're buying something from me on CL and I don't find that unreasonable. Super easy to lie if you live in an apartment complex too. I just give a street address and we meet our front. No real way for them to know where I actually live nor would I want them to get a free scope of all the nice things they may want to break in and steal.

9. JulesJam macrumors 68020

JulesJam

I would never let anyone in my house either. But as a buyer of an expensive phone, I certainly would ask to see ID of the person. It's totally reasonable not to want to do an anonymous transaction for cash when someone could later get the phone blacklisted by reporting it stolen to cash in on insurance.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Lucky me. My ID doesn't Match my address :p (edite: that sounded idiotic. The address on my ID isn't my current address)

I see where you're coming from though.

11. idanny34 macrumors regular

You can just ignore this person. Craigslist uses a 2-way email relay so your actual email address is fine if you didn't send your reply to the gmail address.

12. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

If you have to ask, then it's better to play it safe and avoid them...

13. JulesJam macrumors 68020

JulesJam

OK gtk so you want to respond through Craigslist.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Yep! I have had plenty of people change their stories. "OH! But I found this for my sister so please write to her at emailphishing@wesellyouremail.com"

I tell them to send the link to my listing if interested. I have NEVER heard back from a single one after that.

I list a lot of stuff (generally electronics) on CL so I am pretty well rounded there. It's a nice place to sell, IMO, but can be annoying, as is evidenced by this thread.

15. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I get this crap all the time. The spammer is trying to go outside CL's mail system to get you email addrtess. You will be added to their spam list for sure.

Needless to say, do not deal with people like this. They are hoping you are stupid and desperate.

16. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

There is a reason CL hides real e-mail addresses. I can see giving someone my phone number, but not until a few e-mails going back and forth take place so I can get an idea if they are actually interested. You can usually tell by the way they write if they are even in USA as well.

17. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Any Craigslist reply without any mention of the actual item is suspicious. That one has other obvious signs. It's a generated reply. Delete.

18. barondebxl macrumors 6502

barondebxl

It absolutely is a scam without a doubt. I'm very familiar with Craigslist and trust me, it's a scam.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

How successful have you been doing that on CL? Most CL transactions (at least iPhones) take place in a public place and specifically so neither party knows where the other party lives for privacy reasons.

20. JulesJam macrumors 68020

JulesJam

Why would anyone who is an honest seller need to conceal their identity?

Privacy is when you don't want someone to know the details of your spousal relationship or something of that ilk. Privacy is not when you don't want someone to whom you are selling a very expensive phone to know your identity - that is concealment. Phones are not like furniture - furniture can't be later blacklisted and rendered useless.

Any of you who would buy a phone from someone who won't tell you their name and address are fools and deserve to be scammed.

21. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Maybe they don't want random lunatics knowing where they live?

22. JulesJam macrumors 68020

JulesJam

If they want to sell a phone to me, they need to let me know where they live so if the phone is later blacklisted, I know where to serve papers on them.

You show your ID anytime you use a check. Are you in fear that the cashier is a random lunatic who will hunt you down now that they saw your address on your ID?

The person who is buying your phone is a not a random person - they are a person you are choosing to do business with.

If you sold furniture on craig's list unless it was in a storage unit, the people come to your house to look at it and pick it up so they know where you live. What is the difference?

23. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I agree. You can tell a sincere email reply from a bad one, if you can't you better get off CList. I agree also that language skills are lacking on many scammers but not all of them. I always ask them for a phone number and then call them aftger I feel they are legit.

Craig's List can be like the Wild, Wild West:p